FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1168741-rapid-rewards-2-0-begins-march-1-2011-a.html)

toomanybooks Jan 6, 2011 4:09 am

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 15594443)
My gut feeling is that preferred visa will be available to apply for starting 3/1. I'm curious what chase will use for the deciding factor on card conversion types (old signature cards=new prefered maybe?).

The TQM awarded are 1500 per 10k in spending, so sans any base flight points, it would take $466,000 in spending to "buy" A+ list, or $233,000 to buy A-list.

Yes, that's a lot of money. Much more cost effective to make WN mileage runs, and put all that extra spend on the Starwood card, I'd think, for flexibility.

If you get to A-List between now and March 1, you'll have it through 12/31/12. And I wouldn't be surprised if existing A-Listers get some kind of fast-track offer to preferred, or get a "leg-up" somehow. Might be time to make some credit runs.

expert7700 Jan 6, 2011 4:19 am

A good play seems to be to earn A list or A+ early in a year, so you have it for all of that and the following year. earning A+ before you ever fly a RR 2.0 flight would be a big help to earn double points back.

It'd be a very interesting statistic to hear how many A+ list cards were printed and mailed on 3/1/11. From what I understand it would mean they flew 50 one ways from 1/1/11-2/28/11, as it seems everyone's slate for a+ starts at 0 even if they are an existing grandfathered a-lister. earning 25 or 50 segments from 1/1/11 through 2/28/11 is a serious segment run not for the weak of heart though. Yes, I checked for $19 Las-lax fares which are gone. If they were there I think I'd have a couple days of round trips ahead of me..

I have a coworker who even shows up as you would have earned 'a list+ based on 2010 fight data' on the simulator, if everyone starts a zero he's out of luck too.

toomanybooks Jan 6, 2011 4:27 am

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 15594537)
A good play seems to be to earn A list or A+ early in a year, so you have it for all of that and the following year. earning A+ before you ever fly a RR 2.0 flight would be a big help to earn double points back.

Yes, I checked for $19 Las-lax fares which are gone. If they were there I think I'd have a couple days of round trips ahead of me..

If you find any great cheap segment run possibilities, please post (or PM).

mritty Jan 6, 2011 4:56 am

So now that we're not auto-issued an award, does that mean no more free drink coupons? And if so, what the heck was the point of eliminating the beige coupons in favor of the new multi-colored ones for such a short period of time?

ScroogeMcFlyer Jan 6, 2011 5:11 am

Originally Posted by pshuang (Post 15594112)
Should the range of effective rebates (without elite bonuses) be from 5% to 20%? The summary currently says the low end of that range is 6%.

My math:

High end: $1,000 in spend on BusinessSelect fares (multiplier=12) yields 12,000 points. If redeemed on WGA fares (divisor=60), 12,000 points can purchase $200 in WGA fares. => 20% effective rebate.

Low end: $1,000 in spend on WGA fares (multiplier=6) yields 6,000 points. If redeemed on BusinessSelect fares (divisor=120), 6,000 points can purchase $50 in BusinessSelect fares. => 5% effective rebate.

Or put another way, the spread between best earning rate and worst earning rate (sans elite bonuses) is 2x. The spread between best redemption rate and worse redemption rate is also 2x. Therefore there should be a 4x difference total between best effective rebate rate and worst effective rebate rate.

Overall, I can see RR 2.0 as being beneficial for me. Over the last couple of years, as I've looked at ramping up my earnings in RR 1.0 by taking advantage of all opportunities and promotions, I'm finding I'm earning RR awards faster than I am redeeming them, and thus the expiration on awards (and the $50 extension option) is a little painful. I will very much like the ability to keep all points alive with any account activity.

Keep in mind that you save some of the taxes (like PFCs) when you book an award, so you'll earn a slightly higher rebate than you calculated. You still have to pay the 9/11 fee.

alggag Jan 6, 2011 5:16 am

I'm thinking that at first glance I'm okay with this. It was nice to get an easy point on HOU-AUS on a $39 WGA but on the other end it irked me to only get one point on more expensive fares.

Minuses: Not as much flexibility in last minute redemption.
Pluses: Short haul redemption isn't a total waste of an award.

I might be able to make A- with the lower threshold as I always seemed to be just short of classic A. It's too early in the morning for me to figure out the numbers on that.

Wonder what our comrades over at FL who had already sworn off/were considering swearing off WN based on RR 1.0's shortcomings have to say about this.

wuds Jan 6, 2011 5:30 am

Originally Posted by KelseyR (Post 15594033)
SW Vacations can earn credit, I just honestly don't remember what it is at the moment (my notes are at work), but it is a flat rate no matter the vacation price. Also can't remember Teleflora, but I would venture a guess that it's 600 points as well?

SW Vacations earn a flat 1500 points per round trip.

My notes say for Teleflora, 600 points for purchases of $34.95-$99.99, or 1200 points for purchases of $100 or more.

dmdflyer Jan 6, 2011 5:38 am

How much will the new points cost?

NeilGoBlue Jan 6, 2011 6:02 am

TQP?

I'm trying to wrap my arms around this new program... Can someone explain "Tier Qualifying Points" and how to get them?

I fully understand that plusses and minuses of BS vs WGA and how the new program changes the dynamic..

Anybody care to opine how this affects people who primarily use the WN Visa but don't spend a lot of money on flights? I use my Southwest CC substantially (over 200K in spending a year) and rack up a companion pass and lots of award tickets.

Seems like my Companion Pass essentially is the same for me, and my award tickets will a function of price. What about the new status tiers? Can I earn those with large WN Visa purchases?

lougord99 Jan 6, 2011 6:04 am

Originally Posted by alggag (Post 15594701)
Wonder what our comrades over at FL who had already sworn off/were considering swearing off WN based on RR 1.0's shortcomings have to say about this.

This won't change anything. They want business class and assigned seats.

ryans18 Jan 6, 2011 6:09 am

Man I'm kind of bummed about this. I fly once a week PHX-LAX. I plan my flights in advance and am able to take advantage of mostly WGA fares (sometimes as low as $39 each way). I use my reward travel to book PHX-BOS trips to see family. I certainly see how this is unsustainable for WN, but I'm still bummed.

I was at 99.5 CP credits as of this morning, so for a moment I was concerned that I would lose those!

stallion114 Jan 6, 2011 6:14 am

Hmmm,
I have 55ish RR towards CP by April. 50 of them were earned since June.
Does this mean I have until 3/1/11 to hit 100, but if I do I keep it until 12/31/12?
Also does this mean if I dont hit iby March I lose all of it and start at 0?

I would literally have to hotel hop every night until March to do it.
But now I kind of want to just to prove I can.

freebee Jan 6, 2011 6:19 am

Sneaky change on expired awards

Woe to those travelers with expired awards who are not paying very close attention, as it seems you will now have just one year after expiration to have an award reissued for $50; currently it is two years. As someone who has two expired awards (from August and November, 2010), I am very sensitive to this issue and would hate to see anyone lose out entirely,

ondeadlin Jan 6, 2011 6:26 am

I'm currently capable of requalifying for the CP by redeeming a Marriott travel package, which will easily put me over the top.

Am I correct in these two assumptions: (1) If I redeem that package and roll the 80 credits in my RR account before March 1, I will requalify for the CP; and (2) My requalification will last until the end of 2012?

Thanks for the help!

Jim

toomanybooks Jan 6, 2011 6:27 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 15594557)
If you find any great cheap segment run possibilities, please post (or PM).

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://travel.southwest.com/specialo...ml?id=57686822

$29 LAX-LAS and v.v is the best. A couple city pairs $62/63. Otherwise $64 appears the lowest.