Bombshell: "Two free flights" CC offer

Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:10 pm

Applying for SWA visa now

I suspect this info is somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it. If I apply now for the SWA visa, with 2 free RT tickets after the first purchase, what will I receive. I expect that it will take more than 2 weeks to get the credit card, make a purchase, and have it reflected on a statement. I emailed SWA and got a response that totally did not answer my question. I called and they said I would get 32 credits, but given what it does say on the SWA site regarding purchases made prior to 3/1, but posting after that date, , I am not sure I believe the rep. Does anyone know for sure?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Welcome to the warm and friendly RR forum, headoflife!

The offer that you presumably are using is discussed here. There is considerable difference of opinion as to how that signup bonus will post. It remains an open question.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by headoflife
I suspect this info is somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it. If I apply now for the SWA visa, with 2 free RT tickets after the first purchase, what will I receive. I expect that it will take more than 2 weeks to get the credit card, make a purchase, and have it reflected on a statement. I emailed SWA and got a response that totally did not answer my question. I called and they said I would get 32 credits, but given what it does say on the SWA site regarding purchases made prior to 3/1, but posting after that date, , I am not sure I believe the rep. Does anyone know for sure?
I applied and was approved January 23rd. I received my card 6 days later, called to activate it and used it the morning of January 30th. When my statement closed a few days later, I paid the card off. I received 2 credits. I called about the bonus and was advised it would post on or about March 3rd. My goal was to convert the 2 round trips into 1 Freedom round-trip, but the award timing looks like that won't happen.

FYI - Chase had me fax in my documentation because they are saying the bonus is 1 round-trip. I still don't have confirmation and am waiting for them to actually post.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I can definitively report that the free flight bonus for the other offer (one free trip + $500 SWA gift cards) posts as a standard award, not as 16 credits generating a standard award. In other words, you get no help toward CP qualification, just the free trip. One posted for me today and I checked my wife's similar card and it posted the same way last fall.

Given this experience, I'm guessing that the new offer of two free tickets will post as two standard awards, not as points, even if it posts in March.

Edited to add: I re-checked my wife's account and she did indeed get the 16 credits. However I did not. I believe that Southwest's software has been updated to allow standard awards to be sent from the bank as awards, rather than as credits. Therefore I stand by my guess that these will post as standard awards even after February.

Last edited by nsx; Feb 17, 2011 at 10:35 pm
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I can definitively report that the free flight bonus for the other offer (one free trip + $500 SWA gift cards) posts as a standard award, not as 16 credits generating a standard award. In other words, you get no help toward CP qualification, just the free trip. One posted for me today and I checked my wife's similar card and it posted the same way last fall.

Given this experience, I'm guessing that the new offer of two free tickets will post as two standard awards, not as points, even if it posts in March.
Hmmm, here is what my wife got in September for her bonus:

09/21/10 Standard RT Award Issued
09/19/10 16 16 Rapid Rewards Visa Credit

No way she spent that much on the card, so these must be bonus credits, and they are counting on her Companion Pass qualification page.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:44 am

Fine Print-2 free trips only for NEW card members.

Not sure if this was mentioned. But this offer is only good for new card members. If you are an existing card member like I am, you will not receive the 2 free round trips.

Just FYI.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by GottaLuvCruising
I applied and was approved January 23rd. I received my card 6 days later, called to activate it and used it the morning of January 30th. When my statement closed a few days later, I paid the card off. I received 2 credits. I called about the bonus and was advised it would post on or about March 3rd. My goal was to convert the 2 round trips into 1 Freedom round-trip, but the award timing looks like that won't happen.

FYI - Chase had me fax in my documentation because they are saying the bonus is 1 round-trip. I still don't have confirmation and am waiting for them to actually post.
My 2 free standard awards posted today. I'll convert them to one freedom award...mission accomplished.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by milesintexas
Not sure if this was mentioned. But this offer is only good for new card members. If you are an existing card member like I am, you will not receive the 2 free round trips.

Just FYI.
Not necessarily. My wife jumped on this offer last year (from an email) and received 2 r/t awards. She was a previous cardholder from 2008. Never say never.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:32 pm

The fine print

Originally Posted by philemer
Not necessarily. My wife jumped on this offer last year (from an email) and received 2 r/t awards. She was a previous cardholder from 2008. Never say never.
I will try and see if I receive 2 free flights. The fine print says only new cardholders. But I am going to try and see if I can get 2 free flights since I already have a Southwest CC.

Tell you how it goes.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
My 2 free standard awards posted today. I'll convert them to one freedom award...mission accomplished.
Did you get 32 credits, that would count towards CP? Or just 2 free r/t?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:09 pm

Bmir,

My two free flights posted on 2/15. When I went to the Companion Pass page, it showed 32 credits posting on 2/15.

Alas, I don't travel much, so there's no way that I'll actually earn a Companion Pass. I hope you travel more and that getting the 32 credits would make it possible for you to get one.

Last edited by HornDawg1957; Feb 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by bmir
Did you get 32 credits, that would count towards CP? Or just 2 free r/t?
Just 2 free round-trips.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: Bopping Field Mice on their Heads
Just 2 free round-trips.
But won't the credits/points from those r/t count towards CP? Am I missing something?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by FluffyBunnyFuFu
But won't the credits/points from those r/t count towards CP? Am I missing something?
Not according to my account.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
As I posted on the other thread:

Originally Posted by nsx
I am pretty sure that free trips will post as Standard Awards. They have recently been posting as awards with no credits, so there's no problem posting them as awards with no points. @:-) In fact, I believe that this transition is why we have seen the recent change to credit-less promo awards from Chase.
Besides eliminating the potential 32% boost toward a Companion Pass, this posting method also eliminates a potentially crucial bump in the expiration date of your credits. For my account it didn't make much difference, but for an infrequent traveler this change from prior policy will hurt. It would have been nice to have a full 2 years to rescue any leftover RR 1.0 credits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.