Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR Visa S/U: Free Flight and $500 GCs! (EXPIRED; Now: Offer issues discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RR Visa S/U: Free Flight and $500 GCs! (EXPIRED; Now: Offer issues discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:46 pm

Is the easiest way to spend $5K (assuming you don't need a business class flight or decked out Alienware computer) the whole Presidential coin purchasing that I have seen on other threads?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
I applied and was asked to wait for 15 days. Does anyone know the number to call to check the status and/or re-allocate credit lines?

Also, if I transfer $1 will I still get the additional RR credits for the balance transfer? I tried searching for the balance transfer limits, but could not find them.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:12 pm

Wife applied and got a note about response in 15 days ...
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:25 pm

subdawg. The address to apply is http://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb...p.do?SPID=cyjx. I got to the link by going to www.creditcardcity.net and clicked on credit card news. I see now that there's a story on the promo which leads you to www.creditcardwatcher.com (just go there directly). Find the feature and you find the link. I haven't applied for the card yet. I need to first reach my $1000 in spending in three months on my SPG amex to reach the 30,000 bonus points before I try for the Southwest Visa. Anyone know how long the Southwest $500 gift card promo will last?

Last edited by julielou2; Jul 13, 2010 at 3:36 pm
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by 73G
You'll need to spend the $5000 within three months of the card opening. From the Chase website for this offer at http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/6000054/Default.aspx : "Qualifying transactions must be posted within 90 days from account opening. Qualifying transactions include purchases, balance transfers and any checks that are used to access your account, but exclude cash advances." Based on my recent Chase BA card experience, you actually have a few days less than 90 days since the account opens before you receive the card in the mail.

In any case, this offer looks like a great deal if you're up for dealing with the high spend requirement.
If making purchases for $5000 is a problem, one can do balance transfer for 5000 dollars and get $500 gift cards + 4 RR credits (1 credit for every 1200 dollars balance transfer). You end up paying $150 in balance transfer fee.
or one can also do combination of purchases + balance transfer to meet $5000 spend.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by JIM_Travel
Is the easiest way to spend $5K (assuming you don't need a business class flight or decked out Alienware computer) the whole Presidential coin purchasing that I have seen on other threads?
I don't believe Chase allows $1 coins towards earning points/bonuses.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:22 pm

I applied on July 7th and got an e-mail approval today (July 16th). E-mail indicated the credit line and the card would arrive in the mail in the next few days

Thanks for the link.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:38 pm

Applied yesterday. Got 15 days reply. Called 888-245-0625 (Chase credit lending department back door number). Rep said card was denied due to high credit line available in other chase cards. I told them I am willing to reduce credit line on other cards if they can approve this. Rep approved in 2 minutes by reducing credit line on other card by 10K and adding that to new card.

BTW, I applied for BA card back in March, so 1 card in 6 month policy is not strict I guess.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:50 am

I also applied a few weeks ago, was not auto approved, got an e-mail a few days ago saying I was approved. Got the card today, no mention of the GC bonus So when I called to activate the card, it went straight to a person, no auto activaction, I asked about the GC, she looked in the computer and started reading about $500 GC for $5000 purchase in 90 days, etc. so cool...

Any other bonus point to be had?! (Chase or RR directly) I don't have a balance to transfer.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:09 am

Anyone know how long the free flight + $500 gift card promo will last?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
What's the average length of time for approval?

I've got a $5000 charge due at the end of August and I'm tempted to do this just for the gift cards...don't need the extra RR ticket.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:36 pm

I applied on 7/20 and received the response that I would be notified by mail within 15 days regarding the status of my application. I hope I get approved because this looks like a really good deal. Not sure why it would take up to 15 days to review my application. And why send the decision through the mail and not through e-mail. Is a USPS mail response a legal requirement?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by julielou2
I applied on 7/20 and received the response that I would be notified by mail within 15 days regarding the status of my application. I hope I get approved because this looks like a really good deal. Not sure why it would take up to 15 days to review my application. And why send the decision through the mail and not through e-mail. Is a USPS mail response a legal requirement?
I don't think it's a legal requirement to use the USPS unless they turn you down (Fair Credit Report Act). I think they just say that to cover it in general.

I applied on 7/11 and got an email yesterday saying I was accepted and to look for the card in the mail.

Good luck on your application

SacFitz
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:19 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If you had a chase online user id and you provided it on the application, the account will appear in your list of accounts as soon as it is approved.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: status-less.
Wife applied for card on 7/7, cards received on 7/21. Paperwork supplied with cards explicitly stated the fee waiver for the 1st year but made no mention of the 16 credit bonus for first purchase or the gift cards. We therefore called the 800 number on the back of the card first, rather than the activation number, to query. Upon prompting the representative stated that they were aware of the promotion but that he had to look up the codes to apply them to the account...after a moment he said we were all set for the first use credits plus the gift cards and so we gave him the ok to activate the cards.

We'll see how this works and will report on the results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.