Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buddy Pass

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Buddy Pass

A friend of mine is having a birthday party in Jax in late April. She has generously offered up her husband's buddy pass. (He is a pilot for SWA.)

For clarification - buddy passes are only good for standby travel and you aren't guaranteed a seat, correct?

I have to be back in town for a meeting the Monday following the party. . .so I am feeling like I should probably just book my own ticket so I don't have the stress of worrying whether I'll be able to get home in time.

Thanks. .
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kaiserin
A friend of mine is having a birthday party in Jax in late April. She has generously offered up her husband's buddy pass. (He is a pilot for SWA.)

For clarification - buddy passes are only good for standby travel and you aren't guaranteed a seat, correct?

I have to be back in town for a meeting the Monday following the party. . .so I am feeling like I should probably just book my own ticket so I don't have the stress of worrying whether I'll be able to get home in time.

Thanks. .
Correct, standby only. Also, a side note.. it's a big no-no to purchase a seat as a backup for a flight on which you intend to use the buddy pass. You wouldn't want to get your friend's husband in trouble/terminated.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by BNA-WNFan
Correct, standby only. Also, a side note.. it's a big no-no to purchase a seat as a backup for a flight on which you intend to use the buddy pass. You wouldn't want to get your friend's husband in trouble/terminated.
What are the rules regarding use of a RR Award as a backup to a Buddy Pass? I'm assuming they're the same as using a ticket as a backup.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. . .

to clarify, it was going to be an either/or proposition for me - booking a back-up seat didn't cross my mind.

I do think that it would stress me out to no end to worry about not getting on a flight home - so, you definitely confirmed that maybe a buddy pass isn't a great thing for this particular trip!

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
If you call the 800 number on the back of the pass, you can check the load on the flight.. It'll say either good fair or bad. If it looks good, you should use the buddy pass. You'd hate to buy a ticket on a flight, get on, and realize that there's a bunch of open seats and you wasted your money.. You can keep calling and checking the loads leading up to the flight..

Also, consider buying a backup ticket on a LATER flight.. Buying a ticket on a flight that you have a nonrev listing for will void your reservation and listing (they don't want people displacing a seat with a reservation when they only intend to fly nonrev). But, I don't think there's any rule against having a ticket for a different flight later in the day.. If you get bumped or something, just get the refund or credit for a later flight.. Look at it this way,.. If you are going to get a ticket anyways, why not try to get on an earlier flight with the BP?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: WN Employee
Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
If you call the 800 number on the back of the pass, you can check the load on the flight.. It'll say either good fair or bad. If it looks good, you should use the buddy pass. You'd hate to buy a ticket on a flight, get on, and realize that there's a bunch of open seats and you wasted your money.. You can keep calling and checking the loads leading up to the flight..

Also, consider buying a backup ticket on a LATER flight.. Buying a ticket on a flight that you have a nonrev listing for will void your reservation and listing (they don't want people displacing a seat with a reservation when they only intend to fly nonrev). But, I don't think there's any rule against having a ticket for a different flight later in the day.. If you get bumped or something, just get the refund or credit for a later flight.. Look at it this way,.. If you are going to get a ticket anyways, why not try to get on an earlier flight with the BP?
Actually, having a reservation for any flight between those city pairs for the day will invalidate your nonrev listing. Any seat pulled is then potentially taken away from someone else wanting to buy it. Once a reservation is made, even if it is cancelled, a nonrev pass cannot be used. If you decide to buy a ticket, don't even think about trying to use the buddy pass or your friend could end up with issues.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:41 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Here is the official "word" from our Pass Guideline booklet.

If you, your guests, or eligible travelers hold reservations or have purchased tickets on any Southwest Airlines flight, you may not use space available passes on any Southwest Airlines flight in the same market or city pair (coterminals included) on the same date– even if the reservation was canceled.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm based in JAX and am a very frequent WN flyer... if you tell me which flight on which day I may be able to give you an idea of how full the flight normally is. You can PM if you're more comfortable doing so.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: sw
or you can post here or msg the few employees floating around, and we can give you a exact number of how many seats are open.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by SWABrian
Here is the official "word" from our Pass Guideline booklet.

If you, your guests, or eligible travelers hold reservations or have purchased tickets on any Southwest Airlines flight, you may not use space available passes on any Southwest Airlines flight in the same market or city pair (coterminals included) on the same date– even if the reservation was canceled.
Can a buddy pass be used for DIFFERENT travel dates than a previously canceled reservation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.