Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass and American Express Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Companion Pass and American Express Rewards

Hi all, I know not everyone has American Express (or even enough points to make this worth it), but for those who do -- it's too good to be true -- you can actually use your American Express points to transfer over enough credits to get you a companion pass??

So I have 56 credits accrued over the past 365, and I can't seem to ever make it over that. I noticed that it is counting my Amex transfers AND actually, Chase credit card transfers (I realize now it probably counts everything).

So all I need to do is transfer over 44 rapid rewards credits (yeah, it's a lot of points though), and I have a companion pass for a year!

Now, yes, it has to be worth it - you have to travel enough to make it worthy. But, I figure my wife and I pay $4,000+ to travel to various places on Southwest, so a savings of $2,000 (plus a few free roundtrips in there) is worth the 60,000 some odd points that this will cost (considering you can barely get a small flat panel for that many points).

So, maybe a good way to save some money if it's worth it to you, but it definitely pays to use miles!

Also, I hear Amex credits count towards the winter bonus promotion, but I think you can only use it three times...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Re: Companian Pass and American Express Rewards

Sorry I just saw that this is hardly news to anyone on this board.

But it is important to note that these credits should be transferred before the program expires.

I'll read the other posts before posting next time! :-)
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Yep, it's a great deal. And it's one reason I'm crying almost literal tears over WN dropping the MR program.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

So, in essence, there's no way to "buy" a companion pass anymore...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by braddqq
Sure, just spend $120,000 ($1200 x 100 RR credits) on your SWA Chase card vs. the $150,000 ($1500 x 100 RR credits) you would have had to put on your AmEx MR card. This means you can't accrue the credits and dump them all in at one time.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

I thought you can buy 1000 Amex points for $25? So couldnt you have gotten a companion pass for $3750?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:01 pm

Transfer Hilton HHonors points

Not the best use of the points, but if you have a bunch you're not using and want a CP...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I thought you can buy 1000 Amex points for $25? So couldnt you have gotten a companion pass for $3750?
That's right - under the current system, anyone with an Amex card that has MR can literally buy a WN Companion Pass by paying $3750 (plus tax) to Amex and then immediately transfer them to Rapid Rewards. Not a single flight on Southwest, nor a single purchase on Amex, is necessary. So, for people that currently don't have an Amex, it can be accomplished in just a few days by signing up for a new Amex - no need to wait for spend or flights to accrue.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
but don't forget, for your 100 RR credits you'll get 6 RR reward tickets too. The companion pass is possibly the best perk on Southwest, that is if you like to travel with your wife and/or best friend.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
That's right - under the current system, anyone with an Amex card that has MR can literally buy a WN Companion Pass by paying $3750 (plus tax) to Amex and then immediately transfer them to Rapid Rewards. Not a single flight on Southwest, nor a single purchase on Amex, is necessary. So, for people that currently don't have an Amex, it can be accomplished in just a few days by signing up for a new Amex - no need to wait for spend or flights to accrue.
That works out to $312 per month. To break even, you would need to fly one $310 ticket per month. To make the CP worthwhile, you would need to fly with your companion at least 2x per month. If you were buying your tickets, you would earn 48 RR credits, halfway to your own CP.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm surprised this wasn't in the terms and conditions... can you take a companion with you on a flight that you booked using a rapid rewards ticket???
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Yes you can.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

NSX, is a CP just way too good to be true? I have a feeling I will get it this year, but I know its going to be hard the next year considering you aren't earning credits. I better make good use of it!!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by irabk
That works out to $312 per month. To break even, you would need to fly one $310 ticket per month. To make the CP worthwhile, you would need to fly with your companion at least 2x per month. If you were buying your tickets, you would earn 48 RR credits, halfway to your own CP.
works out to MUCH LESS than $312/month.

6 round trip tickets anywhere they fly plus bring a companion or named coworker on these 6 plus any other flight for 13 months is a huge deal. Here I thought they were closing the Amex partnership just to prevent people from redeeming all 100 credits at once. Now it seems some folks haven't even spent a dime buying any goods on an amex card.

the 6 round trips, to the right person or business traveller, might just save them six $900 round trip airfares ($429+tax each way, last minute travel). So $4500 savings pax1, $4500 savings companion, and buy 1 get 1 airfare for the rest of the 13 months.

Maybe it's the drink coupon books? WN has to print and give away 6 coupon books to each CP earner every year, that has to add up...
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
works out to MUCH LESS than $312/month.

6 round trip tickets anywhere they fly plus bring a companion or named coworker on these 6 plus any other flight for 13 months is a huge deal. Here I thought they were closing the Amex partnership just to prevent people from redeeming all 100 credits at once. Now it seems some folks haven't even spent a dime buying any goods on an amex card.

the 6 round trips, to the right person or business traveller, might just save them six $900 round trip airfares ($429+tax each way, last minute travel). So $4500 savings pax1, $4500 savings companion, and buy 1 get 1 airfare for the rest of the 13 months.

Maybe it's the drink coupon books? WN has to print and give away 6 coupon books to each CP earner every year, that has to add up...
expert7700, I think you may have misread my post. I was replying to :

Originally Posted by Steve M
The $3750 is to BUY AmEx points to convert. That is cash out of pocket. $3750 /12 = $312 per month. I understand the value of CP. We used it regularly for 13 months and saved over $3500. My point is that the breakeven is $312 per month.

And I think your analysis might have a flaw. You mention $900 R/T ($429+tax each way, last minute travel), but award availability might get in the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.