Search

Half a day in Gainesville?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2008, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Half a day in Gainesville?

We're going to a wedding in Gainesville in September. I'm sure the football team is away since I got a cheap rate hotel reservation and the wedding is actually on campus.

We arrive Friday, attend the rehearsal dinner and then the wedding is at 3:30 Saturday. Other than the bride's immediate family, we won't know anyone there. Any suggestions for amusement between breakfast and the ceremony?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
drive by the swamps, they go on for miles....when college is out theres not much around there to do
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA,CO, DL,FL,WN.US
Hey, Gainesville isn't that bad! The "swamp" (not referring to the football stadium, which is THE SWAMP also)is actually Paynes Prarie State Park and off I-75 headed south out of Gainesville. There isn't a lot of "exciting" things to do there, it is after all a college town mainly, lots of bars, music and the like.If you want to see what's going on around the time you'll be there, check out Gainesville.com, the local paper's website. It'll be the best source for local doings and what the Gators are doing then.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:20 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
get some pizza at satchels...its outside of town, and if you have to wait, theres a cool shop with cheap crap, and greenhouse
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:41 am

Ginny (sp?) springs is fun, also if you travel out to High Springs there are some antique stores, also Micanopy which is about 10 miles south of Gainesville on I-75 has some cool stores and things to do.

You shouldn't have trouble finding anything to do in Gainesville, its a great place!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:11 pm
In memoriam

There are 2 museums on campus worth seeing. The Harn Art Museum - and the Florida Museum of Natural History (which has a nice relatively new "Butterfly Rain Forest"). I go to Gainesville once or twice a year - and generally stop by each when I'm in town.

There's also the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens (although September isn't the best time for gardens in Florida) - and Ichetucknee Springs for tubing (which can get very crowded on hot summer weekends). I think your best bet is the museums.

Ichiban Sushi is a place to get a decent light lunch in pleasant surroundings in a town where there are few notable restaurants (especially when it comes to places that serve lunch). Robyn
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: Super-Titanium member of the Gate Roach program. :P
I second the museums suggestion. Since it will be a weekend in the fall, there's a good chance there will be some local events happening- check gainesville.com or grab a copy of the local paper while you're in town. There are also lots of parks and such to walk around in.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:44 pm
In memoriam

Just as a FWIW - the Gainesville Fall Arts Festival is a lot of fun. This year it is scheduled for the weekend of 11/7. Also - it is still pretty hot in all of Florida in September - and early September is the height of hurricane season. So BOLO for tropical storm activity. Robyn
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
One of the greatest things about my hometown - or any big college town -is that there's always some kind of sporting event going on, and the entry prices are dirt cheap. While football will always rule in Gainesville, you'll be there at the beginning of the fall sports seasons. You didn't say whether you have mini-BVs going with you, but either way if you or your kids like soccer or volleyball etc., you should be able to find something going on that would interest them. Both the men's and women's programs at UF are usually excellent.

Previous posters mentioned Ginnie Springs and Itchetucknee, which are great, but they're both a full - and tiring - day. The two museums are a good choice that will keep you inside, cool and not exhausted. I'll keep thinking!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. We'll be there Sept 13. The Gators have a weekend off to get ready for the Vols (they probably won't need it ) It's also my double-nickel birthday. double

It will just be Mrs BV and I. BV Jr #3 won't miss a day of school for a wedding. The rest of the kids, even though the 3 oldest have more of a connection to the bride and family (the 2 oldest played with the bride as toddlers and #3 is the godson of her parents), we're the only ones invited. I think in the interest of remaining cool and relatively unsweaty, the museums sound nice. I believe the rehearsal dinner and wedding reception will take care of our nighttime entertainment, and then it's back home on Sunday.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Eat at Burrito Brothers, a Gainesville tradition.

Drink at any one of the college bars (is the Purple Porpoise still there?).
Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: Super-Titanium member of the Gate Roach program. :P
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
(is the Purple Porpoise still there?).
It was closed and then reopened at a different location. Unfortunately, it closed at that new location after 10 months (this was back in I think 2006). I don't think it has been revived since.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
Oh yes! Burrito Brothers! Yum! Get the guac if they have it...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Eat at Burrito Brothers, a Gainesville tradition.

Drink at any one of the college bars (is the Purple Porpoise still there?).
Originally Posted by krobbins
Oh yes! Burrito Brothers! Yum! Get the guac if they have it...
I'm not sure how appropriate it would be before a wedding. And definitely not the thing to do before a 6 hour car ride back home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.