Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA to buy AIRTRAN

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by Cholula
For those hungry for even more paralysis of analysis on this merger, this article is pretty comprehensive.
I disagree with some of the points in this article.

1) I personally love open seating and I think a lot other people do as well. To say almost no one likes it is incorrect.

2) The article suggests that getting rid of all the fees will cost SWA $210 million. Just like the rest of the fee charging airlines, the author fails to consider the additional ticket revenue that is generated by not having fees. Right now, there are some people that weigh Air Tran vs. Delta. With all the fees, they figure that the two airlines are pretty much the same, so might as well fly Delta because you can earn miles that can be used to Europe. But, without all the fees, SWA is going to be significantly cheaper than Delta, so at least some people will give SWA a try.

This seems so obvious to me, yet no one in the airline industry seems to get this, except the folks at SWA!

3) Loss of business and frequent travelers. It may be true that a few people that are always getting upgraded on Air Tran will jump ship and go over to Delta. But, for those that are only getting upgraded once in a while, I'd suggest that most of them are going to stay with SWA. The number of people lost is not as great as the author implies.

4) Its a win for Delta? Sure, they are going to pick up some pax that are willing to pay to fly first class. But they are going to lose a lot of people who fly coach and don't care which airline they fly on, as long as it is the lowest cost after factoring in everything, including bag fees and change fees. Most people can add, and if you can add, you can pretty well factor in the bag fees. The change fee might be a bit more complex as it requires multiplication and probability, but on balance, people factor that in as well.

5) I think getting into Atlanta, a market that SWA has be unable to get into using traditional growth methods, combined with everything else SWA is getting in the deal, easily justifies the price.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FCfree
1) I personally love open seating and I think a lot other people do as well. To say almost no one likes it is incorrect.
I agree with most of the points you make above but I REALLY agree with you on this one.

Open seating is 80% of why I fly WN. I LUV it.

The other 20% of why I fly them is that they have a gazillion flights between the city pairs I most often fly.

I would also have given WN some kudos for their low fares and/or goofy and fun FA's but, unfortunately, I haven't noticed either lately.

Last edited by Cholula; Sep 30, 2010 at 6:25 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
I would also have give WN some kudos for their low fares and/or goofy and fun FA's but, unfortunately, I haven't noticed either lately.

Low fares, indeed not. If you book last minute as I nearly always do, then WN are about equivalent to everyone else, especially intra CA.

Goofy/fun FAs depend on the flight. TBH, I sometimes like this and sometimes don't. In a bizarre twist, it seems that entertainer FAs always seem to be on IROPS blighted flights right now in my little world. WX may not be WN's fault, but if I'm about to miss a connection in MDW due to a 2 hour delay, I could really do without the singing!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by CALimey
Low fares, indeed not. If you book last minute as I nearly always do, then WN are about equivalent to everyone else, especially intra CA.
The walk-up fares would be even higher without Virgin, JetBlue, and Southwest in these markets.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by nsx
The walk-up fares would be even higher without Virgin, JetBlue, and Southwest in these markets.
Well aware of that NSX- I remember when WN were NOT seriously in this market. the $300 RT walk up that pisses me off now was the regular legacy fare back then- even weeks in advance!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by nsx
As I've said before in other threads, it's not that there isn't any difference (fare-wise) between WN and legacy carriers.... It's that the differences appear drastically less than in years past between what legacies charge, vs what WN charges on a given route/date.

Personally for me, the Bags Fly Free deal doesn't make up for lack of those "I can't believe I can actually fly there for so little money!!" fares I remember back when.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by nsx
from the WSJ:

Southwest Alters Plan
AirTran Deal Injects Risk, Opens Way to Big, New Markets

Excerpt:
Southwest, which first floated the possibility of a takeover to AirTran in April, says it isn't worried and that management is prepared. "We're very confident about our ability to pull this off," Gary Kelly, Southwest's chief executive, said on Monday.
Was this idea really floated in April? Where?
From BusinessWeek:
The Southwest-AirTran deal was announced less than a week before Continental Airlines and United Airlines were expected to close their merger, creating the world's biggest carrier. As part of the concessions needed to gain regulatory approval for that tieup, Continental ceded landing slots to Southwest at Newark, giving Southwest its first flights at the capacity-constrained New Jersey airport. The Continental-United combination will push that airline ahead of Delta, which claimed the title of biggest only two years ago by acquiring Northwest. Kelly denies that the consolidation movement played much of a role in his decision to call AirTran Chairman and CEO Robert L. Fornaro last spring to broach the topic of a deal.
(Emphasis mine.)
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:08 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by gsupstate
As I've said before in other threads, it's not that there isn't any difference (fare-wise) between WN and legacy carriers.... It's that the differences appear drastically less than in years past between what legacies charge, vs what WN charges on a given route/date.
But Southwest still includes a free option to cancel or change, something the other guys charge for. On a $49 fee, change fees make the purchase completely non-refundable, non-changeable.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by nsx
But Southwest still includes a free option to cancel or change, something the other guys charge for. On a $49 fee, change fees make the purchase completely non-refundable, non-changeable.
That is actually a very good point nsx, and something that people play down in importance. My own travel plans, for example, are very fluid.

When travelling with legacies, I often 'make do' to avoid change fees, or jump on a waitlist. With WN, I can simply switch to a different flight at no penalty.

To a FF, getting into SNA at 12:00PM rather than 3:45PM if a meeting finishes early can make a hell of a difference to ones quality of life. You can usually do this with legacies too, but hanging around on a waitlist is seriously unfun.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:59 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nsx
$49 ... heck, I had to 'throw away' a $130 ticket this week on AA ... I had a one-day trip to Des Plaines (five minutes from ORD) and I certainly could not justify flying into MDW for a meeting that is basically at ORD.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
How was ground handling done for FL at EYW at the rest of the "AllegianTran" stations? I would like to see WN keep service to those places but up to this point it was only with 8x daily 737 quota and with their own personnel (this I would like to see maintained). Does WN have any precedence on maintaining a crew that is part time only but otherwise still mainline WN workers? Any union stance on that issue? I would hate, hate, hate to see WN go on that slippery slope of contracting out ground services at the stations that can't support a full shift of their own people.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FCfree
Loss of business and frequent travelers. It may be true that a few people that are always getting upgraded on Air Tran will jump ship and go over to Delta.
And then when they figure out how many zillions of DL Medallions live in ATL, slurping up all the upgrades, they may well jump ship again.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
And then when they figure out how many zillions of DL Medallions live in ATL, slurping up all the upgrades, they may well jump ship again.
Not for the thousands with status on both in the ATL market. No business seat option on a 4+ hour flight is a hang-up.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:01 am

Some interesting insight from Bloomberg Businessweek:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...8022740823.htm
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
For the people that were talking about wifi...I meant to put IFE in there. My bad.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
This is B.S.

WN's wi-fi is satellite based & in the long run technically superior to others (e.g. Delta). WN is also upgrading all of their older 737-300s to glass cockpits and as far as i know is the only major U.S. airline that is 100% committed to RNP.

And it really doesn't matter much to me if a 16-year-old has never flown WN.
First of all, you have no authority to announce that. Second, aren't those 733's old?

Originally Posted by jlemon
Oh, the fact that repainting the entire fleet would cost millions and millions of dollars might have something to do with it........

It appears that you are not in the business world.....you know, budgets and stuff like that.....
Look at DL/NW. They have a fleet of over 1,100 and most of them (the D93s, D94s, and some 757s) got repainted. WN is about half of that IIRC.

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I'm not sure where you are finding your "facts." WN is installing Wi-Fi fleetwide. No doubt their deployment is behind most, save the more "modern" B6, but your claim above is false.
Originally Posted by Peter T.
Your loss. I flown DL and WN often (currently have over 250K miles in the bank on SkyMiles). Overall, I've had far better flying experiences on WN than on DL. One day, you might want to give WN a try.

But how would you know? By your own admission, you have only flown DL. You haven't flown WN, FL, or B6. How can you make educated comments that WN is cheapskate and B6 is more modern not having flown either?

BTW, cheapskate airlines are those who charge for checked baggage.

So is DL changing their look after their merger in NW? Is DL changing their name too?
I feel a sense of accomplishment of not flying WN. Never happening...

DL didn't get a new look because it was already in the process of transitioning into a new look. The current theme was introduced less than a year before the NW merger was.

Originally Posted by Beckles
WN is installing Wifi on all their aircraft. Of course, AirTran already has Wifi on all its aircraft, why is it taking Southwest longer? Because WN did not think that the AirCell GoGo option that is based on the decades old GTE Airfone network is a good long-term solution, instead they're going with a more expensive system designed in the 21st century using satellites.
Originally Posted by alggag
Ah, my favorite. The I've never flown WN but I know all there is to know about their service which is why I will continue to never fly on WN type.

WN IS in the process of installing wifi.

My definition of a "cheapskate" airline is one that treats their employees like garbage and pays them pathetic wages.
My definition is how they treat passengers, not employees.

Originally Posted by gsupstate
At least I can totally agree with you on that point.... I really thought the Frontier/Midwest thing should have resulted in a totally new livery and combined name. Just my .02....
+1

Originally Posted by MilesMonster
As others have stated, WN is putting wifi on its planes. I first used wifi on a WN flight in June 2009.
Originally Posted by tacommuter
Although I spend most of my time on legacy carriers, certainly, I have nothing against the low-cost approach per se. And I wouldn't say that I will never fly WN. I will, however, say that I will never fly them as long as it remains impossible to make an advance seat reservation. I have no problem with the low-cost carriers (for example, Vueling in Europe) who will charge extra to make a seat assignment or for specific desireable seats, but I absolutely despise the idea of rushing onto a plane (no matter how well organized the cattle chute) to quick grab a seat before someone else gets it (and of course having to be sure to be lined up at the gate at the very start of boarding to have any chance of an acceptable seat).

So, I see it as VERY unfortunate if Southwest plans on making AirTran change to its no-seat-assignment approach. In that case, rather than opening up new routes so that I might try Southwest, the merger will simply eliminate AirTran from my list of options.
The open seating system is another negative for me. Gotta have assigned seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.