Choosing a rental car company at the airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)

I've spent some time pricing out a small SUV for an 11 day stay next summer. Although I have Emerald Exec status at National, and Hertz Gold, all of them seem to be lock-step at the same rate, so it appears to be a wash on price. So does anyone have an opinion on which would be better in terms of inventory or any other consideration?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:26 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
National, no question.

Hertz requires you to take a shuttle to get to the cars, National is in terminal. Emerald and Exec usually has a lot of cars and if you don't like what you see there is a second set of aisles across the terminal building.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Not that it's on your short-list, but stay away from Payless.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Awesome, thank you!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Well I have EA and Hertz.... HERTZ

Sorry but National at MCO has merged with "Alamo" and the Alamo model is spreading. The cars I get with Hertz there are consistently better!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:03 pm

A big thumbs down for Budget in Miami. Pickup from Miami Airport, I had reserved a convertible 'like mustang' I got a Beetle that did not fit any of our bags.

Fast forward a week and was due to pick up 2nd car from Miami downtown, same spec. I had to wait 2 hours and numerous calls to head office, etc to get a car borrowed from alamo by Budget as my reservation had been cancelled accidentally by Budget. lead to late checkout of hotel and delayed arrival in Key West for a 2night trip. 2 hours where the only words spoken in English revolved around 'The Queen called to sort this out for you' and 'Prince Charles is gay' Nice
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK, UA1K
I would avoid Hertz. Hertz is usually my first choice, but the shuttle (Hertz) vs in terminal (National) makes National the easy choice for me in Orlando.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by EWR2AUS
I would avoid Hertz. Hertz is usually my first choice, but the shuttle (Hertz) vs in terminal (National) makes National the easy choice for me in Orlando.
Not sure that this was worth reviving a thread that was well over a year old, but for reference, Hertz is moving back to the airport very shortly. See the thread in the Hertz forum for more details.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djk7
Not sure that this was worth reviving a thread that was well over a year old, but for reference, Hertz is moving back to the airport very shortly. See the thread in the Hertz forum for more details.
Excellent news, thanks.

By the way, when returning a car to Hertz at its existing location, don't gas up at the station across the street. It charges an extra $2 per gallon.

A half-mile further away from the airport (north on Semoran), there's a 7-11 with normal prices.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Excellent news, thanks.

By the way, when returning a car to Hertz at its existing location, don't gas up at the station across the street. It charges an extra $2 per gallon.

A half-mile further away from the airport (north on Semoran), there's a 7-11 with normal prices.
Probably worth mentioning this thread again too:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...on-ripoff.html
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Since I posted on it originally..

My views on Hertz have taken a 180 degreee turn. Sadly, the great Customer Service I used to get turned into "horrid" due to cost cutting. The cars got old etc. Now I tend to rent with National where I can at least pick the least 'horrid' of the cars.
Old May 15, 2010, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Alamo may not have the 'highest' decked out models.. but consistently the least expensive. If having a car at a lower cost, but new, but not decked out.. and you want it to serve its purpose getting you from point A to B, then I've consistently have chosen Alamo as the best priced option (Hawaii, Vancouver, Toronto, Miami, and Orlando).
Old May 25, 2010, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Alamo may not have the 'highest' decked out models.. but consistently the least expensive. If having a car at a lower cost, but new, but not decked out.. and you want it to serve its purpose getting you from point A to B, then I've consistently have chosen Alamo as the best priced option (Hawaii, Vancouver, Toronto, Miami, and Orlando).
Figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread. Does anyone know how far Alamo is from Terminal A (American) in MCO? We would arrive in MCO, take towncar to Swan hotel and rent car from Alamo there (at the Dolphin because it's pretty much half the price as at the airport) and then return the car at MCO. So just wanted to see if it's gonna be a big hassle to rent a car instead of cabs everywhere (price is about the same).

Thanks
Old May 25, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gallardo
Figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread. Does anyone know how far Alamo is from Terminal A (American) in MCO?
From baggage claim, go down the elevator one level to street level where the rental car counters are located. Cross the street at the crosswalk and go directly into the parking structure. That is where you will find your Alamo (and other) cars.
Old May 25, 2010, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Orlando Vic
From baggage claim, go down the elevator one level to street level where the rental car counters are located. Cross the street at the crosswalk and go directly into the parking structure. That is where you will find your Alamo (and other) cars.
I could be wrong, but my recollection is that they discourage crossing to the garage at ground level, the preference is to go another level down to the underground tunnel, and then take the elevator back up to the desired level in the parking garage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.