Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Overnight at MIA- advice on hotels nearby

Overnight at MIA- advice on hotels nearby

Old Sep 14, 06, 12:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 623
Overnight at MIA- advice on hotels nearby

Greetings from a refugee from the BA board. I will be in transit at MIA on Oct 8, arriving on AA from NAS and leaving on AA domestic on the 9th.

Would appreciate any ideas for a cheapish place to stay overnight.

Thanks in advance.
chippy63 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 1:00 pm
  #2  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,544
None of the MIA airport hotels are cheapish, but there are a dozen near the airport. The Marriott is pretty good if you want something plush, also has frequent and fast shuttle service (some of the cheapest hotels are horrible for shuttles, to the point that you may need to use a taxi to make your flight -- making them not so cheap after all). Also the Marriott has 2 cheaper chains next to it (actually on the same property (clever idea, building 3 hotels instead of one, differentiating the market). They all share the same shuttle bus.

The in-terminal hotel is poor and very expensive (but no bus needed, you walk to check-in).
number_6 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 1:05 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: miami
Programs: aa exp
Posts: 17
Yep the Marriott is best at the airport. But if you dont have to fly at the crack of dawn, why not visit South Beach the Marriott south beach has great rates this time of year and may even be less then the airport Marriott at some times. even when adding the cost of the taxi to and from the beach.
plini is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 1:08 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Siesta Key
Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Posts: 9,697
If you have few hours in the evening of the arrival day and you are not leaving very early next morning, and are willing to spend few extra bucks, forget airport hotels. Instead, catch a cab to South Beach and grab a hotel there. It's only about 15-20 minute ride and you can actually enjoy Miami the way it was meant to be enjoyed , unlike the airport area.
andrzej is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 1:32 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 10280 & 91101
Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
Posts: 461
I am also in a similar situation this Friday. Flying in LAX-MIA on the redeye right after work and connecting to SCL at 11:20 pm that evening. I plan to rent a car for the day and enjoy South Beach. Any good restaurant recommendations in that area also ?

thx
lesenok is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 1:39 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: STL
Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,966
Originally Posted by lesenok
I am also in a similar situation this Friday. Flying in LAX-MIA on the redeye right after work and connecting to SCL at 11:20 pm that evening. I plan to rent a car for the day and enjoy South Beach. Any good restaurant recommendations in that area also ?

thx
I like Joe's Crab Shack, but a lot of people go there.

I agree with those who say don't stay in a hotel at the airport. The hotel is in a neighborhood that is not the best Miami has to offer.
gemac is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 1:55 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: AA EXP, HLT GLD, SPG GLD
Posts: 174
That's Joe's Stone Crab... [and it's closed - it's only open 'in season' and that's starting round mid October... www.joesstonecrab.com]

Plenty of nice restaurants... best advice, go to Ocean Drive and just walk it (you can go from South Point).. There's some great restaurants with outdoor (but shaded) patio areas - good food and great atmosphere/view.

And as far as nice Airport Hotels... Marriott/Residence Inn is nicest, there's a Hilton and a Homewood Suites and Staybridge nearby... definitely NOT recommended - if you can go further (South Beach)... I'm a Miami native, and I'd never tell my friends or family to stay near the hotel - not that it's not safe, it's fine - just NOTHING to do.
nickvora is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 1:59 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously BOS, NYC, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,109
Originally Posted by nickvora
Plenty of nice restaurants... best advice, go to Ocean Drive and just walk it (you can go from South Point).. There's some great restaurants with outdoor (but shaded) patio areas - good food and great atmosphere/view.
I've never understood advice like this. How is one supposed to find the restaurants with good food by looking at a place?
Blumie is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 2:09 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: STL
Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,966
Originally Posted by nickvora
That's Joe's Stone Crab... [and it's closed - it's only open 'in season' and that's starting round mid October... www.joesstonecrab.com]

Plenty of nice restaurants... best advice, go to Ocean Drive and just walk it (you can go from South Point).. There's some great restaurants with outdoor (but shaded) patio areas - good food and great atmosphere/view.
Thanks for the update. Obviously, it's been too long since I was there. And I guess I always went in winter, so I didn't know that they closed for part of the year.

I agree on the restaurants. If it is pretty full, has a good view, I've always gotten decent food.
gemac is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 2:12 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ/MGA
Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,601
Originally Posted by chippy63
Greetings from a refugee from the BA board. I will be in transit at MIA on Oct 8, arriving on AA from NAS and leaving on AA domestic on the 9th.

Would appreciate any ideas for a cheapish place to stay overnight.

Thanks in advance.
Cheapish being undefined, go to www.quikbook.com, pick Miami and the aairport as the neighborhood and you can see what they offer, ususally the MIA Aiport Hotel in Terminal E for around US$120. Not fancy but you cannot beat the location since it is in the terminal itself.
ricktoronto is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 2:14 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 659
Originally Posted by lesenok
I am also in a similar situation this Friday. Flying in LAX-MIA on the redeye right after work and connecting to SCL at 11:20 pm that evening. I plan to rent a car for the day and enjoy South Beach. Any good restaurant recommendations in that area also ?

thx
Hi - I'll also be flying into MIA and renting a car in mid-December and I can't find anything under $26/day. Any car rental suggestions as well?

I would try priceline for a MIA hotel.
fishee is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 2:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Posts: 695
There is a Fairfield Inn on the same grounds as the airport Marriott. This will be closer to your budget expectations. Avoid the MIA Airport hotel, not really clean, badly needs renovation. The five minutes in the shuttle to the Marriott / Fairfield is worth it to avoid the airport hotel.

Also keep in mind, that if you do not want to wait for a hotel shuttle, you must use the special local cabs, not the general cabs. There are two different cab services at MIA, one for close in trips and one for trips further out. If you have any doubt, tell the dispatcher where you are going.
MIA-SAT is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 2:38 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 10280 & 91101
Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
Posts: 461
Originally Posted by fishee
Hi - I'll also be flying into MIA and renting a car in mid-December and I can't find anything under $26/day. Any car rental suggestions as well?

I would try priceline for a MIA hotel.
I just rented a car from Avis for $21 per day. You can use the AA Avis AWD for 25% discount. I think its K817125 (good until 12/31/06) or search in the Avis forum

And thanks for the Restaurant suggs. I will check out Ocean drive. Looks like there are lots of selections

Last edited by lesenok; Sep 14, 06 at 2:44 pm
lesenok is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 2:45 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 659
Originally Posted by lesenok
I just rented a car from Avis for $21 per day. You can use the AA Avis AWD for 25% discount. I think its K817125 (good until 12/31/06) or search in the Avis forum

And thanks for the Restaurant suggs. I will check out Ocean drive. Looks like there are lots of selections

Thanks -- it's still quite high. I think the problem is that all the rates jack up in December in Florida. maybe I should re-plan this one...
fishee is offline  
Old Sep 14, 06, 5:05 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 623
Thanks very much for the advice - I will probably head to South Beach, as Plini and Andrzej mention since my onward flight isn't until noon.
A nice weekend to all.
chippy63 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: