Wiki Posts
Search

SWA to buy AIRTRAN

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tolkiennut
Biggest losers in this from a fare perspective could be folks at BWI...
And the biggest winners may be DL-captives at ATL, like my brother, who is ecstatic at this news.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingTigers
Best part of this is San Juan and Cancun in my opinion. Finally!
And Jamaica, mon!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
And the biggest winners may be DL-captives at ATL, like my brother, who is ecstatic at this news.
You know, I would not be surprised to see a now stronger Delta build up again at BWI, MCO, and continue strong ops at LAS and LAX.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:32 am

is there a reason, perhaps in Southwest's business model, that explains why AirTran is listed on the lowfaresfarther pdf as having more customer service agents than Southwest, when Southwest has 3-4 times more employees in most of the other listed categories?

That jumped out to me as very odd.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
ATL-based flyers may have a double-blessing here, because DL/NW have been very aggressive in fighting LCC competitors in the past. So, there may be some great price wars in the short to medium term.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bluedevils
is there a reason, perhaps in Southwest's business model, that explains why AirTran is listed on the lowfaresfarther pdf as having more customer service agents than Southwest, when Southwest has 3-4 times more employees in most of the other listed categories?

That jumped out to me as very odd.
AirTran outsources their ground staff in many cities, WN doesn't.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:50 am

Then again, when A+ members see no business class and no assigned seats, they might well head for DL. I think it will be close to a wash domestically, with DL still having a huge lead in international routes.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: Lifetime Silver Marriott Bonvoy
And UTM, here I come! (anybody know what that is without looking it up?)
No, I had to look that one up! The question it raises is "why" . But, if that's "your" spot, that's GREAT news!

-C
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by alggag
<Snip>
ATL will be dehubbed for the simple reason that WN doesn't have to route everybody through it (XXX-ATL-YYY) the way FL did. It will certainly remain a major city in the new WN of course.
<Snip>
alggag makes a huge point here - WN will have immense opportunities to "reshuffle" flights currently flown by FL into ATL.

RE business class: I'm a bit disappointed. I would hope that Gary's team would have at least considered examining how the availability of business class would positively affect both 1) passengers on business who are used to getting a more comfortable seat and 2) how credits can be burned on upgrades (reducing WN's liability for outstanding credits). Not having any inside info, it appears that those sorts of considerations were not examined.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jco613
MKE might also get the axe with MDW right down the road.
Its unlikely that MKE will get dropped due to MDW. Remember that the north suburbs would have to drive through Chicago to get to MDW (not fun at all and can take well at or over 2 hours with traffic. Having MKE on the north side to handle traffic from the north 'burbs, and MDW would be quite a powerful combination. I fly quite regularly thru MKE and in the saver lot I see just as many IL plates as I do WI plates. I can see fares rising in MKE though, going from 3 LCCs (WN, FL, F9) to 2. (WN, F9). DL doesn't seem to be doing much with MKE these days though, shame really.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
WN just added EWR and now ATL in the span of a couple months. So the only "fortress" remaining nationwide is....CVG?

At least northern suburb folks in the CVG area now have a mini WN effect to look forward to in DAY.
This is actually a really interesting point. Delta has cut service to CVG by something like 66% over the past 5 years and now both the A Concourse and C Concourse are boarded up. Yet the airport was just completely remodeled (completed in 2009 - obviously planned/begun when CVG was still a major part of DL) and a new runway opened a few years ago.

It would be a perfect opportunity for WN to open up a new hub if needed. Although MDW isn't far from CVG, I have to think there's not much room left to expand in Chicago...
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by stdatwmu
This is actually a really interesting point. Delta has cut service to CVG by something like 66% over the past 5 years and now both the A Concourse and C Concourse are boarded up.
And I'd bet that CVG would cut WN a very, very sweet deal to move into town
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
RE business class: I'm a bit disappointed....
1) passengers on business who are used to getting a more comfortable seat...
And give Biz Select customers something more tangible.

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
2) how credits can be burned on upgrades (reducing WN's liability for outstanding credits).
Maybe because we won't have as many credits to burn under RR 2.0

But even under the current credit earning level, I won't use them for upgrades as CP and reward tickets are more valuable.

I was hoping business class will be preserved for Biz Select passengers and for A-Listers (give them any available upgrades at T-36 based on segments flown*).

*Would've been nice to discuss how much tougher it is to score an upgrade on a Friday night SFO-SNA flight than a mid-day Saturday OAK-ONT.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, MP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Absolutely fantastic news....a great move by WN IMO!!! ^ I can't wait to see the impact on my options from Denver to the Caribbean!!!!!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Random tangent...

I was seriously considering buying LUV stock a few weeks ago but decided against it as I would have done it on margin.

LUV is +25% in that time period.

Dang it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.