Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Disadvantages of booking a 2 segment flight as 2 one ways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disadvantages of booking a 2 segment flight as 2 one ways?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by expert7700
YMMV on through checking the bag.

Sometimes, maybe 1 out of 15, the ticketing agents refuse to tag it any further than your first stop. they tell you that you'll need to retrieve it at baggage claim and re-check it. I've booked tickets for a coworker who has had this happen to him a few times, he always argues for a few minutes then gives in, and goes outside of security to get and re/check his bag. Fortunately those flights he's always had an hour plus layover time.
Just find a different agent. You have to go through the regular "seniors, strollers and UM" line to do it. Tell the agent (if they're confused) to build a standby leg on the first PNR to the final destination. So, if you had two PNRs on a PDX-DEN-HOU leg, they'd build the standby leg for DEN-HOU under the PDX-DEN PNR. Tag your bag, then make sure they delete the DEN-HOU standby leg. The only time I've had to reclaim a bag is when I make two plane changes.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Heryanta
Grrr... I need to do AUS-LAX on Nov 14th and to price it as separate reservations adds about $60 to the $130 price if it's booked as one reservation.
It's a shame because otherwise I'd get 4 RR due to the Denver double RR promotion
You headed to the AOPA conference by any chance? My HOU-(DEN)-LAX in question is also on 11/14.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: SWA, UAL, SPG, AA
Originally Posted by alggag
You headed to the AOPA conference by any chance? My HOU-(DEN)-LAX in question is also on 11/14.
No, just for general misbehaving in Austin and probably catch the Longhorns vs Oklahoma St game if I can convince the girlfriend ....
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Sounds fun either way. Went to school at UT so I will always have a soft spot for Austin.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:08 am
73G

Programs: WN CP & A-List; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Just find a different agent. You have to go through the regular "seniors, strollers and UM" line to do it. Tell the agent (if they're confused) to build a standby leg on the first PNR to the final destination. So, if you had two PNRs on a PDX-DEN-HOU leg, they'd build the standby leg for DEN-HOU under the PDX-DEN PNR. Tag your bag, then make sure they delete the DEN-HOU standby leg. The only time I've had to reclaim a bag is when I make two plane changes.
Great tip, tusphotog--thanks for the details. I had previously thought you couldn't check bags flying point to point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.