FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Official Virgin America and jetBlue fare sale thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1018294-official-virgin-america-jetblue-fare-sale-thread.html)

nsx Nov 18, 2009 8:09 am

Official Virgin America and jetBlue fare sale thread

Although I have yet to fly Virgin America (VX), I have benefited many times from Southwest's matching of VX sale fares. VX tends to offer its sale fares with 1-day to 3-day advance purchase. Southwest tends to match these fares on the same routes, with no public notice whatsoever. That's where this thread comes in.

From now on, when VX starts a good sale, I'd like someone to post its terms here. Then we can be on the alert for Southwest's match. We can also be aware of the precise conditions of the sale and when it will end.

During recent VX sales, Southwest exactly matched the VX fare from SFO to LAX and added $10 to the VX fare for OAK to LAX. I didn't check SFO to LAS, but the recent $50 OAK to LAS fare was likely a near-match to a $40 VX fare out of SFO.

Last night VX's $44 sale ended, and now they have a $39 fare bookable today only. The pertinent terms are:
1-day advance purchase. Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable. Tickets must be purchased by 11:59pm PST 11.18.09. Travel must occur between 11.19.09 and 02.10.10. Blackout dates are 11.25.09, 11.28.09 to 11.30.09, 12.17.09, 12.18.09, 12.23.09, 12.24.09, 12.26.09, 12.30.09, and 01.03.10.

Fares do not include Passenger Facility Charges of up to $9 each way, September 11th Security Fees of up to $5 each way and a Federal Segment Tax of $3.60 per domestic segment.
Customer-unfriendly terms are:
Changes or cancellations can be made for a $50 fee if changes are made on Virgin America’s website (www.virginamerica.com) or a $75 fee through all other channels, including the call center and at the airport, plus any increase in fare, if applicable. Guests who no-show without a change or cancel prior to the scheduled departure time will forfeit the amount of this fare. In addition, any future flights booked in the same reservation will also be canceled and the fare will be forfeited. Tickets purchased from Virgin America through our reservation call center will cost an additional $15 per guest per itinerary. Any added cost associated with purchasing tickets from Virgin America through our reservation call center will be non-refundable.

Virgin America will accept one (1) piece of checked baggage up to 70 pounds for $20 for each ticketed guest. The fee per guest for each additional checked bag up to 50 pounds from the second (2) to the tenth (10) is $20.
This is why Virgin offers short-notice fares: Your $39 ticket is effectively completely non-refundable and non-changeable. Booking farther ahead you would be foolish not to choose Southwest. But that's a subject for another thread. This thread is about giving you a heads-up on VX sales, so you can look for Southwest to match.

On this particular sale, Southwest has not matched yet. I expect to see a match within a few hours. If you buy tickets in a market served by VX, I suggest that you Subscribe to This Thread (under Thread Tools near the upper right).

nsx Nov 19, 2009 7:05 am

Southwest matched VX's sale yesterday. Today VX has repeated the same sale prices, again with 1 day advance purchase.
Travel must occur between 11.23.09 and 12.3.09. Tickets must be purchased by 12.2.09.
Look for Southwest to match later this morning.

nsx Dec 2, 2009 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 12846036)
Tickets must be purchased by 12.2.09.

Fares may go up tonight. Book now just in case.

sanFF Dec 2, 2009 4:49 pm

They were $29 in October

It was worth a credit run at double credit at that time:)

nsx Dec 3, 2009 12:33 pm

More $39 fares

This time the sale fares go all the way into May. Southwest is doing the usual semi-match ($10 more) for OAK vs. SFO. With oil at $80, I think I'll buy some.
All Main Cabin fares are one-way and require a 3-day advance purchase. Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable. Tickets must be purchased by 11:59pm 12.08.09. Travel must occur between 12.03.09 and 05.23.10. Blackout dates are 12.18.09, 12.19.09, 12.26.09, 12.27.09, 01.01.10, 01.03.10, 02.12.10, 02.15.10.

eponymous_coward Dec 3, 2009 11:14 pm

One thing to note is that WN doesn't fly SEA-LAX as a nonstop, VX does. That might be a good reason to be "foolish". ;)

nsx Dec 16, 2009 9:32 am

Southwest appears not to be matching VX sale fares this week. Be sure to check the VX website if you have a short-notice trip that you are sure you will not cancel or change.

Firewind Dec 17, 2009 2:15 am

Is this a "fare war"?

What constitutes a "fare war"? We hear the term tossed around a lot, and I thought I knew (enough about) what it means. What is the consensus definition? I think most people on FlyerTalk must be of the opinion by now that it's overused by the (usually paid) media.

Is it one distinctively deep sale, that perhaps gets extended for days or a week or so? Can it be a protracted competition like this one? Can it extend to really protracted repeated-sale competition such as between Southwest and United intra-California and at DEN, or Southwest and USAir at PHL, or the one at PVD that Southwest won at PVD? Is an aspect that one carrier wins, and watchers look back and say, "That was one".

As I've said elsewhere, I'm glad to see Southwest receiving the Virgin, or JetBlue or AirTran Effects, and I think they're increasingly going to characterize Southwest's more important competition. Perhaps a little early to suggest that this thread include the other two airlines, as nsx, who also co-captains the JetBlue board is much more aware of that dynamic than most of us, and probably would have done so. I'm suggesting that either this thread will evolve, or parallel ones will sprout up.

nsx Mar 4, 2010 11:53 pm

Today I saw an all-time crazy pricing pattern on VX, fully matched by Southwest. LAX-SFO is $52 for Friday (tomorrow), $52 for Saturday, $129 for Sunday and Monday, $52 for Tuesday, $76 for Wednesday, $114 for Thursday, and $57 for Friday. Completely bizarre.

Southwest matched this, also offering the $52 fare on Monday. OAK was full fare only. I thought Southwest had gone insane, then I realized that they were merely copying a wacky competitor.

formeraa Mar 5, 2010 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 13515196)
Today I saw an all-time crazy pricing pattern on VX, fully matched by Southwest. LAX-SFO is $52 for Friday (tomorrow), $52 for Saturday, $129 for Sunday and Monday, $52 for Tuesday, $76 for Wednesday, $114 for Thursday, and $57 for Friday. Completely bizarre.

Southwest matched this, also offering the $52 fare on Monday. OAK was full fare only. I thought Southwest had gone insane, then I realized that they were merely copying a wacky competitor.

Actually, nsx, if you think about it, it may be very logical. I'll bet that it depends on the number of available seats each day. Probably not that much different that most of WN's DING fares, if you wrote out the lowest fares each day!

nsx Aug 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Today and tomorrow (probably only until about 9 PM Pacific Time) you can buy intra-California and LAS for $44. Travel on T W Th or Sa through mid-November. One week advance purchase.

Bay Area to LAS is an especially good deal.

Southwest has not publicized this VX fare match.

nsx Aug 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Incidentally, this is the first good sale that includes Th-Tu for Labor Day weekend.

Firewind Oct 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Email from TravelZoo:

SUBJ: NEWSFLASH: Virgin Cuts West Coast Fares from Boston to $99-$129

From the Travelzoo Newsdesk:

BOSTON--OCTOBER 26, 2010-- Virgin America just cut West
Coast fares from Boston to $99-$129 each way as part of its
latest sale. These are some of the lowest fares we've seen
on these routes in months.

Sample each-way fares:
- Los Angeles ... $99
- San Francisco ... $119
- Las Vegas ... $129
- San Diego ... $129

Travel is valid Nov. 1 - Feb. 15.

The sale ends 11:59 p.m. PT Nov. 1. The lowest fares are
available for travel Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Other days of
the week are slightly more.

[...]
http://www.travelzoo.com/newsflash/76597653-909740/

ftnoob Jul 7, 2011 11:49 am

jetBlue one day sale today

"Fares from $44," but they do still have $29 fares, such as LGB-LAS. I haven't checked for WN matching today, but typically by mid-day I see matches in some markets.

nsx Jul 7, 2011 12:44 pm

VX has a 7-hour $44 sale today, probably matching Ding.