Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Hello competition. WAWA is open!!!

It opened this morning. http://tinyurl.com/phzqtnu
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:06 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Orlando Vic
It opened this morning. http://tinyurl.com/phzqtnu
"Kutka, still stinging from his expensive fuel bill, had his own idea: Let Wawa put up another sign — warning consumers of the sky-high prices just up the road."

I don't understand why the city didn't spend a few dollars years ago to put up its own signs warning motorists of the ripoff.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by nsx
"Kutka, still stinging from his expensive fuel bill, had his own idea: Let Wawa put up another sign — warning consumers of the sky-high prices just up the road."

I don't understand why the city didn't spend a few dollars years ago to put up its own signs warning motorists of the ripoff.
Illegal. It would be a case of prior restraint (I think that's the proper legal term for it), and the rogue station could sue the city and win.

However, bringing a Wawa to the area will solve the problem quickly - it creates local jobs, gives the consumers a low-priced alternative to the rogue station, and frankly, I like Wawa's store as a place to get snacks, drinks, the occasional prepared food, and even a few fresh fruit offerings. It's just what that section of Semoran needs - and it will likely DESTROY the rogue station, as most consumers are far more willing to gas up at a name-brand franchise than at a no-name independent, even if the franchise is a few cents higher than the indi. Which, in this case, it won't ever be, I'm sure.

The opening price of $2.99 at Wawa will only be for the first week; it's a marketing strategy I've noticed them using at other locations, sort of like a grand opening sale. After that first week, the price will go up to match the other gas stations in the area, but will typically undercut them by at least two cents per gallon.

I believe I'll be patronising this Wawa myself on my next visit to Orlando. Heck, I might even stop by as I'm leaving MCO, just for a snack and a drink that are cheaper than the in-terminal fare!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by WillCAD

Originally Posted by nsx
Illegal. It would be a case of prior restraint (I think that's the proper legal term for it), and the rogue station could sue the city and win.
In any case, it would be construed as government favoring (or disfavoring) one business over others which is not a good road to go down.

However, bringing a Wawa to the area will solve the problem quickly - it creates local jobs, gives the consumers a low-priced alternative to the rogue station, - and it will likely DESTROY the rogue station
Sadly, I don't think it will destroy the high priced stations. There were already fairly convenient alternatives, the stations rely on people who assume prices don't vary much between nearby stations and who just pull in without even checking the price. I'll admit to doing that myself when travelling, although I've been lucky that the generalization is normally true so I've never been burned by $2.50/gal over going rates.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djk7
In any case, it would be construed as government favoring (or disfavoring) one business over others which is not a good road to go down..
Yeah, no government has ever favored one business over another.

Signed,

Ford Motor Company
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yeah, no government has ever favored one business over another.

Signed,

Ford Motor Company
Certainly it's happened, and still does happen, but that doesn't seem to me to be a good reason for it to happen is this case.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

However, bringing a Wawa to the area will solve the problem quickly - it creates local jobs, gives the consumers a low-priced alternative to the rogue station, and frankly, I like Wawa's store as a place to get snacks, drinks, the occasional prepared food, and even a few fresh fruit offerings. It's just what that section of Semoran needs - and it will likely DESTROY the rogue station, as most consumers are far more willing to gas up at a name-brand franchise than at a no-name independent, even if the franchise is a few cents higher than the indi. Which, in this case, it won't ever be, I'm sure.

The opening price of $2.99 at Wawa will only be for the first week; it's a marketing strategy I've noticed them using at other locations, sort of like a grand opening sale. After that first week, the price will go up to match the other gas stations in the area, but will typically undercut them by at least two cents per gallon.

I believe I'll be patronising this Wawa myself on my next visit to Orlando. Heck, I might even stop by as I'm leaving MCO, just for a snack and a drink that are cheaper than the in-terminal fare!
I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually below cost.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The other solution is to fill up far away from the airport.
(One other poster does this, and the vehicle still shows, and is often recorded 'full'.)
On my last three trips, I have filled up at three far away locations;

1) On 405 just east of 407, on the way from Kennedy Space Center back to MCO.

2) At the Hess leaving MK, then directly to MCO via 417.

3) At the Hess leaving WDW, then to Silver Lake Resort for the night, then to the Grand Floridian for a pre-departure breakfast, then finally directly to MCO via 417.

(OK that's only two locations, but three different post fill-up itineraries.)
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA~AA~HH~Hyatt~WN
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The other solution is to fill up far away from the airport.
(One other poster does this, and the vehicle still shows, and is often recorded 'full'.)
We've been doing this for years, at the Hess by Disney's BoardWalk resort. Compared to Chicago-area gas prices, Hess at WDW always seems cheap to us....^
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by northsider
We've been doing this for years, at the Hess by Disney's BoardWalk resort. Compared to Chicago-area gas prices, Hess at WDW always seems cheap to us....^
I was just at Disney a week ago. We did not stay at Disney. Filled up on 192 a few mins before exit for Disney and no problem returning the car with a full tank.
There was a price difference of a $1.30 per gallon depending on what side of 192 you are on.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
...I believe I'll be patronising this Wawa myself on my next visit to Orlando. Heck, I might even stop by as I'm leaving MCO, just for a snack and a drink that are cheaper than the in-terminal fare!
Filled up at Wawa this past Monday. Not $2.99 any more, but still low for the area, let alone the two rip-off joints. Still, a lot of people will get on Semoran heading away from the airport and stop at the first place they come to, not knowing that they can save nearly three bucks a gallon by driving another few hundred yards. I don't see it putting those places out of business (or forcing them to lower their prices) any time soon.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
I don't see it putting those places out of business (or forcing them to lower their prices) any time soon.
Me either, I drove past on Monday and saw the half hidden sign on one was still $5.95. I'm sure they make their money from people who assume prices at nearby stations are similar and don't even bother to check.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Hey, they dropped it down

When I drove past on Veteran's Day it was $5.999
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Hey, they dropped it down

When I drove past on Veteran's Day it was $5.999
Thank you Wawa!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:39 pm

We should protest by pumping a penny worth of gas and paying with a credit card. It'll cost them more than a penny to process the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.