MCO Gas Station RIPOFF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCO Gas Station RIPOFF

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT
That's great! Of course, it won't necessarily stop this merchant from price gouging, but it will put a crimp in his ability to do so easily. ^
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: DELTA PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, etc.
Are you guys seriously sending letters to everyone and their mom about this? What is your complaint? This station offers a convenient location to minimize your inconvenience, and offers gas at price X, which is displayed on the pump in advance of your purchase. Other stations seek to win your business by prominently displaying lower prices despite their less convenient locations.

Isn't this trade-off what our economic system is built upon? The market allows you to determine the value of your own time through your selection of goods and services... i.e. if you value the time it takes you to drive to a different station at more than approx. $1/gallon, or whatever premium the convenient station is charging, then you should make your purchase accordingly. I do not understand the way the term 'gouging' is being thrown around here.

What exactly do you want the government to do for you?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MikeBU
Are you guys seriously sending letters to everyone and their mom about this? What is your complaint? This station offers a convenient location to minimize your inconvenience, and offers gas at price X, which is displayed on the pump in advance of your purchase. Other stations seek to win your business by prominently displaying lower prices despite their less convenient locations.

Isn't this trade-off what our economic system is built upon? The market allows you to determine the value of your own time through your selection of goods and services... i.e. if you value the time it takes you to drive to a different station at more than approx. $1/gallon, or whatever premium the convenient station is charging, then you should make your purchase accordingly. I do not understand the way the term 'gouging' is being thrown around here.

What exactly do you want the government to do for you?
This forum is great for our economic system. The more people aware of this merchant's practices, the better!!! More informed consumers can then weigh the value proposition of paying $1/gallon more at a location which chooses NOT to post their gas prices.

The Florida Department of Agriculture also responded that they have rcvd numerous complaints about this merchant. They stated they have inspected this location numerous times. They have found no violations which are under their jurisdiction.

Yes, they also did indicate that the LEGAL term "gouging" is only valid under a state or national emergency. So legally, the term gouging is not applicable in this situation.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:01 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
So... it's Dec 1. Maybe I'll swing by there and see if they're still a Chevron
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Oh, that would be cool. I like that we as consumers can "fight back" and put pressure on the company like this (Chevron) who can then put pressure on the station.

Yes, we don't need the govt to do it for us, the consumer can cause change (or at least let that station know folks aren't going to take it lying down so to speak). ^
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, MR Silver, Delta GM, Hertz FS
Was by there last Friday returning a rental to Hertz. The Chevron signs have been taken off the canopy over the gas pumps. You can see the outline of where they were. Based on the paint job scheme, it still looks like a Chevron station.

I'll be back in Orlando on business next week and will see if the familiar "Chevron Blue" remains, or if they've been able to further distance themselves from this owner.

Without going into arguments over capitalism and complaining over this station's gas prices and lack of transparency, I tend to see this thread as a valuable use of the Flyer Talk boards...allowing travellers and consumers to make valid postings for the benefit of other users, to hopefully learn something of value to help you along the way.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Sorry to bump a 4 month old thread, but I was just thinking about this gas station.....

Like many people, I was leaving the airport one day, and noticed my fuel light had been on. Not knowing how long, I pulled in. I was shocked at the price of gas. Two months ago it was 3.59 or something close to that. I put a couple of gallons in, enough to get me out to east Orlando, where gas prices tend to be more favorable. The horrible thing was that all the other people at the pumps seemed to not mind paying that much of a markup at all. I bet they were all tourists and rental cars, as most Orlando locals know this place is a ripoff.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:39 pm

Chervon Replies

I acutally received a letter of apology from Chevron concerning the situation. They apologized and confirmed that "Chevron has terminated its relationship with this marketer at this location and the site was de-branded."

Given that it doesn't totally resolve the situation, at least Chevron is no longer associated with it. It sounds like the owner continues these practices of charging above average rates.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:47 am

Still A Chevron

Looks like its still a Chevron. You might want to send that letter back.

http://www.local6.com/news/12885910/detail.html
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:07 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
If I can't see the price of the gas I have no qualms about driving in to look, and if i don't like the price, driving right back out.

Good cheap gas station to top off when coming back from Disney: Take I-4 east to 528 east (Beach Line; Bee Line). Get off 528 at its exit 9 Tradeport. Left and cross under and the station is right there 2 miles from airport.

Leaving that station, get back into middle lane going away from 528, required right onto McCoy. As you pass the Payless rental and park/fly area you see you are saving one of the 75 cent tolls. Next light is 436 (Semoran) and airport entrance.

Coming out of the airport north exit to top off, take a left at first light. Go to next light and take another left and then a right to find that gas station. Also a good way to go to Disney via 528 and I-4, and also saving one of the two tolls.

Travel tips: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cybermud
Looks like its still a Chevron. You might want to send that letter back.

http://www.local6.com/news/12885910/detail.html
I disagree it doesnt seem to be an Authorized Chevron any longer. The link you supplied has a pic where you can see that theres a Black Markout on the pumps, I imagine that either Chevron or some tradename/mark that belongs to Chevron was crossed out.

Even thou the story called it a Chevron Station which it was known as for many yrs that means nothing. I still refer to many places by what I knew them to be although its taken over by a different company a few times already and has gone thru name changes as well.

OT; I see no reason why Chevron decided to stop selling them the gas, all they had to was tell them 'we will continue to sell you the gas however you can not operate as a Chevron station or put up signs that indicate that the gas you are selling is Chevron'.

if its not against Florida law to sell the gas at that price (I doubt it is as the Rental Car Companys usually will charge more then that station does) or not to have posted Except on the pump the actual price , I see nothing wrong with it. Its up to the Consumer to know what they are paying and since its painly posted on the pump, its the buyers fault.

I see all too often when I pull off an Interstate for gas at a station that has up signs for cheap prices per gallon, that if you go inside to purchase some food or drink that alot of the times theres no prices on anything , the reason is they get you in with the cheap gas and hit you on the food/drink which will be anywhere from 20+ cents more per item, or if it is marked its still alot more then I would expect to pay, again people will be lined up to pay for the items even though it costs more then elsewhere

Last edited by craz; Apr 23, 2007 at 10:05 am
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by craz
I see all too often when I pull off an Interstate for gas at a station that has up signs for cheap prices per gallon, that if you go inside to purchase some food or drink that alot of teh times the res no prices on anything , the reason is they get you in with the cheap gas and hit you on the food/drink which will be anywhere from 20+ cents more per item, or if it is marked its still alot more then I would expect to pay, again people will be lined up to pay for the items even though it costs more then elsewhere
I think some use cheap food to get you in to buy gas. Hard to beat a $1.50 personal pizza or a $1 vanilla latte at AM/PM.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Ill verify that it is no longer an actual Chevron, but it still looks very much like one. If you dont notice the fact that all the Chevron logos have been covered up or painted over, you would think you were at a Chevron. This is why people are stilling calling it a Chevron, I know I have the same habit of doing the same thing immediately after something like this happens.

This station probably also does the markup on food inside. Afterall there is a Wendy's inside of the store. In fact thats how I think they get some of their customers in. Either way its up to the motorist to decide to stop or go 3 minutes farther down Semoran/SR436 to a much more reasonably priced station.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:11 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I was there yesterday (didn't give them a cent though)

http://www.mkt3000.com/pics/random_6...2_0001_std.jpg
http://www.mkt3000.com/pics/random_6...2_0003_std.jpg
http://www.mkt3000.com/pics/random_6...2_0002_std.jpg

1 mile away though,

http://www.mkt3000.com/pics/random_6...2_0006_std.jpg
Old Aug 5, 2007, 4:00 pm

Orlando airport gas station ripoff

The state should look into changing the laws on the pricing of gas, and should protect the consumer as well as the innocent tourist who is returning their rental car after spending a bundle of money in our state. The last thing this person expects is to be ROBBED at the gas pump. The fact that this crook doesn't have a sign posting his prices, says it all. Has anyone ever been to a gas station besides this one that doesn't have a sign that is visable from the street? There has been many complaints about this station but the high profit out weighs the fines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.