Wiki Posts
Search

Inconsistency of SWA flight attendants

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Inconsistency of SWA flight attendants

I flew SWA for my first time because of the credit card promotion I got in Denver last year when I was on United and went to the C concourse to get it.

I went to SEA via SMF. The DEN flight attendants reminded me of a legacy. Service oriented and professional which I liked.

The second flight was SMF sea and I had the SWA flight attendant of the year. The flight attendants were over the top, bordering on unprofessional. I did not like the attitudes and lack of professionalism. maybe I am not used to this style. However, I was not impressed by the inconsistency. I see so much inconsistency now on united with co which is why I choose AA more, but the SWA flights were exact opposites. I thought I was on two different airlines, not to mention the stress of not having an assigned seat.

Why does SWA not have consistent service with its flight crews? I flew LAN on 5 flights and the service was consistent. It was nice to know what to expect. I will use up the last of my free credit card miles and see if my flights are more professional before I ever actually pay for a ticket on SWA.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
I flew SWA for my first time because of the credit card promotion I got in Denver last year when I was on United and went to the C concourse to get it.

I went to SEA via SMF. The DEN flight attendants reminded me of a legacy. Service oriented and professional which I liked.

The second flight was SMF sea and I had the SWA flight attendant of the year. The flight attendants were over the top, bordering on unprofessional. I did not like the attitudes and lack of professionalism. maybe I am not used to this style. However, I was not impressed by the inconsistency. I see so much inconsistency now on united with co which is why I choose AA more, but the SWA flights were exact opposites. I thought I was on two different airlines, not to mention the stress of not having an assigned seat.

Why does SWA not have consistent service with its flight crews? I flew LAN on 5 flights and the service was consistent. It was nice to know what to expect. I will use up the last of my free credit card miles and see if my flights are more professional before I ever actually pay for a ticket on SWA.

HUH? You kept saying the FA was inconsistent and unprofessional and yet, you didn't even mentioned what they did or didn't do. Could you please elaborate?

I see inconsistency FAs on ALL airline i flew with. Flew from Barcelona back to EWR on UA and i had some of the worse flight crew throwing attitude to passengers. Even my traveling companion on the flight noticed that also.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:46 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I find it hard to believe that someone that has never paid for a ticket has enough data points to determine consistency. At 100+ flights a year, I can say they are very consistent. There are outliers, but for the most part they are very predictable. One may not like their style or the particular processes, but that does not make them inconsistent.

Two flights and a judgement is made about the consistency of the FA's on the entire airline. I can understand though. If I got stressed by something as inconsequential as open seating, I would probably be hypersensitive to FA variability as well.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I find it hard to believe that someone that has never paid for a ticket has enough data points to determine consistency. At 100+ flights a year, I can say they are very consistent. There are outliers, but for the most part they are very predictable. One may not like their style or the particular processes, but that does not make them inconsistent.

Two flights and a judgement is made about the consistency of the FA's on the entire airline. I can understand though. If I got stressed by something as inconsequential as open seating, I would probably be hypersensitive to FA variability as well.
+1
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Just what are you wanting them to do? I just like speedy drink service and I am content for my flight.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I love FA, in FC the ones with the most seniority do nothing...

I have even seen them bring up the help from the back to cover their duties.
Must have been Union Break Time.

Everyone has their days. For the most part Southwest has some great FA.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:13 am

Since open seating and whatever "inconsistency" you're referring to was so stressful to you,
Free tickets are no bargain, if it is so upsetting and unpleasant for you.

Last edited by hat attack; Apr 21, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:41 am

Seriously people? You're going to jump all over the OP?

I think he has a point, and I've flown hundreds of WN flights.

WN FA's are some of the best in the industry, but they *are* inconsistent; we've discussed several examples of it on here before -- with regards to COS enforcement, keeping an item in the seat back pocket, use of noise-cancelling headphones during take-off, drink coupon acceptance, singing/non-singing, etc.

I've received radically different levels of service on different flights ranging from inattentive to professionally polite to way over the top. I think this is most likely a result of WN's "relaxed" attitude, which allows for a greater range of "performance" from an FA. Personally, I prefer quick, quiet, professional service over things like sliding peanuts down the aisle, stupid jokes or singing the safety speech, but I realize that's what I sometimes may get on WN.

The larger issue may be that the OP reminds us that many flyers are simply not used to the WN travel experience, and that it can be jarring and off-putting to the uninitiated.

I don't think it helps anyone or further's the discussion at all to rudely dismiss this point of view.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
If I got stressed by something as inconsequential as open seating, I would probably be hypersensitive to FA variability as well.
Ways to avoid the stress of SWA seating:

Suite101: Southwest Airlines Open Seating and Boarding Tips and Tricks
        Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
        Originally Posted by ursine1
        Seriously people? You're going to jump all over the OP?

I think he has a point, and I've flown hundreds of WN flights.

WN FA's are some of the best in the industry, but they *are* inconsistent; we've discussed several examples of it on here before -- with regards to COS enforcement, keeping an item in the seat back pocket, use of noise-cancelling headphones during take-off, drink coupon acceptance, singing/non-singing, etc.

I've received radically different levels of service on different flights ranging from inattentive to professionally polite to way over the top. I think this is most likely a result of WN's "relaxed" attitude, which allows for a greater range of "performance" from an FA. Personally, I prefer quick, quiet, professional service over things like sliding peanuts down the aisle, stupid jokes or singing the safety speech, but I realize that's what I sometimes may get on WN.

The larger issue may be that the OP reminds us that many flyers are simply not used to the WN travel experience, and that it can be jarring and off-putting to the uninitiated.

I don't think it helps anyone or further's the discussion at all to rudely dismiss this point of view.

My point is that the OP said the FA are inconsistent on WN but did not mention anything about what they did or didn't do to make it inconsistent.

Could it be the FAA's or company's policy has changed in between the time the OP took the flights and the FA did something differently.
        Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
        Originally Posted by LegalTender
        Never read that before, but these are some decent tips. I dislike sitting in the back, but wouldn't mind if it meant my wife and I sit together!
        Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Pi7473000

They're sure going to miss you.
        Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by SDCA
        My point is that the OP said the FA are inconsistent on WN but did not mention anything about what they did or didn't do to make it inconsistent.
        The OP found FA's over-the-top and unprofessional on one flight and not the other. Another poster sympathized, noting that sliding peanuts down the aisle, stupid jokes or singing the safety speech are "what I sometimes may get on WN."

I think there's enough to go on.
        Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
        The OP found FA's over-the-top and unprofessional on one flight and not the other. Another poster sympathized, noting that sliding peanuts down the aisle, stupid jokes or singing the safety speech are "what I sometimes may get on WN."

I think there's enough to go on.
        ^
        Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
        Originally Posted by ursine1
        with regards to COS enforcement,
        FA's have no responsibility as far as COS seating goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.