Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

If the software functions as it should, you'll only need to convert 900 points for your 0.75 credit. You are correct that the one year clock on the award will only start ticking once you cause it to be issued, but don't forget the two year clock on all your credits will continue to tick. You might or might not be willing to let a credit roll off before exercising your option (at the cost of an additional 1,200 points), but don't let that happen by accident.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by upgrader
Looks to me that I don't need to rush to get the last .75 credit before March 1 since I will have a one-time opportunity to convert 1200 points earned after March 1 to get the remaining 1 credit I need (actually .75) to complete the standard award and that it may even benefit me to wait to get the new points until I need that additional award since the clock on the one year expiration won't start ticking until I top off that last point. Am I correct in my interpretation?
Mostly. Except that you won't need to convert the full 1200, you'll only need to convert 900. When I log in to newrapidrewards.com, it shows that I'll need to convert 3900 points for my remaining 3.25 credits, so it seems to me that it will allow increments of 300 points, and you don't have to "waste" points on converting to full credits that you don't need.

And don't forget that if your credits will be expiring on that rolling 24 month window, so make sure you do the top off before the first one expires.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:44 pm

Rather Switch than WN?

I do most of my flying on the west coast and out to Tucson. Who is my best switch? I'm thinking USAir or maybe Alaska. Any opinions? I fly about 7 or 8 times a year including redemptions once in a while.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by mritty
Mostly. Except that you won't need to convert the full 1200, you'll only need to convert 900. When I log in to newrapidrewards.com, it shows that I'll need to convert 3900 points for my remaining 3.25 credits, so it seems to me that it will allow increments of 300 points, and you don't have to "waste" points on converting to full credits that you don't need.

And don't forget that if your credits will be expiring on that rolling 24 month window, so make sure you do the top off before the first one expires.
Another strategy would be to try to get another full credit or two between now and 3/1 since you're so close to an Award. This way, you'd be able to get two Standard Awards. The first would be earned with the final .75 credit you need as of today. The second could then be obtained by converting the remaining credits with points. So, if you could get two more credits by 3/1 (remember they have to post by 3/1, not just be earned), the remaining 1.25 would be valid, but only in the context of converting points to credits to top off what would be your final SA. Should be lots of discussion earlier in this thread about this idea.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by curunir
I do most of my flying on the west coast and out to Tucson. Who is my best switch? I'm thinking USAir or maybe Alaska. Any opinions? I fly about 7 or 8 times a year including redemptions once in a while.
I'm currently smitten with US Airways...but for a bunch of other reasons.

With your flight frequency and location, I'd stick with WN: Frequency, reliability, direct flights, full-size airplanes, and points that won't expire with regular activity.

8, 10 flights (up and down the west coast) a year isn't quite enough to attain elite status so I wouldn't even think about any other airline..
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:10 pm

I appreciate the additional good thinking on my issues. I'm not sure I handled this the best way but I decided to move 1500 SPG points to WN for 1 credit, giving me a 16.25 total. Hopefully the SPG transfer will take place in the next 12 days - the transfer seems to be running from 8-10 days according to the reports of other posters. After the standard award I'll then have a credit balance of .25 so that after 3/1 I can accrue points until I can do my one-time top-off of the .25 credit balance with the points from the new system. I thought about small purchases rather than SPG but was concerned they would not show up on WN records by 2/28, as was pointed out above. SPG was my only option in terms of accounts from which I could transfer in points to WN.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Hey, check this out:

Current Balance Towards Companion Pass: 99.50
Credit Needed for Companion Pass: 0.50
Credit Needed by: 04/14/2011
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:00 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by nsx
Points will be sold in blocks of 1,000 for $25, with a minimum purchase of 2,000 for $50. The maximum purchase is 40,000 points.
For some reason I had always been reading this as "the maximum purchase is 40,000 points per year." Yet it doesn't say that. And the newRR pages don't address it, either:
Can I buy points?
Yes. A Member will have the ability to purchase Rapid Rewards Points. Point purchases must be paid for with a credit card and can be made at southwest.com. Rapid Rewards Points will be offered in blocks of 1,000 with a minimum purchase of 2,000, maximum of 40,000.
I was recently reading about a program that limits points purchases on a per-transaction basis (maybe with a one transaction per 24 hours rule). So now I realize it might be possible to buy 40,000 RR 2.0 points on March 1, then come back a day, week, or month later for another go.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If points can be purchased in unlimited quantities, in a best-case scenario you could "buy the CP" for under $400 net a year, using the WN Visa (2 points per dollar), and buying on Jan. 1, 2, 3:

$25 gets you 1000 points, plus 50 for the WN CC use.

110000/1050 = 104.8

(104.8 x $25) = $2620.

The 110000 points are worth (110000 x 1.67 cents [WGA])= $1837. Difference is $783, but you only have to do it every 2 years.

$392 a year.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
Given the routes you fly, you probably pay $70-$100 each way. Under the old program, 16 one ways gets you a free trip anywhere SW flies. But, it is subject to capacity restrictions, so you can't reliably know you will be able to use your free ticket when you want to.

Under the new program, you essentially earn a 10% rebate good for future travel on your tickets. In theory, the value is significantly less then the potential value of the free ticket you were earning under the old program, but you can reliably count on using your credits when you want.

So, the decision of which program is better depends on what you value--the opportunity of a high yield free ticket that you can not reliably use, or a lower value free ticket that you have confidence you can use when you want.

One other consideration: See the discussion a few posts up. There is a discussion of how less frequent travelers will essentially forfeit all their accumulated credits effective March 1. You exactly fit this profile of traveler. So, most likely, SW will start confiscating any orphan credits in your account starting March 1. So, you will essentially starting a new reward from scratch March 1.
Thanks for all the input. I currently have only 2.5 credits toward the next ("old") award, and I'll get 2 more this weekend, but I'll still have only 3.5 credits which might expire or be orphaned. Does it make sense for me to "do something" about these credits?
My initial impression is that in the future I'll use Southwest when convenient, but that the new program is unlikely to induce me to take additional discretionary trips.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
If points can be purchased in unlimited quantities, in a best-case scenario you could "buy the CP" for under $400 net a year, using the WN Visa (2 points per dollar), and buying on Jan. 1, 2, 3:

$25 gets you 1000 points, plus 50 for the WN CC use.

110000/1050 = 104.8

(104.8 x $25) = $2620.

The 110000 points are worth (110000 x 1.67 cents [WGA])= $1837. Difference is $783, but you only have to do it every 2 years.

$392 a year.
Do purchased points count towards CP qualifying? T & C's on newrapidrewards.com say this:

Members who earn 110,000 points from flying Southwest Airlines flights and/or points earned through Rapid Rewards Partners or who fly 100 Southwest Airlines flight segments per calendar year will qualify for a Companion Pass, which entitles a designated traveling Companion to fly free with the Member for one year on Southwest Airlines flights.

They aren't specifically excluded but they are not part of the statement above either.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benmaller
Do purchased points count towards CP qualifying? T & C's on newrapidrewards.com say this:

Members who earn 110,000 points from flying Southwest Airlines flights and/or points earned through Rapid Rewards Partners or who fly 100 Southwest Airlines flight segments per calendar year will qualify for a Companion Pass, which entitles a designated traveling Companion to fly free with the Member for one year on Southwest Airlines flights.

They aren't specifically excluded but they are not part of the statement above either.
Yeah, on second thought, it's doubtful my plan would work.

Presumably Southwest itself is not a Southwest partner.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by card1953
Thanks for all the input. I currently have only 2.5 credits toward the next ("old") award, and I'll get 2 more this weekend, but I'll still have only 3.5 credits which might expire or be orphaned. Does it make sense for me to "do something" about these credits?
My initial impression is that in the future I'll use Southwest when convenient, but that the new program is unlikely to induce me to take additional discretionary trips.
I'm in about the same boat (I will have probably 3 old credits). I will probably just let them expire except if I see a standard award I really need to use on a flight and it's more than 19,200 points in "value."

I should have been thinking more and stopped using my SW cc after the last reward until the new system started. It's only about $40 in rewards from other credit cards but since I hate to leave money lying around, it still bugs me a little.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by jrpaguia

With your flight frequency and location, I'd stick with WN: Frequency, reliability, direct flights, full-size airplanes, and points that won't expire with regular activity.

8, 10 flights (up and down the west coast) a year isn't quite enough to attain elite status so I wouldn't even think about any other airline..
Yep. WN does have the most consistantly low fares to So. Cal. but with RR2.0 I'll look at USAir for Tucson and Delta for SLC and Alaska for the Pacific Northwest. It seems strange that WN is going from a position of where the Legacies have to react to WN to where WN will have to react to the Legacies. Isn't it better to fight the enenmy on your battlefield than his?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by curunir
Originally Posted by jrpaguia

Yep. WN does have the most consistantly low fares to So. Cal. but with RR2.0 I'll look at USAir for Tucson and Delta for SLC and Alaska for the Pacific Northwest. It seems strange that WN is going from a position of where the Legacies have to react to WN to where WN will have to react to the Legacies. Isn't it better to fight the enenmy on your battlefield than his?
Just remember that WN has the most flights at Tucson. The problem with US to Tucson is they make you stop in Phoenix every time. If the PHX-TUS flights are late (like the one that flew over my house at 3:15a the other night) you're going to lose a lot of time sitting around T4. If you're coming here with any regularity, it might be something to factor in.

Alaska is a very good option for SoCal-PNW. I don't usually take WN on those routes, unless Alaska is overpriced.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.