How to play RR 2.0 Speculation

Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, SWA A-List, CP
How to play RR 2.0 Speculation

With the rumored changes next year to RR, I'm wondering what the best course of action is for my situation. In addition to RR Visa, I usually have several hundred thousand AMEX points that convert easily to RR. This is nice when I need a free ticket or need to top-off RR at the end of the year if I am short for CP.

Does anyone think it is advisable to make a preemptive strike and load up RR credits now in anticipation that WHATEVER comes later will likely not be as good? Do we think there will be advance warning of the changes, leaving an opportunity to make that call later?

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Simply from a logistics point of view, it will be impossible for WN to implement a new program without advance warning.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
There is supposed to be 6 months' warning before changes to the RR program, as I recall.

EDITED: I was remembering this from a couple years ago, but it's been changed, which I only vaguely recalled. The new rule is #40 here:

http://www.southwest.com/rapid_rewar..._and_regs.html

"Southwest Airlines reserves the right to amend, suspend, or terminate this program at any time, with 30 days' notice."

So having a pile of AMEX or Diners points waiting in the wings, ready to dump into RR if advisable, may not be a bad strategy. I presume you'll get the 30 days to grab a pile of RR credits. Better check in here every week or so, because when the change comes someone will post it here.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Dec 21, 2009 at 6:33 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.