Companion Pass: Leadtime to change name?

Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Companion Pass: Leadtime to change name?

Sorry for creating a new thread, but I don't think this relates to any previous CP topics.

So I just hit 100 today, and entered my companion pass name. Site says 10 business days, what have you guys seen? This is the initial one...

Now to change the name, I figured I would next day fed ex it into Southwest so I can get in a different name quickly. How fast do you think that would take? Site says 21 says, seems like a drag considering you only have this for 12 months. I bet they hold onto it for a few days on purpose.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
As soon as the site recognizes that you qualify for a CP, you can begin to make CP bookings. The card takes about 5-7 days to arrive, but is not really needed in most cases.

As far as changing the designated companion, it can be done over the phone and the change will take effect immediately. The wiki has the phone number to call. This will delete any tickets issued for the current companion and bookings for the new companion can be made immediately.

I just did this a few weeks ago and I was pleased with how easy it was. The new card came in the mail the following week but will more than likely never be needed and trashed in a few weeks when I switch back to my wife.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ronbo83

As far as changing the designated companion, it can be done over the phone and the change will take effect immediately. The wiki has the phone number to call. This will delete any tickets issued for the current companion and bookings for the new companion can be made immediately.

I just did this a few weeks ago and I was pleased with how easy it was. The new card came in the mail the following week but will more than likely never be needed and trashed in a few weeks when I switch back to my wife.

Hope this helps!
If true, this is welcome news, but it's not in accordance with the Companion Pass Rules and Regulations page at southwest.com:

"The Companion Pass is not transferable. However, the Member may change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass up to three (3) times within the 12-month validity period. Requests must be made in writing and accompanied by the current Companion Pass card, which will be canceled, to: Southwest Airlines, Rapid Rewards, P.O. Box 36657, Dallas, TX 75235. In addition, please include the new Companion's name, address, phone number, social security number, and date of birth. Allow 21 days for processing."

I changed Companions a couple months ago, in writing by mail, and it took about 15 days as I recall.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the resposnes. Why do you say the card though is not needed? I thought the companion HAS to show the card when boarding?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
If true, this is welcome news, but it's not in accordance with the Companion Pass Rules and Regulations page at southwest.com:

"The Companion Pass is not transferable. However, the Member may change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass up to three (3) times within the 12-month validity period. Requests must be made in writing and accompanied by the current Companion Pass card, which will be canceled, to: Southwest Airlines, Rapid Rewards, P.O. Box 36657, Dallas, TX 75235. In addition, please include the new Companion's name, address, phone number, social security number, and date of birth. Allow 21 days for processing."

I changed Companions a couple months ago, in writing by mail, and it took about 15 days as I recall.
It's true. Call Customer Relations, they can change the companion in minutes and if you have a flight (like the next day), they can notate in the PNR that the companion does not have a companion card because it is still in the process of being shipped. The card is shipped in 5-7 business days anyways.

Originally Posted by braddqq
Thanks all for the resposnes. Why do you say the card though is not needed? I thought the companion HAS to show the card when boarding?
I've never had anyone ask for my companion's card. And like I said above, just have Customer Relations notate in the PNR if you're traveling before you get the card.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Is it true you can change names over the phone? No more FedEx'ing a card back to them?

My companions have never needed to show a card in the 4 years I've had a CP. I don't think anyone at WN cares if they have it or not.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Good to know! Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: WN A List, CP, Hertz Gold, Mich Season Tkt, HH Diamond
My wife has had a companion pass for over a year.... she's never been asked for it...
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

From how loose they seem to be about this, what if I book a companion pass trip, and the primary traveler doesn't show up? And what if the companion boarded first, would they pull you off the plane if this primary never boards?

All sounds too strange to me.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:08 am

Have had CP for years, have never taken the card out of my desk. Name changes are done instantly on the phone - the stuff on the WN site is either routinely ignored by the phone operators or is grossly out of date. And don't try letting a CP take a flight without you on board.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:11 am

Now to change the name, I figured I would next day fed ex it into Southwest so I can get in a different name quickly. How fast do you think that would take? Site says 21 says, seems like a drag considering you only have this for 12 months. I bet they hold onto it for a few days on purpose.
Why do you suspect WN has some sort of grudge against you? Weird.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Well they caught me once selling a rapid reward pass on eBay. That wasn't fun losing all my credits and the reward. Learned that one the hard way. So yes, they now have it out for me.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:24 am

initial companion can be designated over the phone. any subsequent changes are done by mail, and i doubt anybody deliberately holds back on getting it done as timely as possible...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by wuds
initial companion can be designated over the phone. any subsequent changes are done by mail, and i doubt anybody deliberately holds back on getting it done as timely as possible...

read thread, then post.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
From how loose they seem to be about this, what if I book a companion pass trip, and the primary traveler doesn't show up? And what if the companion boarded first, would they pull you off the plane if this primary never boards?

All sounds too strange to me.
I believe the answer to your question is "yes".

In several other CP threads it has been noted multiple times that prior to closing the door, the Ops Agent has a means to verify the companion pass holder is on the plane if a companion has boarded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.