Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Southwest credit card offer - up to 26 RR Credits + $500 in vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Southwest credit card offer - up to 26 RR Credits + $500 in vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:43 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by jdawg
...which do you all think is better 32 credits or 16 credits + $500 in giftcards (with $5000 / 3 months)?
The 16 RR credits + $500 is the better, hands down, IMO. That's one free RT, plus up to as many as four more RTs, now that $52 is the new $39 on Ding. And on the latter four, you'll earn eight more RR credits. So, that can be "5 1/2" free RTs. Versus two. And I'm assuming that the gift cards don't expire. I don't think it's difficult to put $5,000 through a credit card in three months, especially if one is traveling.

To divemistress's comment, I think balance transfer terms are always usurious, not just the Southwest Chase one's, and would only do it if it's necessary on its own merits (e.g., if I have to). Not with the main purpose of earning any program's partner's credits.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: WN, UA, Marriott, Hilton
How long?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get your card?
I signed up Friday and plan to travel in June. Would like to buy the tickets, then use gift card to book EBCI.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by progs2
Does anyone know how long it takes to get your card?
I signed up Friday and plan to travel in June. Would like to buy the tickets, then use gift card to book EBCI.
I didn't sign up for this card, but last year when I did, it only took 1 1/2 weeks to arrive. good luck!
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by necmergitur
With the value of an RR reward at $200-300, I'd say the 16 credits + $500 is better if you can spend $5000 in 3 months
Agreed, unless the extra 16 credits make a difference in qualifying for a Companion Pass or not. A year of CP can be >> $500 GC.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Gold, WN A-List, Hertz 5*
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but it seemed better than starting a duplicate. I just got this offer in my Rapid Report, and am considering it (for the 16 + $500, no interest in the balance transfer game). Does anyone have any experience with this offer or with Southwest Giftcards?

I've got one big purchase coming up that's around $5k, so assuming Chase doesn't low-ball the credit limit, I could potentially qualify for the $500 in gift cards right away. It's hard to tell from the wording of the offer whether I could qualify in one single purchase, though:

* You’ll receive a $100 southwestgiftcard once you have made $1,000 in purchases
* You’ll receive an additional $150 southwestgiftcard once you reach a total of $2,500 in purchases
* Then receive a $250 southwestgiftcard once you’ve made a total of $5,000 in purchases!
Also, I've never used a Southwest Giftcard before. Is it pretty easy to use part of the card value now, and save the rest for later? How about canceling an itinerary Would the funds go back to the card, or to ticketless travel funds in my account? Finally, are there any rules that would prevent me from giving one of these cards to someone else as a gift? It seems pretty obvious that a "gift" card can be given, but I'm not sure if they can be transferred to someone other than the original party issued to.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by EricJay
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but it seemed better than starting a duplicate. I just got this offer in my Rapid Report, and am considering it (for the 16 + $500, no interest in the balance transfer game). Does anyone have any experience with this offer or with Southwest Giftcards?
Just signed up for it in March, already spent the $5K, and already got the $500 in gift cards. Haven't even had the first bill cycle yet, but I assume the 16 credits will post then.

I've got one big purchase coming up that's around $5k, so assuming Chase doesn't low-ball the credit limit, I could potentially qualify for the $500 in gift cards right away. It's hard to tell from the wording of the offer whether I could qualify in one single purchase, though:
I did the the $5K over several purchases, so can't verify first-hand if one purchase will work, but I'm 99+% sure it will.

Also, I've never used a Southwest Giftcard before. Is it pretty easy to use part of the card value now, and save the rest for later? How about canceling an itinerary Would the funds go back to the card, or to ticketless travel funds in my account? Finally, are there any rules that would prevent me from giving one of these cards to someone else as a gift? It seems pretty obvious that a "gift" card can be given, but I'm not sure if they can be transferred to someone other than the original party issued to.
Card is easy to use. Just like any stored-value card: you can use partial value and save for later or give as a gift (my three gift cards - $100, $150, and $250 - even came in nice gift envelopes). If you cancel a flight, funds are stored as ticketless travel funds and are valid for a year (unless you book a refundable fare which I assume would go back to the card, but I've never booked a refundable fare...)

This is an amazing deal! I'm thinking about doing it again for the business card...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
here's another amazing deal, definitely targeted but it hit at least one customer got in on the $500 gift card promo. Yesterday I got a mailer for this card, in a big black envelope saying companion pass details inside.

I was worried it was a devaluation, and instead it was a great offer!! Earn 1 trip ($19200 in spending) within the next 60 days on this card, and get a 2nd roundtrip award for free. 16 more bonus credits when I reach 16.

It said 32 credits is a huge jump start towards CP or CP renewal

Keep your eyes open!!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Non Targeted Cr. Card Offers?

Have not seen any of these good "targeted" offers -- which I need to build toward CP. Is 16 credits the best Non Targeted offer for WN? should I wait to see if I get a Targeted Offer for more than 16 credits (even if I have to spend $ XXX, that is ok)??
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
$19,200 in 60 days is a little steep, isn't it?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by alggag
$19,200 in 60 days is a little steep, isn't it?

That's my opinion too. Not too many people spend $120k a year on their CC I would bet, which is roughly what this offer equals to over the 60 days you have to spend the $19.6k.

Rather than looking at it as 16 bonus RR credits, I look at it as rather than earning a ~1.7% return from my Chase SWA Visa, the bonus would instead allow me to earn ~3.4%. Not that big of a benefit to get me to try to spend ~$20k in 2 months, so I'm definitely passing on this offer.

BTW, I thought it was interesting that the envelope it came in mentioned the Companion Pass, but had no CP info inside it other than the offer which would supposedly help you get CP with "32 credits". But the offer came from Chase, not SWA (even though it was doctored up to look like a SWA envelope). And the little insert inside mentioned that you would not be able to transfer credits into SWA from other CCs after 6/30/10, yet it NEVER ONCE mentioned the name AMEX or AMEX MR or such. Not sure why Chase would be advertising the end of the AMEX relationship. It seems to me they shouldn't want to remind people to transfer any remaining AMEX pts over to SWA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.