Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Has anything substantive been released re: international Awards or tickets on other carriers with RR 2.0? If so, I certainly missed it. All I remember is a rumor that some journalist got the impression at the announcement it would be 120 RR 2.0 points per dollar.
They aren't going to give you a stated and fixed number of points per dollar. The travel agency will shop for a ticket for your itinerary and then tell you the price in points.

If you are hoping for a chance to buy an international ticket at less than 100 to 120 points per dollar of actual airfare, you can forget about that. Traditional frequent flier programs can occasionally deliver exceptionally high value per mile (e.g., travel to small, remote airports), but RR 2.0 will NEVER do so. Your point priced will closely follow the actual cash price for any international ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by nsx
They aren't going to give you a stated and fixed number of points per dollar. The travel agency will shop for a ticket for your itinerary and then tell you the price in points.

If you are hoping for a chance to buy an international ticket at less than 100 to 120 points per dollar of actual airfare, you can forget about that. Traditional frequent flier programs can occasionally deliver exceptionally high value per mile (e.g., travel to small, remote airports), but RR 2.0 will NEVER do so. Your point priced will closely follow the actual cash price for any international ticket.
I think the keyword here is "occasionally". At least in 2.0 I won't have to hunt down an award seat. Last summer I wanted an award seat and had to fly home 4pm on a Monday instead of returning Sunday night. The flight on Monday was priced at $119 and the Sunday flight was $139 (no standard award available). In 2.0, it will only cost me 8340 points instead of 7140, or 1200 points more than the Monday flight. That wasn't an option last year.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
If you are hoping for a chance to buy an international ticket at less than 100 to 120 points per dollar of actual airfare, you can forget about that.
100 to 120 points per dollar? With todays higher fares, surcharges, and govt taxes I can't see any intl ticket being less than 120 points. I would also add that WN intl awards have the disadvantage of always having travel agent fees included in the price.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx

Wait a minute. They don't have a fixed exchange rate for RR 2.0 points into $$$?

So if I can be reasonably sure there's a ticket on, say, AA, for $800 to Europe, I won't know how many RR 2.0 points I am shooting for ahead of time? They can quote some random amount?

Last edited by toomanybooks; Feb 2, 2011 at 4:07 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:05 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Wait a minute. They don't have a fixed exchange rate for RR 2.0 points into $$$?

So if I can be reasonably sure there's a ticket on, say, AA, for $800 to Europe, I won't know how many RR 2.0 points I am shooting for ahead of time? They can quote some random amount?
That's the way I interpret it, yes. My guess is that the 120 points per dollar will be in the ballpark unless the travel agent can come up with a lower non-published fare and give you a better points price. This flexibility to offer non-published fares is, I believe, one reason Southwest is avoiding a stated dollar value for the points.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I would also add that WN intl awards have the disadvantage of always having travel agent fees included in the price.
Yes, but we will get miles/segments, etc. on these award tickets on other airlines, I assume. WN's travel agent will be buying those tickets with $$$.

Until WN comes across with some details on this, which they certainly ought to do, my earning (especially what I had earmarked for the WN Visa) will go elsewhere.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
That's the way I interpret it, yes. My guess is that the 120 points per dollar will be in the ballpark unless the travel agent can come up with a lower non-published fare and give you a better points price. This flexibility to offer non-published fares is, I believe, one reason Southwest is avoiding a stated dollar value for the points.
OK, thanks. Screwy. Less than a month out we shouldn't have to be "interpreting" ambiguous terms.

So clearly we won't be able to do this online, yes? We will have to call some travel agent every time we want to price itineraries, check availability, etc.? I HATE talking on the phone.

What a waste of time this is going to turn out to be for WGA travelers. AA is looking better all the time.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Feb 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:14 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

OK, thanks. Screwy.

So clearly we won't be able to do this online, yes? We will have to call some travel agent every time we want to price itineraries, check availability, etc.? I HATE talking on the phone.

What a waste of time this is going to turn out to be. AA is looking better all the time.
It's pretty clear to me that international redemption will be a bad deal, just as are most (all?) redemption opportunities where the program has to pay out cash to buy you something. This aspect of RR 2.0 is superficially interesting but fundamentally lame.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Club, Southwest CP
For those in a similar position to me (details below), I contacted Customer Service and received a ruling. (Situation below)

*Credit Needed by: 12/XX/2011*
Existing Companion Pass Cardholder: Yes, DR. FSUNOLE
Existing Companion Pass Date of Birth: XX/XX/XXXX
Existing Companion Pass Begin Date: 12/XX/2010
*Existing Companion Pass Valid Through: 01/31/2012*

The representative confirmed (via a chat with the "Head of the Customer Service Training area", per her) that my companion pass will be extended through 12/31/2012. I would infer from this that the mythical "Expiration Date" that they're using is, indeed, the "Existing Companion Pass Valid Through" date. Hopefully this will still be the case come the day of reckoning. I am not using Marriott Points to requalify prior to 3/1/2011 as I had originally planned due to this new information, so I sincerely hope the lead/representative were correct.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:34 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by ftnoob
A passenger traveling on a ticket using points from another Member’s account will not be allowed to make changes to the itinerary. The passenger must contact the Member and have the Member make any necessary changes.
Presumably that applies for both phone, and online changes. Except for irrops, it may also apply to at-the-airport changes.
Today's pre-dawn Rapid Report confirms the above speculation as far as it applies to standby travel (emphasis added):
Q: Is standby travel allowed when a Member is traveling on a reward?
A: Yes, reward travel will follow Southwest's rules for the fare product purchased. If an increase in the fare is required to obtain a fare product (Business Select® or Anytime®) that allows standby travel, the Rapid Rewards (account holder) Member must be present to approve the use of additional points for the increased cost. Because this requires additional points, the Member must be the one to make the change, so he/she can authorize usage of additional points. (This is for protection of the Member’s Rapid Rewards account.) The Member may make the change at least one hour prior to the scheduled departure of the flight on southwest.com or by calling 1-800-I-FLY-SWA. When allowing others to fly on reward travel, Southwest Airlines® encourages the Member to communicate this policy to those flying to set expectations appropriately.
What has not been specifically addressed yet is what happens if the pax wants to make an outright change* rather than fly standby. Presumably that also requires more points and the same restrictions (made by account holder, one hour notice) would apply.

* because seats are available; this is of particular interest in cases where WGA bucket fares are still offered on the flight
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:03 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'll bet that before too long Southwest decides to allow passengers to use a credit card to pay the difference between Anytime and WGA fares when making same-day changes to an award ticket. Otherwise it's just too difficult to deal with the situation when the account does not have enough points.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Member must be present to approve the use of additional points for the increased cost. Because this requires additional points, the Member must be the one to make the change, so he/she can authorize usage of additional points. (This is for protection of the Member’s Rapid Rewards account.) The Member may make the change at least one hour prior to the scheduled departure of the flight on southwest.com or by calling 1-800-I-FLY-SWA."

Do they even read this stuff before sending it out?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Do they even read this stuff before sending it out?
I'm sure they did; but if someone other than the account holder makes any changes, they have a legal(?) case for deliberate misrepresentation, I'd think.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Yes, but we will get miles/segments, etc. on these award tickets on other airlines, I assume. WN's travel agent will be buying those tickets with $$$
I wouldn't assume that. If they were going to have to pay real dollars to a TA why would they care about the redeemer earning miles? It would make more sense to make sure that the TA books the lowest possible fare, which a lot of times earn nothing. Besides do they really want to help one of their customers earn status on a competing airline?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So why did Southwest send me an email "The All-New Rapid Rewards Program" on Thu, Jan 27, which said in part (and I copied and pasted, so this is exactly what it said):
If you already have a Standard Award or Freedom Award, hold on to it. You can still redeem it for your free flight. Award expiration dates, rules and regulations remain unchanged.
As I read it, it seems to say that expiration rules and regulations, which as I interpret it includes the "24 months", remain unchanged.

This needs serious clarification. If Southwest did not mean 24 months is still going to be the rule, they should not have sent out such a misleading email. But if they do mean that 24 months is still going to be rule, why isn't that spelled out more clearly somewhere by now, than in a three-sentence paragraph in a summary email?
You know, I've never seen the 24 month thing written in stone at Southwest. I'm still wondering if awards that are 18 months expired as of this moment will be unrecoverable come March 1st and one should revive them post haste?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.