Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Old Jan 13, 11, 12:50 am
  #751  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by ftnoob View Post
I'm surprised nobody has used "ALPs" yet!
I hereby try to establish the terminology A+ and A- as abbreviations for A-List-Preferred and A-List.

(Makes me think of United's Economy Plus, which is a term that they market, and how it has inspired the corresponding term Economy Minus to refer to the "normal" non-Plus seating....)

Last edited by pshuang; Jan 13, 11 at 12:53 am Reason: Oops, reversed A-List-Preferred and A-List.
pshuang is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 7:40 am
  #752  
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Posts: 1,201
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
I've been trying to stay on top of this thread - I haven't seen this answered.....the last few posts have me wondering whether there has been any word on WN's progress toward announcing "grandfathered" A-list & A+-list status prior to 3/1?

Is SWABrian back from the big football weekend?
I'm back, and I wasn't given a firm answer as to date, but it sounds like a large undertaking, so my guess is that it will be closer to March 1. I will keep checking.
SWABrian is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 8:35 am
  #753  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,588
My current credits are slated to expire in May of 2012.
Just your oldest credits. If some were earned after May '10 they'll be valid until two years later.
rove312 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 2:12 pm
  #754  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,105
Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
This year, I am planning on 3 trips where I would consider WN. The first is listed above, bringing me to 11 credits, but the other two will be severely devalued. With flights, car and hotel, Iím looking at an average of 1,540 points per trip on WGA fares. Thatís a total of 3,080 points, or 2.5 1.0 credits, bringing my credit total to 13.5 for 2011. My current credits are slated to expire in May of 2012.

Am I correct in understanding that I will need to earn enough points that I can transfer into credits before this May 2012 expiration date? I donít think that Iíll be able to hit this before that date because I just donít to fly WN that often. Most of my travel is to NYC and AA flies direct, is cheaper, and seems like it will be more beneficial.
I'm a bit confused. You seem to be only factoring in car and hotel on the WN flights. Even though you're flying AA to JFK, you can still credit any hotel (and car, if you happen to rent a car at JFK) to WN. Depending on how many trips to JFK you have, couldn't that be enough?

(Hotels and cars earnings into RR 2.0 may or may not be devalued later. So I would recommend you especially consider crediting the soonest car rentals and hotel stays you have to WN, no matter who gets you to those cities.)
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 3:23 pm
  #755  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York, NY
Programs: The Golden status boy
Posts: 854
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I'm a bit confused. You seem to be only factoring in car and hotel on the WN flights. Even though you're flying AA to JFK, you can still credit any hotel (and car, if you happen to rent a car at JFK) to WN. Depending on how many trips to JFK you have, couldn't that be enough?

(Hotels and cars earnings into RR 2.0 may or may not be devalued later. So I would recommend you especially consider crediting the soonest car rentals and hotel stays you have to WN, no matter who gets you to those cities.)
The problem is that I have a corporate apartment in Astoria and never rent a car in NYC. My sole earning for these are trips that I take with WN.

Since my '09 credits will expire next year, and I won't hit the 16 benchmark equivelent before they do, it sounds like it would behoove me to switch everything over to AA. That's a shame. If I could convert my existing credits to points and get a 1-way out of it, I wouldn't feel so bad.
spankytoes is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 5:26 pm
  #756  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 52
CP Question-Help!

I have talked to 7 different customer relations people at SW, all who have given me different answers and i'm so frustrated! Hopefully someone can answer my question correctly. How is Southwest tracking CP qualification in 2011 for flights? I know they are going to a point system starting March 1st, but in the e-mail they sent around on Jan. 7th, it made it sound like through 12/31/2011, they are going to allow the "one credit per one way flight" thing let you qualify still? Im sooooo confused, someone please help! I'm talking about the sentence below from the e-mail they sent around...what does this mean for after the launch of RR 2.0? They are going to be tracking credits on the side for each one way flight in addition to the points? SOOOO confusing.

Credits for flights flown prior to the launch of the All-New Rapid Rewards on March 1, 2011, will be calculated just as they are in today’s program. Credit from each one-way flight flown after the launch of the All-New Rapid Rewards also will be tracked for Companion Pass qualification.
AZChick is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 5:33 pm
  #757  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Posts: 19,991
Originally Posted by AZChick View Post
I have talked to 7 different customer relations people at SW, all who have given me different answers and i'm so frustrated! Hopefully someone can answer my question correctly. How is Southwest tracking CP qualification in 2011 for flights? I know they are going to a point system starting March 1st, but in the e-mail they sent around on Jan. 7th, it made it sound like through 12/31/2011, they are going to allow the "one credit per one way flight" thing let you qualify still? Im sooooo confused, someone please help! I'm talking about the sentence below from the e-mail they sent around...what does this mean for after the launch of RR 2.0? They are going to be tracking credits on the side for each one way flight in addition to the points? SOOOO confusing.

Credits for flights flown prior to the launch of the All-New Rapid Rewards on March 1, 2011, will be calculated just as they are in todayís program. Credit from each one-way flight flown after the launch of the All-New Rapid Rewards also will be tracked for Companion Pass qualification.
Post number 1 of this thread has the updated correct answer.
nsx is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 5:38 pm
  #758  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Post number 1 of this thread has the updated correct answer.
I can't find the correct answer to my question in post number 1, please copy and paste it.
AZChick is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 5:39 pm
  #759  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 52
Is Southwest tracking (allowing) 1 credit per one way flight for companion pass qualification for the rest of 2011?
AZChick is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 5:43 pm
  #760  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Posts: 19,991
Originally Posted by AZChick View Post
Is Southwest tracking (allowing) 1 credit per one way flight for companion pass qualification for the rest of 2011?
I believe that they have committed to doing this as long as you were already on track, and that would be until February 28, 2012. If they lose track, just count the flights yourself and write a letter requesting the CP based on count. It should work, IMHO.
nsx is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 5:47 pm
  #761  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I believe that they have committed to doing this as long as you were already on track, and that would be until February 28, 2012. If they lose track, just count the flights yourself and write a letter requesting the CP based on count. It should work, IMHO.
So right now, I have 10 CP credits, needing 90 more by 12/10/11. If I fly 32 one way flights before 12/10/11, that should bring my amount needed down from 90 to 58, correct? They are still tracking it this way, not with the new point system? I will get the other 58 credits from SW Visa spending...$1200 * 58 = $69,600 I need to spend before 12/10/11. Am I correct in the way I am thinking they are doing this??
AZChick is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 6:39 pm
  #762  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 442
Originally Posted by AZChick View Post
So right now, I have 10 CP credits, needing 90 more by 12/10/11. If I fly 32 one way flights before 12/10/11, that should bring my amount needed down from 90 to 58, correct? They are still tracking it this way, not with the new point system? I will get the other 58 credits from SW Visa spending...$1200 * 58 = $69,600 I need to spend before 12/10/11. Am I correct in the way I am thinking they are doing this??
Yes, all seems to be correct.

NOTE: CC Spend credits/points must post to RR account before 12/10/11 and not just spend before that date.

Last edited by benmaller; Jan 13, 11 at 6:40 pm Reason: clarify CC spend
benmaller is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 9:13 pm
  #763  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Socal
Posts: 750
I've been confused by this too...so when will AZChick's CP be good until, provided that she earns the 100th credit on 12/10/11? Will it be valid until 12/10/13? 12/31/13?

Last edited by subdawg; Jan 13, 11 at 9:14 pm Reason: edit
subdawg is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 10:02 pm
  #764  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 394
So I was thinking... many of the "loopholes" for "gaming" have been closed or have changed in the new program... but there are ways to fully maximize the program.

A) Visa card... since points are worth up to 1.66 cents per point on WGA redemptions, its like getting a 1.66% rebate on all your purchases. And with the double points with Southwest purchases, and its hotel and car partners, its like a 3.33% rebate on all those purchases...

B) If you are A+ and buy B.S. fares, you get 24 points per $ plus another 2 if you pay with the SWA Visa. That's 26 points per $. At 1.66c each, that's like a 43% "rebate" on the fare.

C) If you have a Companion Pass, and you redeem for a WGA fare, you get a return of 3.33 cents per point value. That's fairly comparable with the best redemption values on the legacies if you try to redeem for business class overseas.

D) Combine A & B & C (B.S. fare, A+, Visa and CP, redeem for WGA), you'll get an 86% "rebate" on your fares. That's pretty sweet.

E) Thinking about the 250,000 miles I have on legacy airlines, I think I'd rather have RR2.0 points which would get me $4150 worth of ANY WGA flights, not just the ones the airline "wants" me to redeem for. I can't find reasonable awards on the legacies when I want to travel. Usually I find a $300 flight and they won't give it away for 25,000 miles...that frustrates me.
ScroogeMcFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 11, 10:32 pm
  #765  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Posts: 539
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer View Post
So I was thinking... many of the "loopholes" for "gaming" have been closed or have changed in the new program... but there are ways to fully maximize the program.

A) Visa card... since points are worth up to 1.66 cents per point on WGA redemptions, its like getting a 1.66% rebate on all your purchases. And with the double points with Southwest purchases, and its hotel and car partners, its like a 3.33% rebate on all those purchases...

B) If you are A+ and buy B.S. fares, you get 24 points per $ plus another 2 if you pay with the SWA Visa. That's 26 points per $. At 1.66c each, that's like a 43% "rebate" on the fare.

C) If you have a Companion Pass, and you redeem for a WGA fare, you get a return of 3.33 cents per point value. That's fairly comparable with the best redemption values on the legacies if you try to redeem for business class overseas.

D) Combine A & B & C (B.S. fare, A+, Visa and CP, redeem for WGA), you'll get an 86% "rebate" on your fares. That's pretty sweet.

E) Thinking about the 250,000 miles I have on legacy airlines, I think I'd rather have RR2.0 points which would get me $4150 worth of ANY WGA flights, not just the ones the airline "wants" me to redeem for. I can't find reasonable awards on the legacies when I want to travel. Usually I find a $300 flight and they won't give it away for 25,000 miles...that frustrates me.
C) 3.3 cents per mile is not the BEST redemption value for international business, rather one of the WORSE redemption value.

E) 250,000 miles would yield a standard award for US - East Asia business class on United, granting a last seat availability. Meaning that it actually is worth easily up to $8,000 for unrestricted J ticket, or at least $4000 for discounted business class ticket. or 5 standard award for any domestic unrestricted economy - $800 each (conservatively) comes out about $4000.
saaws is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: