Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:12 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Your image link seems to be invalid.

You previously asked:
Originally Posted by FSUNole
Does anyone know which is the official date used for "Expiration Date" in the Companion Pass requalification calculation?
I'm still not aware of any such thing as a requalification calculation expiration date. Your CP of course has an expiration date, but what confusion would there be about that date?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Club, Southwest CP
Updated the link. Sorry about that. I appreciate the help, but I'm confused now. You've stated that there is no such thing as an expiration date, followed by a statement that of course there is an expiration date. On my Companion Pass screen, I see:

*Credit Needed by: 12/XX/2011*
Existing Companion Pass Cardholder: Yes, DR. FSUNOLE
Existing Companion Pass Date of Birth: XX/XX/XXXX
Existing Companion Pass Begin Date: 12/XX/2010
*Existing Companion Pass Valid Through: 01/31/2012*

So, is my expiration date the "Credit Needed by" Date (December), which would mean that I am NOT extended through 2012?

Or, is my expiration date the "Existing Companion Pass Valid Through" Date (January), which per the link, would extend me through 2012?

Hopefully putting the date parameters helps this make more sense. My initial thought would be that it's the latter (CP Valid Through Date), but since there is technically no "Expiration Date", I don't know what they're using in their calculation. (Referenced again below)

Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:36 pm

Or, is my expiration date the "Existing Companion Pass Valid Through" Date (January), which per the link, would extend me through 2012?

Hopefully putting the date parameters helps this make more sense. My initial thought would be that it's the latter (CP Valid Through Date), but since there is technically no "Expiration Date", I don't know what they're using in their calculation. (Referenced again below)
I have the exact same situation. There isn't anything that I can do at this point beyond hope for the best but I read the announcement as implying a 2012 expiration.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
expiration date = " existing CP valid through date "

It has no direct correlation with the 100th credit must be earned by date
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:26 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

You've stated that there is no such thing as an expiration date, followed by a statement that of course there is an expiration date.
No, I said there is no such thing as a requalification calculation expiration date, but of course there is a companion pass expiration date. If I said there is no such thing as black M&Ms but of course there are red M&Ms, by analogy you would say I just said there is no such thing as M&Ms, but of course there is such a thing as M&Ms.

SWA is renowned for using confusing language, but this is not an example thereof.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Club, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Your CP of course has an expiration date, but what confusion would there be about that date?
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Under the old program and the revised transition rules, CP qualification is a rolling window, so there is no such thing as an "Expiration Date."
Regardless, I'll call Customer Service to find a resolution or, at minimum, receive a message from them that they don't know how it will work. Will update this thread with what I find out. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's in this situation. Thanks, all.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by nsx
No announcements yet. CSRs either don't know or give misinformation (e.g., mistaking Southwest for Northwest). I expect an announcement of some sort before mid-February.
So are all the hotel conversion rates in limbo? I'm most interested in Marriott conversion, but maybe they will all be rolled out together?

Wonder how the decisionmaking prcoess works? Does WN set the conversion rate or the hotel program? Or maybe it is some sort of negotiation process that must be completed with each partner individually?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
There has not been much discussion about the new A-List priority standby benefit. As I sit here watching the blizzard a couple questions come to mind:
  • Is the benefit valid for IRROPS standby, or only on anytime and BS fares?
  • Do the benefits extend to the person traveling on CP with an A-Lister? How about others on the same PNR?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sigma1104
There has not been much discussion about the new A-List priority standby benefit. As I sit here watching the blizzard a couple questions come to mind:
  • Is the benefit valid for IRROPS standby, or only on anytime and BS fares?
  • Do the benefits extend to the person traveling on CP with an A-Lister? How about others on the same PNR?
1. I'm confident that's a yes.
2. I expect this to be officially no but unofficially usually yes. Especially the CP, which requires the companion to board the same flight. Where denying priority to travel companions negates the A-list benefit, the gate agent is likely to give you a break IMHO.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Now if WN would figure out that they should allow A-Preferred who are rebooked due to IRROPS to board with the families after A-60, this would be a big time plus benefit.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
...allow A-Preferred who are rebooked due to IRROPS to board with the families after A-60...
Why wait till then?

Much easier to go: pre-board-BS-AList-A-family-B-C than pre-board-BS-AList-A-family-displayed AList-B-C, no?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:25 pm

Examples needing explanation

Originally Posted by pshuang
This may merit a more comprehensive answer.

* An RR 1.0 award (either Standard or Freedom) issued before 03-01-2011 is eligible to be reissued exactly once after 03-01-2011. Furthermore, while in the past Southwest has allowed you to reissue an expired award up to 24 months after its expiration date, that will no longer be the case. After 03-01-2011, you can only reissue a RR 1.0 award that had been issued before 03-01-2011 within 12 months after its expiration date. And that will be your final re-issuance of that award. For example, the last possible award issued before 03-01-2011 would have an expiration date of 02-28-2012. The latest you could have that expired award reissued would be 02-28-2013. Thus the latest you could travel on that award would be 02-28-2014.

(SWABrian, can you specifically confirm that reissued awards [if re-issued before 03-01-2011] will be treated exactly the same in regards to another re-issuance as if it had been a newly issued award with the same expiration date? It seems likely to me that is how it would work, since reissued awards get a new award number.)

* You can qualify to have a new RR 1.0 Standard award issued to you after 03-01-2011 if and only if you had at least 0.25 RR 1.0 credit as of 03-01-2011. You will have up until 02-28-2012 to make a one-time decision to convert RR 2.0 points to RR 1.0 credits (at a rate of 1200 RR 2.0 points to 1 RR 1.0 credit) to top off your non-zero 03-01-2011 RR 1.0 credit balance to reach 16 credits and thus get a Standard award issued. That award does not qualify to be reissued. So the last possible flight on such a newly issued award would be on 02-28-2013.

Here's a more succinct (but possibly harder to understand) summary: Starting on and including 03-01-2011, any given RR 1.0 award can only be newly issued (i.e., being born out of RR 1.0 credits) or re-issued (i.e., reincarnated from an expired award) exactly once.
Okay,
1. This seems to mean that any RR 1.0 awards expiring in March or later have only a one time 12 month window for restoration.
2. If, after a previous restoration, a RR 1.0 award expires, it can be restored within the 12 month window only? Will 24 month windows have no grandfathering? That is, if an award expired in Jan of 2010 and as of March 1 it had been expired for 14 months, will it just immediately disappear forever on March 1? Or, if an award expired in Feb of 2011, will it lose its restorability in Feb 2012 or Feb 2013?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pshuang
* An RR 1.0 award (either Standard or Freedom) issued before 03-01-2011 is eligible to be reissued exactly once after 03-01-2011. Furthermore, while in the past Southwest has allowed you to reissue an expired award up to 24 months after its expiration date, that will no longer be the case. After 03-01-2011, you can only reissue a RR 1.0 award that had been issued before 03-01-2011 within 12 months after its expiration date.
So why did Southwest send me an email "The All-New Rapid Rewards Program" on Thu, Jan 27, which said in part (and I copied and pasted, so this is exactly what it said):
If you already have a Standard Award or Freedom Award, hold on to it. You can still redeem it for your free flight. Award expiration dates, rules and regulations remain unchanged.
As I read it, it seems to say that expiration rules and regulations, which as I interpret it includes the "24 months", remain unchanged.

This needs serious clarification. If Southwest did not mean 24 months is still going to be the rule, they should not have sent out such a misleading email. But if they do mean that 24 months is still going to be rule, why isn't that spelled out more clearly somewhere by now, than in a three-sentence paragraph in a summary email?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
An update on my post below.

Southwest systems are still granting companion pass even if some credits needed to maintain the online counter above 100 have rolled off in the last month before expiration.

Some clarifications for the posts earlier today on companion pass.

Here are the fields shown once you have qualified and designated your companion:

"Current Balance Towards Companion Pass:"
"Credits Needed for Companion Pass:"
"Credit Needed by:"
"Existing Companion Pass Card Holder:"
"Existing Companion Pass Date of Birth:"
"Existing Companion Pass Begin Date: 1/14/2010"
"Existing Companion Pass Valid Through: 2/28/2011"

Your companion pass expires on the date in the last line above.

Your counter is reset on the day they send you an email of qualification.

The expiration date is normally 54 to 58 weeks after the date you qualified.

What's the impact of the expiration date being more than 52 weeks from your qualification? Your online status can incorrectly show that you are not requalifying in the last month before expiration - even when you met the 100 RR criteria the month before. This occurs if you were using some of the RR's posted in you first few weeks of status to put you over.

Look at the wiki - it explains it well.

This has always worked and and still does. The system is also still using the old method when issueing new companion passes today - they have not made the system change over yet.

I fully expect the dates to be updated to the end of the year the old method did or would have put you in. IMHO - there is absolutely no need to call Southwest and ask if they will. They have said they will but their systems just aren't in place yet to do it.

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
I'll have a good example on how well they implement this in the next month.

My expiration date is 02/28/2011 and I met the 100 point counter mid last year with most of the points coming from a points transfer in Jan'10.

However, that has now rolled off as >12 months ago and I'm now way down to ~20 RRs in the last 12 months.

Many experienced CP'ers know this is just an oddity in the online tracking and how WN syncs up the point counter reset data and new Companion Status timing. If you qualified anytime during your period you will requaliify even if your past 12 months isn't still at 100 on the date yours expires (due to the first month of your counter RRs dropping off).

So under the old system I'd requalify and receive a card about 30 days prior to my status expiring. This would be the end of Jan in my case.

I'm waiting to see if this still happens with the systems transitioning....

You can be sure if I don't get one in the mail by Feb 1st I'll be calling Southwest quickly....
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Has anything substantive been released re: international Awards or tickets on other carriers with RR 2.0? If so, I certainly missed it. All I remember is a rumor that some journalist got the impression at the announcement it would be 120 RR 2.0 points per dollar.

We really need this info soon so as to plan properly what we should do before 3/1/11 with transfers, credit runs, WN credit card spend (I have 10 days before my last RR 1.0 statement drops), etc.

WN, please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.