Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Saving seats is becoming an epidemic! EarlyBird check in.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saving seats is becoming an epidemic! EarlyBird check in.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Exactly. F/A's are unable to enforce "No seat saving" as there is no policy against it. So those that do, have "gone rogue" in an attempt to allow those that actually PAID THEIR EXTRA MONEY for a shot to sit in a good seat might actually get one. If you are saving seats, essentially you have stolen value from other pax tickets.

Originally Posted by mvoight
WN does have a policy, and that policy is that seats cannot be saved
If you want to sit together, pay for early boarding or wait and board with your group
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
judolphin and others: You are unwilling to buy EBCI, but think it is ok buy one and save a seat for someone who does not and is far back in the line? Don't you think someone who pays to board early should have choice of unfilled seats? Is that not the benefit associated with EBCI?
How do you know I'm unwilling? I have bought EBCI for my wife before, just to make sure she doesn't get high B or C. And really, anyone who expects anything more from EBCI is kidding themselves.

I think it's an incredibly tiresome, academic argument that has no bearing on real life when you actually fly. If you buy EBCI, you are guaranteed to get a window or aisle seat somewhere in the first dozen rows (there are 48 such seats). If you don't buy it and are not A-List, you run the risk of being B59 or C18 if you're not at a computer at T-24. That is a clear benefit to EBCI, and those lamenting that it's useless because of someone saving a seat or two, and those talking lawsuit against WN if they trip while climbing over a seat saver's legs, make me laugh.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by AlyJa
I am flying Southwest this weekend with my husband & 3 kids. Was thinking of signing my husband up for the Earlybird so he can get on & save us seats together. After reading these post & how rude people are I have just decided we will all board together. If we can't get seats together I will simply strap my 2 year old in between two of the $10 earlybird people & hope they enjoy the flight! What else can I do. I would rather have the extra $100 it would cost for all 5 of us to do the earlybird to spend on our vacation.
As someone else said, board after A-60 -- "Family Boarding"

And for the record, here's a non-FF who considers those begrudging seat saving for family "rude people". That is the normal sentiment, the vast majority sentiment, even if you disagree with it. This is why I consider arguing against seat-saving so academic: you're probably one of 2 people on the plane out of 137 who is miffed about it. It's not a battle you'll win.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
I really don't think the issue is seat saving but "best seat saving."

How many people would get upset about a couple of seats saved in row 20.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by judolphin
Is that worth saying? Who the hell is tackling you?

Puuh-LEEZE. Pot, meet kettle. As a 4-time-per-week flyer, you are A-List and will never run into the issue of "last aisle seat". You're being disingenuous. You also don't seem to care about anyone's interests but your own, evidenced that you don't give a lick about me/others sitting next to my friends/family (you told me to "grow up" when I mentioned this).

The fact you fly WN 4 times per week, are A-List, and get mad over seat saving is a head scratcher to me.

But by all means, feel free to give yourself high-blood pressure and ulcers over something that has zero material effect on your life.

Thank you. Someone on this thread is sane.

Oh, I fly 4 times a week...but not on WN. I HATE WN..for this issue and others. I fly WN when I have no choice, usually because of routing or time. I will always pick USAirways or Jet Blue as my LCC or a "legacy" where possible. I don't fly WN enough each yearly to earn A-list, but I will use EBCI when I do fly them.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:45 am

I think it's an incredibly tiresome, academic argument that has no bearing on real life when you actually fly.
Then stop participating. You've made clear that you find this non-important, so why do you keep egging it on with amateur psychology, speculative statistics, and presumptive knowledge of the thoughts and motivations of WN pax?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Then stop participating. You've made clear that you find this non-important, so why do you keep egging it on with amateur psychology, speculative statistics, and presumptive knowledge of the thoughts and motivations of WN pax?
Using the ignore button is preferable to telling someone else to stop participating on a message board.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:29 am

Using the ignore button is preferable to telling someone else to stop participating on a message board.
Translation: When someone tells you they're saving a seat, ignore them rather than telling them to stop saving seats.@:-)
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: AS Gold, DL, WN
Looking at some of the replies here, I think that this thread should be titled, "Lack of common passenger courtesy is becoming an epidemic." The OP is only addressing a symptom of the epidemic. Why stop at seat saving? How about line skippers, pre-board "disability" liars, indifferent GA's unable or afraid to enforce rules, and any COS pax who threatens a lawsuit anytime they are questioned or ask to pay for an additional seat (nevermind that they intrude on my personal seat space)? Are we to expect WN to become the courtesy cops?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by starflyer
Translation: When someone tells you they're saving a seat, ignore them rather than telling them to stop saving seats.@:-)
Man, if you guys acted as tough as you talk on FlyerTalk, hockey games would break out on every WN flight EVER.

Originally Posted by USAF1
Looking at some of the replies here, I think that this thread should be titled, "Lack of common passenger courtesy is becoming an epidemic." The OP is only addressing a symptom of the epidemic. Why stop at seat saving? How about line skippers, pre-board "disability" liars, indifferent GA's unable or afraid to enforce rules, and any COS pax who threatens a lawsuit anytime they are questioned or ask to pay for an additional seat (nevermind that they intrude on my personal seat space)? Are we to expect WN to become the courtesy cops?
Well put. The world doesn't revolve around seat savers, and contrary to popular belief around here, the world doesn't revolve around A-Listers and those who pay a whole $10 for EBCI (I fall into the latter AL/EBCI category, not the former). I see a lot more rudeness/threatened rudeness coming from the "seat saving is bad" side on the WN boards than I've ever seen from actual seat savers on WN.

And just food for thought... what do you guys do at movie theaters? Do you climb over people who save seats? Call the usher or manager? Seriously.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:52 am

my spin

Here's what happens

Seat saver tries to save a few seats, and is nice, and non rude about it - and has an air of flexibility with the situation about them (i.e. will be flexibile if someone wants to sit there and just hope for the best for when the others board) -- - and encounters someone else nice wanting to sit there -- There is no problem.

Seat saver saves a ton of seats, is adamant about it, is rude about it - and encounters someone else demanding those seats, there is a problem.

This situation probably doesn't happen way too often.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by phlflying
here's what happens

seat saver tries to save a few seats, and is nice, and non rude about it - and has an air of flexibility with the situation about them (i.e. Will be flexibile if someone wants to sit there and just hope for the best for when the others board) -- - and encounters someone else nice wanting to sit there -- there is no problem.

Seat saver saves a ton of seats, is adamant about it, is rude about it - and encounters someone else demanding those seats, there is a problem.

This situation probably doesn't happen way too often.
Thank you!

Non - Issue.@:-)

You guys are making it look like WN has these huge problems with seat savers. As someone who has flow at least 200 WN flights (literally) who has never seen as much as a dirty look regarding seat saving, I am convinced the idea of this makes people more mad than any actual affect it has ever had on their flying experience.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You guys are making it look like WN has these huge problems with seat savers. As someone who has flow at least 200 WN flights (literally) who has never seen as much as a dirty look regarding seat saving, I am convinced the idea of this makes people more mad than any actual affect it has ever had on their flying experience.
I haven't seen any disputes about saved seats in well over 1000 flights. However these were almost all short-haul flights.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I haven't seen any disputes about saved seats in well over 1000 flights. However these were almost all short-haul flights.
Were any of those the best seats on the plane? And for a guy boarding at 110+?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Were any of those the best seats on the plane? And for a guy boarding at 110+?
I always sit just past the exit row, even if it's empty when I get there. So I would have automatically seen any exit row seat-saving trouble. I've never seen it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.