Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA to buy AIRTRAN

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
Originally Posted by jlemon

I believe that AirTran's biz class will be missed.
You are correct, it seems like to me this is one of the biggest gripes of Airtran passengers going forward that they are going away. That and no assigned seating of course.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:23 am

I was not able to locate this information in the 28 pages so I beg forgiveness if this has already been mentioned. Does anyone have any idea when awards from SWA could be used for an Airtran flight?
Old May 11, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Seems unlikely that will ever happen.

You will be able to use WN on Airtran flights when those flights become WN flights. WN has said it will happen slowly over 2 years.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:02 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Southwest: Layoffs are not part of merger

DMN Airline Biz Blog post:Of course I would expect a good number of AirTran HQ employees would choose not to relocate to Dallas, and I doubt they would all be replaced by new hires, so there will be some workforce reduction cost savings.

Article excerpt:
Kelly then estimated $400 million in net revenue synergies when AirTran is fully integrated with Southwest. The two airlines will operate separately until next year.
Proposed new entry for the Glossary:
Code:
NRS*: higher average airfares thanks to WN no longer having to discount fares to compete with FL
*NRS: Net Revenue Synergies
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Originally Posted by lougord99
Seems unlikely that will ever happen.

You will be able to use WN (awards) on Airtran flights when those flights become WN flights. WN has said it will happen slowly over 2 years.
Not sure why you would say that awards would never be able to be used on the other subsidiary? We have many examples on this board of how two airlines have taken each other's awards; what would stop a parent company from having have its awards used on its subsidiary?

AirTran was able to be in a joint FF arrangement with Frontier for three years or so, reconciling both the fact that Frontier used miles vs. segments and the fact that Frontier had no first class.

Then, in their merger Frontier and Midwest pulled this off MUCH faster from an FF, ticketing and customer service policy. For them, the HR and technical issues came later, not first.

But I guess the reason this can't/won't work is because this merged airline has to go through these steps with careful thought. The employees all now share the same neck lanyard to clip on their ID cards. Next the crack merger team can go for something really big, like deciding how to get the free drink coupons recognized on both carriers.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Never said can't. I said won't. Obviously just my opinion.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Justin026
Next the crack merger team can go for something really big, like deciding how to get the free drink coupons recognized on both carriers.
Not until they figure out how to get Southwest drink coupons to be accepted on Southwest. My last 3 attempts to get a Monster with a valid specialty coupon were denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.