Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

earning a companion pass: all points are not qualifying points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

earning a companion pass: all points are not qualifying points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ftnoob
IIRC, rolling qualification is based on [partner points / 1200] + flight credits. Flight credits would be calculated per the old program, not as [points earned / 1200] (which would amount to a serious double dip for some...such as BS flyers).
This is correct. That's how I earned it about a month ago.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: Southwest A+ & CP, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Choice Gold, UA, US Air, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by ACEDAD
This is correct. That's how I earned it about a month ago.
What's the expiration date on your 2012 CP on southwest.com? (http://www.southwest.com/account/rapidrewards?ss=0, and click on View Details)
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Southwest A+ & CP, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Choice Gold, UA, US Air, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by ftnoob
IIRC, rolling qualification is based on [partner points / 1200] + flight credits. Flight credits would be calculated per the old program, not as [points earned / 1200] (which would amount to a serious double dip for some...such as BS flyers).
Interesting. Thanks for the confirmation. It's good that this means you can benefit from partner bonuses but its a shame that it renders all 2011 flight bonuses (eg double points for flying in/out of X city) ineligible for a 2012 CP. Understandable that the A+ and BS bonuses are ineligible as that would indeed be a significant double (quadruple even!) dip.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

It's been a long time since I've posted and perhaps this question was answered in another thread, but the bonus points I got from three double-points Alamo rentals this summer all counted as CP-qualifying points.

This contradicts the wording in the RR2.0 rules as the bonus details and descriptions did NOT state specifically that the partner bonus points earned under the promotion I rented under counted as CP-qualifying.

How have others had their car rental bonues credited?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:07 am

I know that the points from my Credit Card (50,000 bonus) DID count, which is putting me close to CP - But I still need to earn a quick 9,000 more points this calendar year to make it.

Does anyone know a way I can do that? I did get an offer to switch my electricity provider over for a quick 12,000 points which I'd do even temporarily just to get the points, but not if those 12,000 aren't going to qualify towards my CP.

IF not, any other ideas how I can get a quick 9,000 points before the year is over and I miss my shot at CP for next year?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BBDDPP
I know that the points from my Credit Card (50,000 bonus) DID count, which is putting me close to CP - But I still need to earn a quick 9,000 more points this calendar year to make it.

Does anyone know a way I can do that? I did get an offer to switch my electricity provider over for a quick 12,000 points which I'd do even temporarily just to get the points, but not if those 12,000 aren't going to qualify towards my CP.

IF not, any other ideas how I can get a quick 9,000 points before the year is over and I miss my shot at CP for next year?
Doubt the electricity-provider points will count toward CP

Remember of course that any WN partner spend gets you twice the points.

You might find some ideas here:

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/0...-requirements/
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I have been on the fence on going for CP for a long time.
The closest I got was under RR 1.0 where I hit 70 credits and then was transferred to a location 2.5 hours from a WN airport and stopped going for it.

Just to confirm if I wait until Jan 1 2012 and redeem a travel package for 120K RR 2.0 and 7 nights at a cat 5 would I then get a full 2 years on the CP?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by stallion114
I have been on the fence on going for CP for a long time.
The closest I got was under RR 1.0 where I hit 70 credits and then was transferred to a location 2.5 hours from a WN airport and stopped going for it.

Just to confirm if I wait until Jan 1 2012 and redeem a travel package for 120K RR 2.0 and 7 nights at a cat 5 would I then get a full 2 years on the CP?
Maybe I am missing something, but how can you get CP status by redeeming points? Was there some sort of promotion that gave you 120K RR 2.0 points as part of booking a vacation? Are those going to be qualifying points? Or are you planning on transfering points from choice hotels?

But yes, if you were able to earn 110K RR 2.0 points in January 2012, then your CP would be good for 2 full years.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironfist99
Maybe I am missing something, but how can you get CP status by redeeming points? ... Are those going to be qualifying points? Or are you planning on transfering points from choice hotels?
Marriott Travel Packages

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Should work for CP, though I have seen no 100% verification. Depending how you value the CP and what hotel redemption you can find, this is a primo redemption.

hindukid reported his dad got a WN CP solely through Choice point transfer to WN. Some of the minor hotel programs like Wyndham bear watching. They have lucrative offers sometimes for points that can transfer.

All WN points (of which I am aware) obtained by transfer from hotel and CC programs (like Diners) have so far counted at CPQPs. Would very much appreciate being informed of exceptions. I intend to track this.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Nov 5, 2011 at 7:35 am
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I really dont want to be the guinea pig on this one.
Also with all of the recent slashing in Marriott (EEO TBD, and the AI packages) I am really scared they are going to drop the Travel packages all together.

The Marriott travel package is 120K miles, or 120,000 RR points, and 7 nights in a cat 5 for 270,000 points.
I really would have a hard time using the CP because I move around and sometimes either dont have a companion or a southwest airport. I figure this would be well used by my parents or friend.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Marriott Travel Packages

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Should work for CP, though I have seen no 100% verification. Depending how you value the CP and what hotel redemption you can find, this is a primo redemption.

hindukid reported his dad got a WN CP solely through Choice point transfer to WN. Some of the minor hotel programs like Wyndham bear watching. They have lucrative offers sometimes for points that can transfer.

All WN points (of which I am aware) obtained by transfer from hotel and CC programs (like Diners) have so far counted at CPQPs. Would very much appreciate being informed of exceptions. I intend to track this.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really would have a hard time using the CP because I move around and sometimes either dont have a companion or a southwest airport.
Well, yeah, I am the first to say if you don't have a regular Companion, look elsewhere.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Well, yeah, I am the first to say if you don't have a regular Companion, look elsewhere.
Unless you are a COS and can be your own companion.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
I really dont want to be the guinea pig on this one.
Also with all of the recent slashing in Marriott (EEO TBD, and the AI packages) I am really scared they are going to drop the Travel packages all together.

The Marriott travel package is 120K miles, or 120,000 RR points, and 7 nights in a cat 5 for 270,000 points.
I really would have a hard time using the CP because I move around and sometimes either dont have a companion or a southwest airport. I figure this would be well used by my parents or friend.

You will not be a guinea pig. This process absolutely works.

There is some risk that something changes in the partnership between Southwest and Marriott to modify the number of points gained through travel package redemption, Marriott modifies the travel package award unilaterally, or Southwest changes CP qualification standards. Year end would seem the most likely time to do one of these changes, but who knows whether changes are in the works or not...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:29 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by indyscott
Year end would seem the most likely time to do one of these changes, but who knows whether changes are in the works or not...
FWIW, most devaluations of hotel to RR transfers have occurred at seemingly random times, not at the end of the year. The end of a month is often chosen, but it has not tended to be December.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:14 am

I am going to go for a CP starting in 2012, got approved for the personal and biz cards, so just need to get the extra 10,000 fast through cc spend and hotel transfers. My question is, can I book a flight for myself now for spring break (April) and then add my companion once I've qualified for the CP? I'm afraid that if I wait to book my flight until I've earned the CP that prices will go up, as spring break gets to be a busy time. I just didn't know if you could add a companion to an existing reservation. TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.