Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Christmas in New Orleans

Christmas in New Orleans

Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Christmas in New Orleans

My wife and I want to try something different and thought of spending the holiday in New Orleans with our 3 young kids (ages, 12, 9 and 3). We plan on checking in at the W Hotel (in Poydras) on December 22 through December 27.

Here are my questions for FTers in NOLA and/or folks with insights on the subject:

* Would the restaurants in the French Quarter open for business on Christmas eve and Christmas day?

* Any recommendations for kid-friendly restaurants in the tourist area?

* Any recommendations for activities for the kids or must-see places for kids?

Thanks all.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold
I am going to give you a BUMP! I will also be going to NO from Dec. 24 - 28. Leaving BOS for a few days to see NO. First time there as well. I'm going to be at the InterContinental.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
I don't know if they still exist, but several years back they had some mini-parades during the holiday time. nola.com is a great site.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:17 pm

>>Any recommendations for activities for the kids or must-see places for kids?<<

Since you are staying at the W Hotel, the aquarium is short walk. Kids should love it. Take them for a ride on the streetcar, unfortunately, it only goes as far as the Uptown intersection of Napoleon and St. Charles Ave. We also have a great zoo, but that is a little farther Uptown. You can also take them for a Steamboat ride, i.e., the Natchez. The Children's Museum is not too far away from the W, it's in the Warehouse District. World War II Museum??? Also, very highly recommended would be the Christmas lights at City Park. It is a walking tour through the display and there are snacks and drinks available. Might take 1-2 hours to do it. They also have a carousel that is on the Nat'l Historic Register, or something like that.

>>Any recommendations for kid-friendly restaurants in the tourist area?<<

Hard Rock Cafe, Maspero's, House of Blues, the Food Court at the Riverwalk shopping mall, Palace Cafe (upscale). I don't have kids, so I'm running out of ideas.

>>Would the restaurants in the French Quarter open for business on Christmas eve and Christmas day?<<

You should be able to find some restaurants open, fairly easily. Try to experience one that has a Reveillon dinner. Here is a very good website written by one of our long respected food critics:

http://nomenu.com/

BTW, I second the nola.com site. It belongs to the local newspaper, The Times-Picayune.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Go to the Christmastime "Celebration in the Oaks" up in CIty Park. Great for kids of all ages.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Have breakfast or lunch at Mother's, just across the street from the side hotel entrance. AWesome pancakes!

They would probably also enjoy walking through the French Market or a carriage ride through the quarter. Airboat swamp tours are fun, too.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Half the French Market is closed for construction -- it's a compact mess compared to what it used to be.

Don't forget an Imax show, right next door to the aquarium. Plan it so you can buy combo tiks for both, as it's cheaper.

We were there visiting family last Christmas and on the Eve and the day, the whole CBD and Quarter was virtually dead. But, it's been a year now, so that may have changed. Do not miss the City Park lights exhibit, but plan to arrive there as dusk is ending. Later on the parking lots are an absolute madhouse and the walkways through the park are jammed -- esp. if the 3 yr old is in a stroller.

Make sure you drive through Lakeview and New Orleans east so you can see first-hand history of what happens when all 3 levels of Govt and the Army Corp screw up bigtime.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by DallasBill
Half the French Market is closed for construction -- it's a compact mess compared to what it used to be.
I thought they were supposed to be done last month? Looked like they were making significant progress on completing the second half when I was there in August. Even so, kids might enjoy a walk through.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Good suggestions, all. Thanks a bunch.

Looking forward to some oyster from Acme Oysters and that beignet thingies I keep hearing about.

keep it coming, folks.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by tazi
I thought they were supposed to be done last month? Looked like they were making significant progress on completing the second half when I was there in August. Even so, kids might enjoy a walk through.
Good point -- I did not realize that and Aug was when we were there last, too.

Felix's, across the street from Acme, is every bit as good.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:11 pm

If you want beignets (ben-yays), make sure that you go to Cafe Du Monde for them, near Jackson Square. It was established in 1862. Every place else is a "new kid on the block" and not as authentic.

http://www.cafedumonde.com/

I second the vote for Felix's over Acme, although neither one is my preference for oysters. You might want to try the new branch of Drago's Seafood at #2 Poydras St., which is close to your hotel. It's on the first floor of the Hilton Hotel. Make sure you try their char-grilled oysters.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:22 am

Here are a couple links to help you out:

Christmas New Orleans Style
http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...mas/index.html

Also on the same website, links to coupons, maps, and other useful information:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/

Even though the St. Charles line still does not go the distance it used to, I am sure your kids would enjoy the ride.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/news...arreturns.html
Old Dec 6, 2007, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by BlindPilot
* Would the restaurants in the French Quarter open for business on Christmas eve and Christmas day?
Another link:
http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...llonmenus.html

Tujaque's is wonderful. Looks like they will be open both Xmas Eve and day.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
If you want beignets (ben-yays), make sure that you go to Cafe Du Monde for them, near Jackson Square. It was established in 1862. Every place else is a "new kid on the block" and not as authentic.
I respectfully disagree. Cafe Beignet on Royal, next to the cop shop, has been there for years, and is every bit as good. We refuse to meet anyone at DuMonde -- it's such a messy pig-sty of a place!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:28 am

To get back to one of the OP's original questions:

Restaurants that are open for Christmas Eve & Christmas:

http://www.nomenu.com/Christmas/

You might want to make reservations as soon as possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.