Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 hour layover in MIA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:34 pm
jaf
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
8 hour layover in MIA

What to do ?? (i'll be coming from DFW, going to europe)
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaf
What to do ?? (i'll be coming from DFW, going to europe)
get a rental car and drive to nearby beache. Or if you like, also visit nearby towns. You have enough time to go to Ft.Lauderdale and Palm Beach and then back.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Take a cab to Coral Gables and walk around the downtown area. Nice restaurants and shops, cab is $38 round trip, and takes about 15 mins each way.

Other option is downtown Miami or south Beach ($40-60 r/t).

Ride the Marriott or Hilton shuttles to the respective hotels and spend some time at the bar/restaurants.

Spend 3 hours at each Admirals' Club and 1 hour outside at La Carretera for dinner.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Mileage run
Old Dec 20, 2008, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

• Catch a movie; there's a cinema at a mall nearby (google it)
  • Go grab a Cuban meal at Versailles (google/Zagat it)
  • Do both of the above; each is within 10 minutes of the airport and easily cabbable [yeah, I know it's not a real word...]
Old Dec 20, 2008, 5:21 pm

Take a cab to South Beach or if you are into shopping the Miracle Mile in Coral Gables. There is nothing much to see in downtown Miami.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by hillrider
  • Catch a movie; there's a cinema at a mall nearby (google it)
  • Go grab a Cuban meal at Versailles (google/Zagat it)
  • Do both of the above; each is within 10 minutes of the airport and easily cabbable [yeah, I know it's not a real word...]

I will second this. A Cuban meal at Versailles is great.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 5:10 pm
In memoriam

In addition to the above - there's the zoo (a really good one) - Vizcaya (historic stately home) - really good contemporary design stores - lots of beaches - etc. Kind of depends what you like to do. I'd stay in Miami/Dade (traffic in SE Florida is bad ---> horrible and - with 8 hours - you don't want to spend most of your hours stuck in it). I would definitely rent a car (fastest and easiest way to get around). Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.