FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   "What's up With These Crazy DING! Fares? See for yourself...." (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1115577-whats-up-these-crazy-ding-fares-see-yourself.html)

braddqq Aug 12, 2010 9:32 am

"What's up With These Crazy DING! Fares? See for yourself...."

Oakland to San Antonio for $99 One-Way!

- Fare is valid for travel Monday-Saturday, September 1 through September 30, 2010 only

San Francisco to Tucson for $99 One-Way!

- Fare is valid for travel Monday-Thursday and Saturday, September 1 through September 30, 2010 only

======================

Wow, that IS crazy! I not only happened to need to go to Tucson between Mon-Thurs and Sat in September, but $99???? Geez, it's like $100 one way everywhere else, it's a good thing I didn't miss this offer!!!!

No, not interested in it, and it was a waste of 5 seconds of my time opening this window. It's starting to question our intelligence here, and Southwest should think about not even sending them out if these are the deals.

jrpaguia Aug 12, 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by braddqq (Post 14468630)
Wow, that IS crazy!

WN's new yield management software has pretty much made Ding! obsolete as a source of bargain basement blowout deals.

Crazy Ding! fares are now about as rare as finding a LeBron jersey in CLE.

braddqq Aug 12, 2010 10:55 am

See here's the thing. Since the nature of Ding! is to provide only a few "deals", they need to be good enough to entice folks to think, "Well, I had no need to go to Tuscon, but for $59? Why not." They can't possibly be getting much adoption when they pick a couple of random cities for fares that I suppose are "OK" but no one is going to jump over tables trying to grab a $99 one way fare to San Antonio.

I would think though that they are tracking how many Ding! fares are purchased, and I suppose the volume is good enough to continue with this program, so maybe the bay area is just a poor market right now.

But gosh, I used to be a Ding! fanatic, now it's just dumb.

jrpaguia Aug 12, 2010 11:01 am

Originally Posted by braddqq (Post 14469213)

Agreed. They had some insane $25 intra-CA fares....last year.

Ding! needs to go buh-bye or do something useful like offering to print our BP's and give us customizable flight status updates.

stevekoe Aug 12, 2010 2:32 pm

It's possible that it is time to uninstall DING! I looked at my offers for today - admittedly with a tainted point of view after reading some of the responses in this thread. One of the "deals" was MCO-AUS for $83. Now, I have looked at MCO-AUS recently, and this wasn't a bad fare - if they had the $83 available for days I wanted. They didn't. So, I played around with the dates and found something interesting. For an outbound flight on 9/27, the DING! fare was available for $83, but there was also a Wanna Get Away fare available for $81.

DING! Fail.

flg8rmatt Aug 13, 2010 8:41 am

I never put Ding back on my laptop after I recently reformatted it. Ding is great when there is a cheap (~ $39) PHX-LAS or PHX-SAN fare. It's close enough to home that I might just jump on something like that when I want a weekend away.

But like stevekoe, I booked a RT flight to LAS back in May for a wedding in June and the WGA fares were $4 less each way than the Ding fares! ($55 vs $59). So that, combined with the fact the most common destination on Ding from PHX these days seemed to be ELP...a city no one wants to go to unless they have family or friends there...made the program essentially worthless to me.

pinniped Aug 13, 2010 8:43 am

I agree on the overall suckitude of Ding, but I still dutifully click it every time a new one shows up.

Most of the fares are laughable. But about once every 2 months or so, I'll get one of my regular Southwest routes on Ding and book 3 or 4 segments. All of my September MCI-DAL segments are $62 Dings. (Of course, $62 to DAL isn't really a screaming good deal, but the regular fare these days has been high - $79 to $88 one-way, plus taxes.)

I also booked an MCI-MDW Ding a few weeks back...$49 like it should be. :)

I keep hoping that once we move into fall some better fares will return.

tusphotog Aug 13, 2010 8:54 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by braddqq
See here's the thing. Since the nature of Ding! is to provide only a few "deals", they need to be good enough to entice folks to think, "Well, I had no need to go to Tuscon, but for $59? Why not." They can't possibly be getting much adoption when they pick a couple of random cities for fares that I suppose are "OK" but no one is going to jump over tables trying to grab a $99 one way fare to San Antonio.

I would think though that they are tracking how many Ding! fares are purchased, and I suppose the volume is good enough to continue with this program, so maybe the bay area is just a poor market right now.

Where is this "Tuscon" you speak of? ;)

nsx Aug 13, 2010 9:43 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 14474876)
Where is this "Tuscon" you speak of? ;)

It's the capital of Tuscony. :D

SKIEL Aug 13, 2010 11:53 am

Never saw a "Ding" that that was worth it....

braddqq Aug 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Ha ha, well Arizona's always been a little backwards :-)

azgrunge Aug 14, 2010 11:25 am

brad, we are not sdrawkcab in az. that is just your imagination. Now as to why anyone would want to go to Tucson, I certainly raise that issue (being a Sun Devil).:p