Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR Premier Visa: 50,000 point signup bonus (WAS: 30,000)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RR Premier Visa: 50,000 point signup bonus (WAS: 30,000)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:53 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
Original Poster

Applications for the new premier cards became available on 01-March. I would be astonished if conversions of existing cards to Premier cards earned the signup bonus. Less than 0.1% probability, IMO.

Mrs. ftnoob accepted a targeted 32 credit signup offer, but intentionally did not use the card until after her last RR 1.x closing date. She received 38,400 points, plus her 1-point-per-dollar points for purchases in a single lump sum that probably (didn't check for another day or two) posted the day after her closing date. (Interestingly, the closing date was appended to the transaction description, something like "RR Visa March xx," and the date in the far left column was the presumed posting date, one day after the statement closing date; that is two changes from how things used to be.)

Importantly, all points were counted towards CP. That could change in the future, and there is no guarantee that the Premier card signup points will post the same way.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Applications for the new premier cards became available on 01-March. I would be astonished if conversions of existing cards to Premier cards earned the signup bonus. Less than 0.1% probability, IMO.
Since they are technically two separate cards, could you apply for the new Premier card and receive the signup bonus if you already had the old card?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

The fine print contains the usual disclaimer:
This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Cardmembers. Previous and existing Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer.
If you have only the existing personal Signature card and have not recently had the Business card, you should be able to get 30,000 points on first use of the RR Premier Business Visa.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: WN, A-List, Hertz 5-Star Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gjjbmoore
Since they are technically two separate cards, could you apply for the new Premier card and receive the signup bonus if you already had the old card?

I tried this a few weeks back and got a letter from Chase informing me I already had a Signature Card and couldn't have 2 RR cards at once.......so I guess it's no......so now I'm trying to get my current card converted.......
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Belated "Welcome to FlyerTalk!", MongoLV, and thanks for the report.

From a different thread:
There had been two other tidbits about this offer that seemed worth noting, but I can no longer find them mentioned on the offer page.
One of those tidbits that I saw back in the third week of January, but which disappeared within a day or several, was that there is a limit of one RR Personal Visa per cardholder. At the time I figured it was an inadvertent leak of a provision that would apply once the Premier card arrived post-transition. I was surprised to not see any mention of that restriction on 01-March. It would now appear that my initial guess was correct: the info was only intended to apply post-transition, so its appearance back in January was an accidental leak. I haven't checked recently to see whether that clause has reappeared online.

Also note this observation upthread:
I would be astonished if conversions of existing cards to Premier cards earned the signup bonus. Less than 0.1% probability, IMO.
Most likely, you will need to cancel your existing RR Visa, wait an adequate amount of time, then apply for the Premier version to have much of a shot at earning the 30,000 points.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: WN, A-List, Hertz 5-Star Gold, Hilton Diamond
BTW....I just called Chase and had my card 'converted'.....no mention of the 30,000 points (but I wasn't expecting to see them).....Should have the new card in a week or 2...

PS the reason I waited till April was because of an email I had received from an inquiry I sent to Chase about the Premier card.....I was told I couldn't convert until 4-1........
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

The RR Visa Signature card now being advertised costs $69/year. Presumably all existing Signature card holders will see their fee increase $10 at their next renewal.
I just noticed that Mrs. ftnoob's statement that closed mid-March says the $59 annual fee will be billed May 1. Though it would be nice, I don't necessarily expect all current cards to be grandfathered indefinitely at that fee. It appears, however, that we are safe from an increase through at least May 1. One thing Chase might do is raise the fee when they replace your expiring card.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If existing cardholders apply for the new Premier card, is there a best way to do so, to possibly get another sign-up bonus?

Not that I have much hope of it.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:16 pm

My $59 fee posted on April 1. As I said in post #27, I understand they would need to notify all cardholders if the fee were being raised for them.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

tmb, you might not even be able to get the card, yet alone the bonus. As in the past, however, the personal and business cards should be treated as separate products. So if you have the personal Signature card, apply for the Premier Business card. If you already have both, you'll have to cancel one and wait.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

rove312, you would need to go to a finance forum to delve into this more, (especially due to the law change) but I would not count on the notice to be especially noticeable. See for example (pre-law change) Important credit card rate change notices disguised as junk mail. Or that little paragraph on my wife's statement, had it read anything other than $59, may have satisfied the notice requirement. We've already had speculation that it could take a few months for the fee change to start rolling out, if in fact it will change. May 1 would have been a stretch, but plausible; April 1 improbable, IMO.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

The 50,000 point offer ("two free flights") is now open to all. Also available as a business Visa.
How long before we see a targeted version with the first year annual fee waived?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:11 pm

What's the difference between the premier card, the signature card, and the Rapid Rewards Plus card?

I have the signature card. The new promo for the 50K points is for the premier card. On the same page you can instead get the RR Plus card with a 30K point bonus.

What's the difference among the three?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:20 am

I see: Premier, $99 fee, 6000-point anniversary bonus (so the fee gets reimbursed with $100 in free WGA travel).

Plus, $69 fee, 3000-point anniversary bonus.

These both say Visa Signature on them, and the site says "If you do not qualify for the Signature card, you will automatically be considered for a Visa Platinum card. The Signature and Platinum cards have different credit availability and benefits." These are Visa-wide benefits; for instance, Signature cardholders could recently (or still can?) get a trial of Hilton Hhonors Gold status. If you have a pre-2.0 Signature card, my understanding is that you have a $59 fee and a 3000-point bonus until word comes out saying otherwise.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:29 pm

RR 50k visa

Has anyone applied for both the personal and business card? Will Chase give you two awards? I'm new to the game and would like to apply for both if it is likely Chase will give two awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.