Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Why are Car Rentals in Orlando so Expensive?

Why are Car Rentals in Orlando so Expensive?

Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Not only Presidents Day national holiday, it's also the weekend that the Daytona 500 is being held (many race fans fly in and out of MCO, and drive up to Daytona Beach)).
Absolutely correct! Please refer to my previous post (#4) from last year. It is a trifecta of Presidents' Day, Speed Weeks at Daytona and the beginning of Spring Break/high season for some. My suggestion would be to make the best deal you can, now!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I just rented a midsize at MCO for 1/12/10 to 1/17/10 through Hotwire and got Hertz.

Car daily rate: $15.95
Rental days: 5
Subtotal: $79.75
Tax recovery charges and fees: $42.31
Total price: $122.06

Immediately went to WN's website and entered all the same info, under the Hertz link for "special offers"(includes 1.5 RR credits).

Got this:

Base Rate $204.74
Drop Charge $0.00
Mileage Charge Unlimited
Tax (6.50%) $15.61
PRIVILEGE FEE IF PICKUP IS WITHIN 48 HOURS OF FLIG $19.55
Rental Surcharge $12.45
Facility Fee $2.30
ENERGY SURCHARGE $1.03
Approximate Total $255.68

By the way, what on earth is a "privilege fee if pickup is within 48 hours of flight"?

And if I'd booked yesterday, it would have been $2 a day less on Hotwire, but I got distracted and forgot.

You will note that 1/18 is a holiday Monday, which I imagine should be affecting rentals that weekend.

So MCO car rentals are not that expensive, it seems to me. Not sure why I bother any more with anything but Hotwire/Priceline.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jan 5, 2010 at 7:54 pm
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
So MCO car rentals are not that expensive, it seems to me. Not sure why I bother any more with anything but Hotwire/Priceline.
Because I might get Alamo.. and considering how cold it is in Atlanta I am certain that "Hexx" has NOT frozen over and I swore that until it did I would NEVER rent from them after a horrid experience several years ago. (the ONLY travel related company I have EVER said that about)

I just got a National car for $98 all inclusive for five days starting tomorrow. Using a combo of the Last Minute Specials and $20 off a weekend rental. Full Size.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
It's easy to find cheap cars...I rented for USD 18 a day, but depends of the season...if it's christmas/new year holliday, the prices go up!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
Because I might get Alamo.. and considering how cold it is in Atlanta I am certain that "Hexx" has NOT frozen over and I swore that until it did I would NEVER rent from them after a horrid experience several years ago. (the ONLY travel related company I have EVER said that about)

I just got a National car for $98 all inclusive for five days starting tomorrow. Using a combo of the Last Minute Specials and $20 off a weekend rental. Full Size.
I see this old thread has been revived. I found this post funny because Alamo and National are really the same company. Same cars, same back office systems and I assume many of their employees change shirts depending on which counter they're working that day.

As far as Florida car rentals go, it's still a strange game. I rented from FLL this week, and the rates have actually been pretty expensive. Well over $30/day for a compact, before all the crazy taxes. But Alamo had a sale a couple a couple days out (the sale vanished quickly) reducing the compact price to $19/day, and then I used a coupon. But I did have to settle for a worse car than I would have wanted. Heck, this compact doesn't even have power door looks -- every pax needs to lock their own door. I feel like I'm back in the '70s! A midsize was like $15/day more, so I passed. No cheapo rates available on priceline this week for my rental.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.