Half-Day Rate at Miami Airport Hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Half-Day Rate at Miami Airport Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Unhappy Half-Day Rate at Miami Airport Hotel?

Will be using award ticket to travel SAN-LAX-MIA-PTY on Mar. 16-17. Problem is I arrive at MIA at 5:00 a.m. Mar. 17 and do not depart for PTY until 5:00 p.m. same day. Problem: what to do with 12 hours in Miami? Where can I find a reasonably priced hotel that offers a half-day rate in the airport area? I've checked a few airport properties and either find unreasonably priced half-day rates (under $100) or no half day rate at all. I know the area near the airport and it is full of "by the hour" hotels that are not intended for the distressed traveler - that's really not what I'm looking for if you know what I mean. I could go to AC, but don't think I could survive 12 hours in that environment. Any suggestions from travelers who have been in a similar situation? Muchas gracias! PS Checked with Miami Airport Hotel within terminal and could only get full day rate of over $200 with no discounts offered.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by maltasr
Will be using award ticket to travel SAN-LAX-MIA-PTY on Mar. 16-17. Problem is I arrive at MIA at 5:00 a.m. Mar. 17 and do not depart for PTY until 5:00 p.m. same day. Problem: what to do with 12 hours in Miami? Where can I find a reasonably priced hotel that offers a half-day rate in the airport area? I've checked a few airport properties and either find unreasonably priced half-day rates (under $100) or no half day rate at all. I know the area near the airport and it is full of "by the hour" hotels that are not intended for the distressed traveler - that's really not what I'm looking for if you know what I mean. I could go to AC, but don't think I could survive 12 hours in that environment. Any suggestions from travelers who have been in a similar situation? Muchas gracias! PS Checked with Miami Airport Hotel within terminal and could only get full day rate of over $200 with no discounts offered.
I did this recently on my way to AUA. I rented a car (about $50) from Avis and drove into Miami. We had lunch at Miami Beach, walked around and took a drive up the coast. Use TripAdvisor and look for restaurants in the area for some good ideas.

It is amazing how quickly you can burn 12 hours....
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:46 am
Suspended

. I know the area near the airport and it is full of "by the hour" hotels that are not intended for the distressed traveler - that's really not what I'm looking for if you know what I mean. .
Really?

mike
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Try the Wyndham by the airport was about $70 in November. Its a very short van ride away from the airport.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
I did this recently on my way to AUA. I rented a car (about $50) from Avis and drove into Miami. We had lunch at Miami Beach, walked around and took a drive up the coast. Use TripAdvisor and look for restaurants in the area for some good ideas.

It is amazing how quickly you can burn 12 hours....
+1 ^ Except we took a taxi to South Beach and back which worked out cheaper than renting a car. Had a delightful lunch (in an iDine restaurant of course!), a nice walk along the beach and back to MIA for the next flight. Much better than staying near the airport and you can earn some miles too
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:38 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The hotel in MIA airport terminal is a dump -- despite costing USD 200. Worse than a Motel 6. Originating from SAN you should be in good shape for an excursion and south miami beach is good for visiting (and traffic is not a problem generally). If you decide to go up the coast, be aware that traffic on the highway back to the airport can be incredibly bad (worse than LA!) and it is easy to misjudge and miss a flight. Takes hours instead of minutes.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by aa767flyer
Try the Wyndham by the airport was about $70 in November. Its a very short van ride away from the airport.
Best rate $159 according to Wyndham website.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Bidding for Travel indicates the Doubletree Airport is going for around $65 on Priceline. A Priceline bid won't work for you , as it would have normal checkout times, but you could call them and ask about a day rate.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
How about renting a car, getting a nap at a cheap hotel away from the airport then spending the late morning/early afternoon touring the Miami area? Ought to be able to do that all for well less than what the Mia hotel wants just for the room.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Best rate $159 according to Wyndham website.
Overnight, or a day rate? Day rates are often not bookable online.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by britenbsas
... a nice walk along the beach and back to MIA for the next flight.
That may be longer than the OP wants to walk.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
priceline.com
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
priceline.com
Did you read this post in this thread:

Originally Posted by gemac
A Priceline bid won't work for you , as it would have normal checkout times, but you could call them and ask about a day rate.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Overnight, or a day rate? Day rates are often not bookable online.
Yes, you are right. For the Wyndham I called the hotel directly. I should have added to my post. I price shopped and did it day of arrival. I also found inexpensive rates at the Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Inn. I called the hotels directly.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by gemac
Did you read this post in this thread:

Odd, as long as the hotel isn't sold out, I've never been refused an early check in. A successful lowball priceline bid usually indicates abundant availability.

Mr. Hamilton or Mr. Jackson will almost certainly work if for some reason one is refused an early check in.

Or, if one needs the hotel from 0500 to 1700, one can bid the hotel for day D-1 and check in late + ask for a late check-out. I've done that too, causing a little confusion showing up at 4am (not intentionally, it was a great party ) after the log was closed out, but had no problems with my stay otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.