Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Bank of Southwest" has restricted TTF withdrawals effective April 29, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Bank of Southwest" has restricted TTF withdrawals effective April 29, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:35 pm
t22

Originally Posted by nitro
Anybody that has a family and is "in the game" on how the CURRENT system works definitely takes it on the chin with this change. All of those last minute book it and change your mind trips are out the window.

I use heavily for 8 family members including 3 away at college with schedules constantly changing

This is a bad move on WN's part - This will absolutely change my current allegiance with WN.
they have already lost me to JetBlue for September trip just booked. For my situation & travel patterns, jetBlue is now MUCH better. I will now be predominately using jetBlue.
Only time will tell if better for Southwest. Many stores have been attempting to eliminate " undesirable" ( BestBuy's wording) customers by changing return policy, price match policy. coupon policy etc. Some have been success and some not.
To me, this is what Southwest is doing
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Anybody else wondering if this means January 28, 2011 will also be the effective date of RR 2.0? If not, why such a seemingly random date?

And Welcome to FlyerTalk, t22!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alggag
Is that a new change to be implemented in 2011 with the changes to TTF? You are currently given the option for a refund or TTF when you cancel a reward booking for the taxes/fees.
Not sure about reward tickets but the following is in 90(B) of the old CoC:
Taxes, security fees, and passenger facility charges associated with a nonrefundable fare are also not eligible for refund.
It sounded to me like MikeMpls planned to refund taxes/PFCs back to cash on any changed revenue tickets, which is not something that the carrier seems inclined to do either today nor in the future.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Anybody else wondering if this means January 28, 2011 will also be the effective date of RR 2.0? If not, why such a seemingly random date?

I can't imagine less than 6 months notice on 2.0 ( certainly doesn't mean it won't happen ).

January 28 could be a planned mini schedule extension. It is exactly 3 weeks past the current date.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:13 pm

Why can you not imagine less than six months notice for 2.0?
40. Southwest Airlines reserves the right to amend, suspend, or terminate this program at any time, with 30 days’ notice.
They changed the former six months notice rule back on June 8, 2007, effective December 8, 2007.

My impression is they are very anxious to make the switch and will do so as soon as possible once IT has everything ready.

The CoC, OTOH, requires no advance notice of changes, but this TTF rule change was made with six to seven months notice. If the primary motivation had been merely to put it beyond the current booking window, January 8th would have worked.

ETA: In any event, the Q2 conference call is July 29. They could announce RR 2.0 then, or that week, and it would be six months notice.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jul 18, 2010 at 4:23 pm Reason: As noted
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10)

Originally Posted by ftnoob

I could have sworn I read a post here saying RR 2.0 won't occur in 2011. With all of WNs IT troubles of late, when they do make RR 2.0 live, it won't work.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:34 pm

Maybe you are thinking of this (bolding mine):
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
We're safe from RR 2.0 until 2011...
But I admit I don't follow the RR 2.0 speculation much at all.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by tusphotog
With all of WNs IT troubles of late, when they do make RR 2.0 live, it won't work.
+5
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
nevermind
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm not sure that you'll be successful in such requests.
From 4(C)(3)(i):

You're not going to get that money back.
I believe they are refundable with companion fares and award tickets, which as I pointed out are > half our combined tickets.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I believe they are refundable with companion fares and award tickets, which as I pointed out are > half our combined tickets.
Is there a reason why you weren't just taking refunds in the first place? I really don't see why you would accept credit over a refund when the refund option is available in any situation (not just WN specific). I'd much rather have cash (credit on my CC) than have to keep track of a bunch of codes that are only worth a couple of bucks.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Now the option to change or cancel will no longer be effectively free for infrequent travelers. With this change, my family members and friends will be less likely to fly Southwest.
How much less likely? There are still no change/cancellation fees

I guess this will cut back on the amount of these issued for sale on Ebay, CL, etc.... which protects WN revenue. Will it cost WN some revenue? I think it will.. but not enough to offset the gains they will realize when is becomes impossible for others to sell WN TTF's.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:05 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mvoight
How much less likely? There are still no change/cancellation fees
WN is not at all the most convenient way to get across the country. Until now, WN has been the first choice for my relatives because of full re-usability of funds. I booked their travel and they reimbursed me at the time of the trip.

Now I will have to look at nonstops on other carriers, starting with JetBlue. Better flight at the same price, and equivalent 100% penalty if you travel less than once per year.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:20 am

What will happen with LUV vouchers? If those become non-transferable it makes VDB much less appealing. If they remain transferable, reissuing funds for the $50 fee restores some transferability to TTF...unless that whole process changes.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
WN is not at all the most convenient way to get across the country. Until now, WN has been the first choice for my relatives because of full re-usability of funds. I booked their travel and they reimbursed me at the time of the trip.

Now I will have to look at nonstops on other carriers, starting with JetBlue. Better flight at the same price, and equivalent 100% penalty if you travel less than once per year.
Nsx,

It's had to call this a 100% equivalent penalty if you fly less than once a year. A family trip that gets put off for a day, month, or even 364 days later could end with the family still flying on the original funds, with no new money needed.

And still superior to Jetblue (no contest): Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK with Jetblue, if a family or business traveller misses a flight and want to fly even the next day, you'd be purchasing a new ticket, resulting in the fare being doubled.

That being said, I'm still not happy with this change because as family travel planner, I'm going to have to match up funds so each passenger has their own spreadsheet page/bucket of $$; instead of me using a global spreadsheet and bucket of $$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.