Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest announces intent to start service at Panama City, Florida

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP

On the Media Day webcast, Gary Kelly just announced that WN will start service at PFN in May 2010.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:14 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
May 2010 for service start, bummer they'll miss the Spring Break season.

edited to add: Start with 2 flights daily to 4 WN destinations (8 total). BNA and BWI already mentioned, I would guess HOU and MDW on top of that.

St. Joe Company is taking on the financial risk for the first three years of WN's operations.

More details of the agreement with St. Joe in this 8-K filing. WN is not allowed to begin new service to any airport within 80 miles during the three year agreement and service to an airport 80-120 miles away would require renegotiation of the agreement. St. Joe can opt out if their payment to WN exceeds $14 million in year one or $12 million in year two. If St. Joe makes payments to WN and the flights later become profitable, they will be reimbursed for the earlier payments by WN.

Last edited by Beckles; Oct 21, 2009 at 12:37 pm
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Never been to that part of the state. Nice to have another option. Is it possible that TPA or FLL might be one of the cities for intra-state travel/repositioning?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
I'm going to guess HOU and either MCO or TPA. MDW would actually be a really solid idea, too, to shore up flights to the interior West.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Included in the announcement today was intent to grow operations at STL by adding new non-stop service in six markets and additional flights in two others. Details just posted by Bill Owen on blogsouthwest
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP
Gary Kelly said PFN service is forecasted to work with 8 roundtrips with only 1% conversion of automobile traffic to air traffic.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Gary Kelly said PFN service is forecasted to work with 8 roundtrips with only 1% conversion of automobile traffic to air traffic.
That's not enough the O/D daily passengers traffic. When WN will have enough more profitability routes out of PFN. I think in the future if WN will have to bring more capacity growth. Let's see how it going in PFN and before PNS will be next.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Ugh....how about Charlotte? Stop ignoring the Southeast, WN.

And no, GSP would not be a viable alternative to CLT.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
As a UCF student who calls Panama City home when not in Orlando, I find this to be great news. Now I am not a fan of Southwest by any measure, but I am happy to see some movement into the market. Right now PFN just has DL/NW CRJs to Memphis and Atlanta, and lets face it fares are not exactly the lowest in the panhandle due to the lack of competition. In other words...hooray for competition! ^

The local paper claims that two of the cities will be BWI and BNA (http://www.newsherald.com/articles/b...st-county.html), but I could have sworn I read elsewhere that the 8 flights would be two 4 different cities. Either way this is interesting and helps validate the new airport and hopefully can silence some of the people who claimed that SW would never fly to the new facility that opens in May '10...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Stop ignoring the Southeast, WN.
^

I'm still waiting for HOU - ATL flights to show up in WN's timetable...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr

There's no argument that the GSP metro area in and of itself is not the size of CLT's, but that doesn't tell the whole tale. GSP is, though, well-positioned in between ATL and CLT and can draw from a very large region including Western N. Carolina, NE Georgia and the Midlands of SC besides those two population centers.

Not to mention the fact that if you factor back in the 60% of the GSP market that doesn't use GSP currently due to high airfares (which the entry of WN, FL, etc would correct to the majority of destinations), you'd have around 3 million pax a year, just in this market alone. I think GSP is a quite viable (and much more passenger-friendly) alternative to ATL or CLT for WN.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Nope...Not yet. You probability will wait to see in the future. You will find out for another announcement more new cities for next year in 2010.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by gsupstate
Not to mention the fact that if you factor back in the 60% of the GSP market that doesn't use GSP currently due to high airfares (which the entry of WN, FL, etc would correct to the majority of destinations), you'd have around 3 million pax a year, just in this market alone. I think GSP is a quite viable (and much more passenger-friendly) alternative to ATL or CLT for WN.
This is all wonderful, but if WN is concentrating on business travelers (which is evident from their recent entries into LGA, BOS, MSP etc), why on earth would someone fly to GSP and then drive two hours to Charlotte? Sure, it works for the those who work for Michelin or BMW, but look at the corporate hq's in Charlotte: B of A, Wells Fargo/Wachovia, Goodrich, Loews (yeah, yeah, they're not technically in Charlotte), and so on.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:30 pm

I am waiting for the special SWA perks ya get if you now live or buy into a St. Joe community. A-List for the family? One companion pass per household? Complimentary Early Bird, etc.

((I still miss the early morning coffee, OJ, and doughnuts that SWA had at the Austin airport.))
Old Oct 21, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by chuckworth
Included in the announcement today was intent to grow operations at STL by adding new non-stop service in six markets and additional flights in two others. Details just posted by Bill Owen on blogsouthwest
That makes sense given AA's big cutback in STL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.