Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

4 Hour Layover in ATL. What can I do?

Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA DL Hilton blah, blah, blah

My girlfriend and I have a 4 hour layover in ATL on our next mileage run (next Saturday). Never been outside of the ATL airport. Given this time frame, is there any attraction that someone can recommend? Take MARTA train somewhere, go the the aquarium?? Please help an appreciative newbie.

Regards,
MaxSpeed
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:26 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue the discussion in the United States South forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:31 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 10:40 am
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:33 am

I don't think that is enough time to do the Aquarium justice. How long is the tour for the new Coke museum? I haven't toured the new coke museum, but that admission has like quintupled since the last time I went so hopefully there is a lot more to see too.

All around that area is the Olympic Park, CNN, Coke, Aquarium. Maybe just walk around and explore that area (or head over to Underground).

You probably don't have time to make it to Stone Mountain but that is the touristy place in ATL that is on the top of my "attractions to see again."

Keep your money close to you as you will unfortunately probably see many homeless people on the MARTA or if you walk from CNN to Underground.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
You can amuse yourself by hiking from one end of the airport to the other! But seriously, 4 hours is not sufficient to head downtown.

The aquariaum is nice, and requires at least 2-3 hours as I recall.
Your best bet is to stay at the airport and people-gawk.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by gj83
How long is the tour for the new Coke museum? I haven't toured the new coke museum, but that admission has like quintupled since the last time I went so hopefully there is a lot more to see too.
I was there last summer. The tour was about 30-45 minutes as I recall. Plus as much time as you want to spend coke-tasting at the end of the tour.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by WASBLR
Your best bet is to stay at the airport and people-gawk.
Or buy visit passes to the Crown Room if crowds aren't your thing. Still $25 per person unless I missed something.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:56 am

Like others have said, 4 hrs in ATL is not a lot of time at all. A MARTA ride into Five Pt (interchange where all the trains meet) is about 15 mins and probably another 10 mins or so to the major destinations. Train normally runs every 10-15 mins depending on time/day of the week. Including waiting time, I think you are looking at 1.5 hr for traveling in and out of town. Add the security hassle in ATL which can be anywhere from half an hour to longer than an hour, I dont think you have much time left for anything at all.

Do you have gold or better status with any airlines? I believe you can use the 1st class/elite security lines if you are a gold or above. This should cut the wait to about 10-15 mins on average.

good luck,

drew
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
Really not enoug time for leaving airport since re-check thru security could take 45min., ect. The CRC idea mentioned would be a good. I suggest heading for the CRC on the E concourse which often serves food unlike the other CRC's at ATL (a little more bang for your buck). If you like art there are nice displays throughout the airport. Between B and A concourses on the lower level (where the trains are located) is a nice display of African stonework.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
There's art in the tunnel that connects the concourses and exhibits in Concourse E. There's a grand piano outside security and sometimes someone playing it. I second the CRC pass too. I can't think of any airport worth leaving for what would amount to 2 hours tops.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Right. He need to stayed at airports. Because its will be missed the flight. I think he need change the flights instead of 4 hours layover in ATL. I have been long 3 hours layover in ATL from last year in 2007. I look it around where I watch the planes is in concourse E. I still have more qualification time during long layover in ATL. I will expect to fly more during mileage runs.

I think you should let's him to stayed at ATL inside the concourse instead of leaving from the security. It will be long lines at the main checkpoint. You don't want to wait for your turns to get through again. Because ATL are very extremely busiest hub with DL & FL, too. Hopefully if he need to understands where he must to be stayed in ATL airports.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by N830MH
Right. He need to stayed at airports. Because its will be missed the flight. I think he need change the flights instead of 4 hours layover in ATL. I have been long 3 hours layover in ATL from last year in 2007. I look it around where I watch the planes is in concourse E. I still have more qualification time during long layover in ATL. I will expect to fly more during mileage runs.

I think you should let's him to stayed at ATL inside the concourse instead of leaving from the security. It will be long lines at the main checkpoint. You don't want to wait for your turns to get through again. Because ATL are very extremely busiest hub with DL & FL, too. Hopefully if he need to understands where he must to be stayed in ATL airports.
The OP doesn't indicate whether he has status. That would help shorten the security line. But, I don't see any compelling reason to leave the secure area if he's not leaving the airport - and I do not advocate leaving the airport for a 4 hour layover.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Premier Exec, SPG Gold
not enough time to do anything besides get high on coca cola

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.