Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is Southwest's policy for prices that drop after a ticket is purchased?

Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; UA; Delta; SW; Hilton

Hi there - Has anyone had the experience of their Southwest ticket price dropping a few weeks after they have purchased it? How does Southwest normally handle this? Do they offer refunds or credits?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by coffeefrappe
Hi there - Has anyone had the experience of their Southwest ticket price dropping a few weeks after they have purchased it? How does Southwest normally handle this? Do they offer refunds or credits?
It depends on the type of ticket purchased.

if you have a fully refundable ticket you will get a refund.
http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...STOMER-REFUNDS

If you have a non-refundable ticket and the price drops you can get a voucher or TTF for the difference in price. You can apply this to future travel for yourself within 12 months.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by coffeefrappe
Sure, this happens frequently. Go back and rebook it. Start at the "Change Flight" link on the main SWA page. They'll lead you from there...when you get to the point where you change your flight, you can still pick the same flight at the lower price (or change to another one if you want).

They don't offer refunds, but instead give you a credit that is tied to your confirmation number. This credit can be used on another Southwest flight, up to a year after your original booking date (not the date you made the change).
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; UA; Delta; SW; Hilton
thank you!

Hi there - thanks for your advice. Much appreciated!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
In our first 6 months of flying on WN (when we were paying real $ for all of it), I recovered $1K in credits by checking & refaring almost daily.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:10 pm
VIB

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
In our first 6 months of flying on WN (when we were paying real $ for all of it), I recovered $1K in credits by checking & refaring almost daily.
Are you trying to put them out of business?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by VIB
I look out for #1. I luv the refares, and really LUV the bump vouchers.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:00 am

You receive a credit that can be used for up to one year. Up until January 28th (or maybe February 28th), you can apply anyone's flight credit to your purchase. After one of those dates, your flight credit can only be used for you.

One thing I found out the hard way is that when you cancel your ticket your forfeit the EBCI if you purchased it. You don not get that $10 back as a credit.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VIB
On the contrary, they get ALL our business. Unlike UA, CO, US, etc., which hosed us once too often each.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
On the contrary, they get ALL our business. Unlike UA, CO, US, etc., which hosed us once too often each.
It is one of the greatest features of Southwest. Just saved $6 this morning. Not a huge amount, but its the principal of the thing. Other times, I have saved a couple hundred dollars.

It also keeps you coming back to their web site, which gives them a chance to put another impression in front of you and tell you about another sale they have going on. So, in that way, I think its a win-win.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by FCfree
It is one of the greatest features of Southwest. Just saved $6 this morning. Not a huge amount, but its the principal of the thing. Other times, I have saved a couple hundred dollars.

It also keeps you coming back to their web site, which gives them a chance to put another impression in front of you and tell you about another sale they have going on. So, in that way, I think its a win-win.
In the past getting traffic to the WN website would be a win, but not with the current version.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:34 pm

Thanks for posting the instructions about how to change a Southwest reservation to get a lower fare. I did it and it was about as easy as falling off a log! It was only for $10, but like a previous poster said it is the principle of the matter.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:48 pm
gnd

can this be done multiple times for thesame flight, or is it a one time deal?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by gnd
can this be done multiple times for thesame flight, or is it a one time deal?
can be done multiple times.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:24 pm
gnd

Thanks! Just saved $46.50, or at least have that amount in credit for another SW flight!!! Now I hope it goes down again next week for the supposed anniversary sale

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.