Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by harold
Those flights are still not showing up under "My Travel" in the new system for me either. Who knows, maybe under the new system they never will show up. However, you should have received email confirmations with the reservation number when you booked. I can still pull up the flights manually. I just can't see them all at once like in past.
Thanks Harold. Yes, I do still have the email as well as printed itineraries. You are right in that maybe this is something that will not show anymore (although curiously Companion reservations under a different name still appear under the "My Travel" section.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Thanks Harold. Yes, I do still have the email as well as printed itineraries. You are right in that maybe this is something that will not show anymore (although curiously Companion reservations under a different name still appear under the "My Travel" section.

Well, you're a step ahead of me then. My previously booked companion pass reservations are NOT showing up under "My Travel". Go figure.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Jury still out on redemptions

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Could RR 2.0 be unsustainably generous to some passengers?

With all the talk of devaluation, there's been almost no attention paid to the folks who are going to make out like bandits. There are going to be quite a few perma-A+ passengers. When they fly BS they'll be earning 24 points per dollar, essentially forever. Consider someone who flies 4 BS OW flights per month at $300 each. That's $14,400 of "airfare", and at 24 points per dollar, 345,600 points per year. At 60 points per dollar for WGA redemptions, that's enough points for $5,760 of "airfare," a 40% "rebate." Even if used on $320 RTs, that's the equivalent of 18 Standard Awards. Under the old rules, that passenger would have earned between 60 and 96 credits, so 3.75 to 6 RTs. That person is at least 3x better off under 2.0. There are going to be people who have points out the wazoo.

Corporate travelers in circumstances like this won't care much about the redemption rate for international and Hawai'i travel, they'll have more points than they can possibly use. I think most of us, however, will find those redemption rates horribly unattractive.
I will be making out just fine on accumulating points, better than RR1. What remains to be seen is how the redemption is going to shake out over time. I have yet to redeem a points award.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Am I losing by not using RR Visa?

I have been trying,pretty much unsuccessfully, to wrap my hands around whether to continue to use my RR Visa.

I am A-list,CP expires 2012.

I have enough awards for now and will continue to accumulate through flying,although very much diminished since I have encountered so many problems with the website and WN's attitudes toward their responsibility for them.

I have always used my Visa to supplement if necessary, to attain CP. Since I do not need to requalify until 2012, am I correct in thinking that except for point accrual, there is no point in me using the Visa over another CC for the remainder of 2011?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by freeflyin
I have always used my Visa to supplement if necessary, to attain CP. Since I do not need to requalify until 2012, am I correct in thinking that except for point accrual, there is no point in me using the Visa over another CC for the remainder of 2011?
Correct. I would cancel the RR Visa (assuming you have held it > 6 months) and plan to reapply late Dec 2011 for a juicy Jan 2012 signup bonus. If you are a low-fare customer whose only hope for CP renewal is reaching 100 paid flights, then what you do with the Visa card doesn't really matter.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
Correct. I would cancel the RR Visa (assuming you have held it > 6 months) and plan to reapply late Dec 2011 for a juicy Jan 2012 signup bonus. If you are a low-fare customer whose only hope for CP renewal is reaching 100 paid flights, then what you do with the Visa card doesn't really matter.
I have held the card for several years so canceling is not a problem. I usually purchase Anytime fares with an occasional BS thrown in,unless it is a leisure trip with the family which will be WGA fare. But I still do not see the Visa being much value to me for the rest of this year-do you agree?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:46 pm

I have held the card for several years so canceling is not a problem. I usually purchase Anytime fares with an occasional BS thrown in,unless it is a leisure trip with the family which will be WGA fare. But I still do not see the Visa being much value to me for the rest of this year-do you agree?
One plus is that with the Premier card, you can earn qualifying points toward A-List or A+.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by pshuang
And in RR 2.0, that extremely infrequent traveler at least always has the option of cashing out however many points have been accumulated at 1.67 cents, without having to get to any specific redemption threshold at all.
I must have missed something. How do you cash out points at 1.67 cents per point without having to reach any threshold? For example, suppose I collect 600 points for a car rental. How do I get my $8 for those points?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:08 pm

I guess that poster meant the only threshold needed is the number of points needed for a published fare. If there's a $30 fare, 1800 points will get it.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by Peter Silberman
One plus is that with the Premier card, you can earn qualifying points toward A-List or A+.
Mr. Pearl (who is retired and only travels on my CP) received an offer to apply for the premier card. I, on the other hand (the one still working who actually pays for all the travel) have not received the offer. I keep thinking they'll invite me to apply rather than me having to contact them and ask. You'd think they would want me to upgrade since there is a higher annual fee. Am I missing something here?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
That's how I view it. The Chase/SWA RR card essentially has a benefit of $600 spending gets you $10 worth of WGA ticket. If you already have more RR points than you can use, then it's better to grab another reward card that will earn rewards you will actually use. One caveat: with RR 2.0, the points don't expire, so if you think you'll use the points, even though it may take a couple of years, then the Visa is still worth it.

nerdwallet has a bunch of reward offers to compare.

Last edited by jn in ca; Mar 17, 2011 at 11:59 am
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Just logged in today first time since program switched over.

WN's website, from booking now to RR, has gotten complicated, convoluted, and just plain messy. And my award still expires only 1 year after having earned it.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Was this the pre-release internal approval process for RR 2.0?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.