Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest dropping AmEx as Partner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Southwest dropping AmEx as Partner

"Effective July 1, 2010 American Express Membership Rewards® points will no longer be eligible for transfer into Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® credits. Please make any transfers prior to June 30, 2010."

Not sure if this has been posted or not but I guess southwest is dropping AmEx.... maybe Chase said please drop AmEx to them.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by paramount
"Effective July 1, 2010 American Express Membership Rewards® points will no longer be eligible for transfer into Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® credits. Please make any transfers prior to June 30, 2010."

Not sure if this has been posted or not but I guess southwest is dropping AmEx.... maybe Chase said please drop AmEx to them.
Maybe Delta is draining AMEX of available cash, none left for WN participation.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Kudos to Amex and Southwest for providing almost 6 months of advance notice.

This give us enough time to earn more Amex points and transfer them to Southwest for Companion Pass qualification.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:31 pm

I wonder if the timing of the AMEX partnership ending may coincide with the launch of RR 2.0.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckpeter
I wonder if the timing of the AMEX partnership ending may coincide with the launch of RR 2.0.
That is a very possible idea. But southwest doesnt have many partners anyways so I think it may be due to southwest upholding a high standard for their points.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SWA A-List, CP
This is a disaster!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
SPG?

I'm wondering if WN might be switching from MR to SPG. I've written several emails to CS suggesting that they switch to the best rewards program since they are the best airline.

Don't know if that might happen, but I'm hoping so.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:34 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
If I had to guess I would say this is due to Chase, they cajoled/made/forced CO and UA to basically make other credit cards unattractive (see SPG to CO and UA transfers), and now WN is going the same way, I don't think it's a coincidence that those are the three largest airline partners Chase has.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: SWA Companion Pass, SWA A-list+, National Executive, Hilton Diamond
Wow, this sucks.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles
If I had to guess I would say this is due to Chase, they cajoled/made/forced CO and UA to basically make other credit cards unattractive (see SPG to CO and UA transfers), and now WN is going the same way, I don't think it's a coincidence that those are the three largest airline partners Chase has.
Now I don't know much about all these airlines and credit cards etc but it would almost seem that this is EXACTLY whats happening.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:57 pm

So wonder will Chase go up from $1000 (not long ago) to $1200 to $1500 now?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA 2 MM Platinum, DL Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire
This is just another reason why I am jettisoning SWA as a preferred carrier. First they introduce "Freedom Awards". Then, they do this. I am perfectly happy flying CO from IAH on an ERJ to BHM earning my elite qualifying miles and getting access to the President's Club with my Amex. SWA has really lost the plot.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bryanw20
So wonder will Chase go up from $1000 (not long ago) to $1200 to $1500 now?
The exchange rate will have to change when the mileage currency changes with RR 2.0. I doubt Chase will miss the opportunity to devalue credit card earnings.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
The exchange rate will have to change when the mileage currency changes with RR 2.0. I doubt Chase will miss the opportunity to devalue credit card earnings.
I hate it... I had high hopes of Southwest always being the best.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:08 am

The Southwest Chase card has always been better then AMEX for earning an award....$1200/credit (plus double $$ for Southwest and partners like Hilton, Avis, etc) vs. $1500/credit for AMEX. So it takes $19,200 in spend to earn an award ticket w/ the Chase card vs $24,000 w/ AMEX. That's a much better deal than AMEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.