Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel for Mardi Gras

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Best hotel for Mardi Gras

Decided to tick off something from my bucket list. Do Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Looking at three nights from Feb. 21-24 (flight is at 7:20 p.m., sorry flights out on Ash Wednesday were too $$$ so I'll miss the midnight shutdown).

My favorite Nola hotel, Royal Sonesta, is all booked up. There aren't any Starwood hotels in the Quarter other than the W and the reviews are decidedly mixed. I can also do a IChotel or Hilton. Can also be independent or a different chain. Hotel Montelone is available and price is right (I'd like to stop at $300 a night plus taxes and fees unless I'm getting a room with a view or a balcony then I'd pay more).

I'd like to lock up my room this week. Hotels are pretty much requiring prepayment and no cancellation so I'd like to do this right. I've stayed at the Chateau Le Moyne, LaProvincial, Omni and Bourbon Orleans in the past. Bourbon Orleans was back in 98 and wasn't impressed. Omni had a tiny room but was a nice experience. I'm intrigued by the Montelone.

What do you think is my best option and is there something I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

PS If you can figure out how I can book the Royal Sonesta, I'd be eternally grateful and send you some Mardi Gras beads. I'd be willing to book the night of Feb. 24 if it would get me a great deal at the Sonesta or another property. (some hotels have four-night minimums)

Last edited by zipadee; Jan 18, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Try non Bourbon St hotel

If I were you I would stay at the Sheraton located in the 500 block of Canal just about 3 blocks from Bourbon St. That way you can have all the Bourbon St Mardi Gras you can stand and then only a short walk away is peace and quiet. I agree that you don't want to stay at W French Qtr as I also was not impressed with my stay there.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
You can hear every damn thing in the Sheraton hallways thru your door! I would stay in either W again before that Sheraton! And you wait for elevators FOREVER when it's crowded.

I have always liked the Moteleone and Omni Royal Orleans and stayed at both 3 times each (98-2003) before marrying into family who live in N.O. Both are quaint and the rooms are all varied, but they were always clean and quiet for me.

I have never stayed in any of the 4 during MG, however.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
I lived in Baton Rouge for two years, and last year, we stayed at the Sheraton on Canal St. that controller1 mentioned. It was full, to be sure, but I had no problem getting to sleep (for the record, though, I hardly ever have that problem!) and the rooms and service were just fine.

You're actually not missing out on too much leaving on Tuesday evening - the last parade gets done in the mid-afternoon and then that's really it. Most of the locals head out then, and believe me, if you've been doing parades and such for three days straight, you'll be pretty exhausted. Also, judging from past experience, Bourbon St. that night is going to be insane, and not in a good way. We tried to go out there on Monday night last year and it was PACKED, lots of fights, people flinging beads (and other things) off balconies, etc. I can only imagine that Tuesday is more than that. It's really fun during the day but (IMHO) crosses the line after dark, and I'm not one to be fazed by big cities.

I would just watch your timing on Tuesday because most of the streets will be shut down/rerouted until the last parade is over - I assume you're taking a taxi to/from the airport rather than renting a car (which is seldom a good idea in NOLA and definitely not this weekend!)

Have a great time and please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about the city or Mardi Gras - I love both so and miss them terribly!

P.S. The Royal Sonesta is my (and my family's) favorite French Quarter hotel, too!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by zipadee
Decided to tick off something from my bucket list. Do Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Looking at three nights from Feb. 21-24 (flight is at 7:20 p.m., sorry flights out on Ash Wednesday were too $$$ so I'll miss the midnight shutdown).
I enjoy witnessing the shutdown. But, it's not something you need to see, particularly not for your first Mardi Gras. However, do be sure to whip out at least a mask, if not a full costume on Mardi Gras day.

(Sorry, I don't have any hotel suggestions. I usually stay with friends in New Orleans, Louisiana. Even then, I'm not particular about hotels (I'm happy with a clean bed and bathroom) and, therefore, am not the best person to ask about hotel recommendations. )
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I like the idea of staying at one of the Canal Street properties, or even a property a little further uptown, in the CBD or the Warehouse District. That way you'll be walking distance to the Quarter and to the parades on St. Charles, yet not directly in the madness.

Note that I think it's appropriate to recognize and appreciate that there really are two Mardi Gras: the locals' Mardi Gras and the tourists' Mardi Gras. I'm not knowledgeable enough to fully apreciate the locals' version, but you can get a sense of it by walking up and down St. Charles during the parades. You'll see that for locals, Mardi Gras very much is a family event. Then wander into the Quarter, and you'll see that Mardi Gras is all about frat boys getting fall-down drunk. Too many tourists experience Mardi Gras as the latter without taking the time to investigate and appreciate the former. (Of course that's true of New Orleans in general: too many tourists think that the Quarter is New Orleans and that New Orleans is the Quarter, and completely miss out on the best of what the city has to offer.)
Old Jan 24, 2009, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.

Looks like I may get the Sonesta after all. Since that's where I really wanted to stay, I think I'm going to go with that even though it will be in the middle of the New Orleans madness. I plan to call back Monday.

We aren't renting a car. But we are going to have south Louisiana friends take us to and from the hotel so hopefully they'll be able to negotiate the trip to the airport on Mardi Gras. One of the friends is a New Orleans native so hoping he can help us enjoy part of the weekend from that viewpoint.

I have masks from previous trips to Nola but how on earth do you even get a costume?

Oh and any recommendations for eating? K-Paul's is a definite for us. I would like an opentable.com suggestion cause have a coupon to use. What about Arnaud's v Galatore's v GW Fins?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days

I have masks from previous trips to Nola but how on earth do you even get a costume?

Oh and any recommendations for eating? K-Paul's is a definite for us. I would like an opentable.com suggestion cause have a coupon to use. What about Arnaud's v Galatore's v GW Fins?
As far as costumes = anything goes. You may be amazed at the unusual pieces and combinations of clothing items you might find in your own closet (or ask around!) The stranger, the better. A wig goes a LONG way into helping you stand out/get into the spirit!

However, DO NOT COMPROMISE ON YOUR FOOTWEAR. If you want to have (and keep!) a decent position to see the parades, you'll be standing for multiple hours for several days on end.

As far as restaurants go - the only one of the three you've mentioned that I've been to is Galatoire's, and I know this might be sacrilege, but I was not overwhelmed. It wasn't at all bad, but I was really expecting a lot more for the price and the hype. Commander's Palace is fantastic, though that's a little bit further away from the Quarter. Also, there's a place called Red Fish Grill (part of the Brennan empire) that's on Bourbon St. that is more casual, but very good and a fun atmosphere. There is always a great variety of local fish, and the cocktails and double chocolate bread pudding, in particular, are also amazing! They're on opentable.com.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:32 pm

I have eaten at all of these except MiLa and Herbsaint (but I have eaten at his Cochon). All are on OpenTable and all are very well worth the experience.

And, I would eat at any of them before I would ever set foot in K-Paul's.

> Cafe Giovanni
> GW Fins
> Herbsaint
> Lüke
> Ralph's on the Park
> Red Fish Grill
> Restaurant August
> MiLa
> Lilette
> Stella
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by mwg25
As far as restaurants go - the only one of the three you've mentioned that I've been to is Galatoire's, and I know this might be sacrilege, but I was not overwhelmed.
It might be sacrilege, but this wouldn't be the first time I've come across that sentiment.

Originally Posted by DallasBill
I have eaten at all of these ...
Definite ^ on Lüke!!! Good stuff. I'd also recommend Feelings Cafe for a unique (and really good) dining experience.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:07 pm

BTW, Luke does a wonderful Sunday brunch that is completely diff't from the nightly menu. So, go twice...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
I'd either stay here: http://www.maisondupuy.com
or the Omni Royal Orleans

Oh yeah, and if you can't abide huge crowds (I mean HUGE), bucket list or no, stay away. We did Mardi Gras in the late '80s and it was madness.

I think there must now be too many people on the planet. Luckily I got a lot of bucket list checks long ago. To go to the US Open, Kentucky Derby, Super Bowl etc. etc. now, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. Likely an age thing.

Last edited by bbkenney; Jan 27, 2009 at 7:25 pm
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:21 am

As stated earlier, SENSIBLE SHOES are essential. When our neighbor told us about wearing open toed shoes her first trip into the quarter we shivered then laughed at her.

Since you insist on a hotel in the middle of the madness, then perhaps you are interested in the Flashing that the other visitors partake in. If so, I suggest covering up your 'naughty bits' with something funny - stuffed animals, drinking cups, Obama masks, whatever - then cover up with a housecoat, muu-muu, lab jacket or something that can be flashed open to reveal your funny stuff for a laugh, some beads or whatever.

Have fun, don't urinate in public, don't offend a policeman, and you will stay out of OPP (Orleans Parish Prison).
Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by bbkenney
I'd either stay here: http://www.maisondupuy.com
or the Omni Royal Orleans

Oh yeah, and if you can't abide huge crowds (I mean HUGE), bucket list or no, stay away. We did Mardi Gras in the late '80s and it was madness.

I think there must now be too many people on the planet. Luckily I got a lot of bucket list checks long ago. To go to the US Open, Kentucky Derby, Super Bowl etc. etc. now, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. Likely an age thing.
MG post-Katrina is nothing like pre-Katrina.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by DallasBill
MG post-Katrina is nothing like pre-Katrina.
When were you last there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.