Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR Visa S/U: Free Flight and $500 GCs! (EXPIRED; Now: Offer issues discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RR Visa S/U: Free Flight and $500 GCs! (EXPIRED; Now: Offer issues discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:04 am

No First Year Fee

A user over at FatWallet posted the link found below which excludes the first year annual fee.

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/6000054/Default.aspx
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jackcrawfish
A user over at FatWallet posted the link found below which excludes the first year annual fee.

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/6000054/Default.aspx
Outstanding offer! I'll post this as a newsflash in the sticky thread.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:52 am

Thanks for the offer! Just curious as to whether others received instant approval? I applied yesterday, and did not. That's unusual for me even with Chase, so I have the feeling they're going to turn me down.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:44 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mareh
Thanks for the offer! Just curious as to whether others received instant approval? I applied yesterday, and did not. That's unusual for me even with Chase, so I have the feeling they're going to turn me down.
I have a huge stack of credit cards (I can't resist a good signup bonus) and I rarely get instant approval when I already hold a card from the same bank. However my final approval rate is over 80%. Sometimes they reallocate credit limits to accommodate the new card. Don't sweat it.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:21 pm

I got denied for this CC because I got the Chase Slate card within the last 6 months, and i have excellent credit. they said no more than 1 CC within 6 month period.

Guess they are cracking down at Chase :-(
Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta SM, Southwest RR, Frontier ER.
I applied for this card on Jul 5th. Received a thanks for applying Email, and was advised to expect a response via regular mail within 15 days. I already have a Chase branded card. Thanks to OP for this tip!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by mymyles
I got denied for this CC because I got the Chase Slate card within the last 6 months, and i have excellent credit. they said no more than 1 CC within 6 month period.

Guess they are cracking down at Chase :-(
I don't know how I managed to get the WN card and the CO card just four weeks or so apart. This was back in April.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:12 pm
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
What's the better offer?

I'm about to apply for a Southwest card and have options:

Option 1: I received the targeted offer for 32 credits after your 1st purchase from Chase. I like that you only have make 1 purchase to get my credits, and then stop using that card. I normally use the Fidelity Investments 2% cash back card.

Option 2: The other offer mentioned in this thread is only 16 credits upfront, but you need to spend $5000 to get a $500 gift card (which easily translates into 2 more round trips on Southwest).

Spending the $5000 is not a problem for me within a year, but as I see it I'm already getting 2 free flights with Option 1 with little to no work. With Option 2, I'd essentially get 1 more flight (assuming each flight is valued at $250 per ticket), but you have to spend $5,000 to get it.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by aap
Spending the $5000 is not a problem for me within a year, but as I see it I'm already getting 2 free flights with Option 1 with little to no work. With Option 2, I'd essentially get 1 more flight (assuming each flight is valued at $250 per ticket), but you have to spend $5,000 to get it.
On the Fidelity card, you would be giving up $100 in rewards on $5,000 spend. With the WN Chase card, you most likely would be earning the RR credits for spend while working on the gift card thresholds.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:37 pm
73G

Programs: WN CP & A-List; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by aap
You'll need to spend the $5000 within three months of the card opening. From the Chase website for this offer at http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/6000054/Default.aspx : "Qualifying transactions must be posted within 90 days from account opening. Qualifying transactions include purchases, balance transfers and any checks that are used to access your account, but exclude cash advances." Based on my recent Chase BA card experience, you actually have a few days less than 90 days since the account opens before you receive the card in the mail.

In any case, this offer looks like a great deal if you're up for dealing with the high spend requirement.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:14 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just buy Southwest gift cards if you're short, and use them any time later.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by aap
To me, the $500 gift card is worth more than 2 flights. Under your $250 assumptions... the $500 gift card gets you two awards, plus you'll earn credits (at least 4 credits, plus bonuses) for those flights. Plus the $500 doesn't expire...awards expire.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:24 am

Is there a website that consolidates all available credit card offers for any type of credit card? It is crazy trying to keep up with all the possible offers for one credit card, let alone all of them.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
To me, the $500 gift card is worth more than 2 flights. Under your $250 assumptions... the $500 gift card gets you two awards, plus you'll earn credits (at least 4 credits, plus bonuses) for those flights. Plus the $500 doesn't expire...awards expire.
I sat on the emailed 32 credit offer for over a month hoping for the $500 gift card offer. The 2nd free flight as opposed to the $500 is only better if one is going to use it on a flight that is more than $250 each way, or if it's going to be hard to spend $5000 in 90 days.

Paying for flights w/ gift cards also makes it easier to change if one is traveling during a period where there is likely to be capacity restrictions on the reward ticket. It may cost a little more coin, but that flexibility is nice when one has to book an award ticket well in advance and there might not be alternate flights as the flight date approaches.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:42 pm

If you aren't able to use your 32-credit offer, I'll be happy to put it to good use! I'm in the opposite boat...probably wouldn't be able to hit the 5k spend, so I was hoping to receive the 32-credit offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.