Reload this Page >

Charleston, SC Restaurant Recommendations

Charleston, SC Restaurant Recommendations

Old Oct 2, 2010, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Thumbs up

A quick meal report from our two nights in CHS

Penninsula Grill - I give it 5* . Service was top notch from greeting to exit. I started with Foie Gras then had Swordfish in a truffled broth and loved both. Mrs_dergon had the oyster stew and raved about it and also very much liked her duck. We drank a few glasses of champagne (honeymoon, you know ) and had desert cocktails too and left with a bill around $200.

Poogan's Porch - I give it 4*. The atmosphere,, as you would guess by the name, is more casual. The waitstaff was friendly. I started with crab dip and then had shrimp and grits. Both satisfying. Mrs_dergon just had a salad of pickled okra then a flank steak. With fewer drinks than the prior night our total was only $90.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, AMEX Platinum
Let me second the many nods for Peninsula Grill. It is my favorite restaurant in the world (and that's saying something!). It's a clear 5* place, very elegant, and an old-world 1950s feel. I don't say it's the best food anywhere, but everything is well done, and if you like this type of fine-dining southern atmosphere, it doesn't get any better overall. It is also known for its excellent champagne by the glass list. The hotel attached to this restaurant is also my favorite in Charleston (Planter's Inn).

Related, if you like classic, old-world hotel bars, I think two of the best in Charleston are the Thoroughbred Bar at Charleston Place and the Barbados Room at the Mills House Hotel. I've never stayed there, but I take it that the Charleston Place is one of the best hotels in the city (it's an Orient Express hotel I think). I stayed at the Mills House recently, and it has some charm and nice public spaces but is not in a top-tier hotel league. Very worn down and no service to speak of. But the fact that the Barbados room is there is a huge plus. Got it for $91 on priceline on a weekend.

For seafood in Charleston, I like Hank's the best - far superior to Hymans, in my opinion.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Bookmarked for future reference - family members are visiting soon and we only recently moved to Charleston.

We thoroughly enjoyed AW Shuck's, which I didn't see mentioned here. I'd never had shrimp and grits in my life and it was awesome.^ Salty and probably very bad for me, but well worth it.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Any recent updates? Really looking for some good bar b q ribs. We will be staying at the Renaissance but will have a car. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by hoyateach

We thoroughly enjoyed AW Shuck's, which I didn't see mentioned here. I'd never had shrimp and grits in my life and it was awesome.^ Salty and probably very bad for me, but well worth it.
Awwww... memories. I used to eat there when I was a kid.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL
This summer will mark my family's 13th year living in the Charleston area (we live across the bridge in Mount Pleasant).

I cannot recommend Hyman's.

I do recommend the numerous restaurants that have young, ingenious minds in their kitchens using local products, particularly local, in-season seafood, to create delicious food unique to the Lowcountry.

I saw upthread a mention of McCrady's and I agree. McCrady's sister restaurant, Husk, has garnered much national attention and I think it is deserved (fantastic bar at Husk as well, it's in the building right next door).

But there are numerous, smaller establishments that perhaps don't get the press that some restaurants do, but are equally deserving. Lucca, Cafe Lana, Cru Cafe; that's a short, incomplete list of some simply excellent restaurants on the peninsula that I would recommend without hesitation.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by jtp1947
Any recent updates? Really looking for some good bar b q ribs. We will be staying at the Renaissance but will have a car. Thanks in advance.
We're not really known for bar-b-que in these parts, but if you must have your fix. . .

"Swig and Swine" on Savannah Highway smokes some nice ribs. But I'd go for the Pork Belly!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:26 pm

I'll be in town from Maryland for memorial day weekend. Already plan to do a nice dinner at Fig (heard better reviews than Husk) and probably do a bar night at Halls. What other places are good for late night/bar menus with good beer and cocktails (or wine). We all love seafood, charcuterie, and especially raw oysters.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aterp2007
I'll be in town from Maryland for memorial day weekend. Already plan to do a nice dinner at Fig (heard better reviews than Husk) and probably do a bar night at Halls. What other places are good for late night/bar menus with good beer and cocktails (or wine). We all love seafood, charcuterie, and especially raw oysters.
FIG is, in a word, fantastic. Good food and the rare bar that serves one of my favorite gins, Old Raj. Excellent choice.

If you're at Hall's, it would be easy to have a great bar night using Hall's as the starting point. After you press the flesh with the effusive Billy Hall (you'll know what I'm talking about after you go) head across the street to Proof. Good drinks, small bar food plates, but good quality food. Intimate space.

Head out the door and take a left on King Street. About a block North you'll come across a restaurant called the MacIntosh. Bright, lots of energy and an inviting bar that will call to you. But don't go in. As you face the MacIntosh look to the left, you'll see a glass door that opens to a flight of stairs. Go up these stairs to the Cocktail Club. Innovative cocktails, also good energy. And don't worry about offending the folks at the MacIntosh; the two establishments are owned by the same company.

OK, you're feeling good, ready to get on with some serious drinking. Again, take a left and keep heading North on King. About a half block on the same side of the street is The Belmont. Don't blink, it's pretty skinny. But, as it's web site says, it's a "fine place to drink". I agree. It's also a good place to get some sustenance. You mentioned charcuterie, this is the place.

One more left on King and cross the street. You'll come across The Ordinary. Fresh oysters. Converted bank, make for an interesting, elegant space. Not cheap, but generally when I eat oysters I'm not looking for the cheapest ones I can find. . .

If you take this itinerary you will be distracted by innumerable options for drinking and eating along this route. By all means explore the other options along King and nearby Streets.

Since you specifically mentioned raw oysters, head over to 167 Raw on East Bay Street. Owned/operated by a couple of young guys, small place but fun, good oysters.

Please let us know where you end up going and how you like it.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by DocDad
FIG is, in a word, fantastic. Good food and the rare bar that serves one of my favorite gins, Old Raj. Excellent choice.

If you're at Hall's, it would be easy to have a great bar night using Hall's as the starting point. After you press the flesh with the effusive Billy Hall (you'll know what I'm talking about after you go) head across the street to Proof. Good drinks, small bar food plates, but good quality food. Intimate space.

Head out the door and take a left on King Street. About a block North you'll come across a restaurant called the MacIntosh. Bright, lots of energy and an inviting bar that will call to you. But don't go in. As you face the MacIntosh look to the left, you'll see a glass door that opens to a flight of stairs. Go up these stairs to the Cocktail Club. Innovative cocktails, also good energy. And don't worry about offending the folks at the MacIntosh; the two establishments are owned by the same company.

OK, you're feeling good, ready to get on with some serious drinking. Again, take a left and keep heading North on King. About a half block on the same side of the street is The Belmont. Don't blink, it's pretty skinny. But, as it's web site says, it's a "fine place to drink". I agree. It's also a good place to get some sustenance. You mentioned charcuterie, this is the place.

One more left on King and cross the street. You'll come across The Ordinary. Fresh oysters. Converted bank, make for an interesting, elegant space. Not cheap, but generally when I eat oysters I'm not looking for the cheapest ones I can find. . .

If you take this itinerary you will be distracted by innumerable options for drinking and eating along this route. By all means explore the other options along King and nearby Streets.

Since you specifically mentioned raw oysters, head over to 167 Raw on East Bay Street. Owned/operated by a couple of young guys, small place but fun, good oysters.

Please let us know where you end up going and how you like it.
This is awesome. I will definitely do something like this a report back. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Magnolia is tops
Old May 31, 2015, 7:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Magnolia's is an excellent choice
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:30 pm

Ended up at Cypress (good, not great), Eli's table for brunch (just what we were looking for) then spending a lot of time at my Aunt's on Wadmalaw Island. Memorial day weekend made it really hard to get into spots and we canceled our Ordinary reservations.

Also LOVED The Rooftop at Vendue, The Blind Tiger, and the Griffon. Tsunami Sushi had some of the worst service I've ever seen (manager problem, not the staff).

Really wanted to go to 167 Raw Bar, but just didn't have the time to wait.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
It's been a few years since this thread and we are heading to Charleston in a week. We have only a day or so (maybe two lunches and a dinner). Any updates on recommended restaurants?

Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:12 am

As a local, our favorite dinner combination is oysters Moscow and cocktails at The Ordinary followed by dinner at Halls Chophouse. At Halls, if you can eat a serious piece of meat, I recommend the bone-in filet mignon. It isn’t on the menu or on the standard meat tray, but they almost always have it. Ask for it Oscar style.

167 Raw is a tiny place and you may have to wait a bit to get in, but laid back and casual lunch spot featuring seafood. Absolutely amazing.

Eater (online site) has a number of good articles about the “best” restaurants around Charleston that tend to be more on point than the recommendations from Yelp (at least as far as we have found).

It seems as though for every good restaurant we have...there are 2-3 tourist trap places. Hyman’s is a definite no-go. Gilligan’s is plain disgusting. You’ll see/hear lots of advertisements for these spots.

Enjoy your trip!
Chris

ETA: I recommend making reservations in advance for anywhere you want to go. The earlier the better. Prime times will disappear oftentimes weeks (and occasionally months) in advance.

Last edited by geckoflyer; Jul 22, 2019 at 6:22 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.