FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   Overnight at MIA- advice on hotels nearby (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/601807-overnight-mia-advice-hotels-nearby.html)

chippy63 Sep 14, 2006 12:42 pm

Overnight at MIA- advice on hotels nearby

Greetings from a refugee from the BA board. I will be in transit at MIA on Oct 8, arriving on AA from NAS and leaving on AA domestic on the 9th.

Would appreciate any ideas for a cheapish place to stay overnight.

Thanks in advance.

number_6 Sep 14, 2006 1:00 pm

None of the MIA airport hotels are cheapish, but there are a dozen near the airport. The Marriott is pretty good if you want something plush, also has frequent and fast shuttle service (some of the cheapest hotels are horrible for shuttles, to the point that you may need to use a taxi to make your flight -- making them not so cheap after all). Also the Marriott has 2 cheaper chains next to it (actually on the same property (clever idea, building 3 hotels instead of one, differentiating the market). They all share the same shuttle bus.

The in-terminal hotel is poor and very expensive (but no bus needed, you walk to check-in).

plini Sep 14, 2006 1:05 pm

Yep the Marriott is best at the airport. But if you dont have to fly at the crack of dawn, why not visit South Beach the Marriott south beach has great rates this time of year and may even be less then the airport Marriott at some times. even when adding the cost of the taxi to and from the beach.

andrzej Sep 14, 2006 1:08 pm

If you have few hours in the evening of the arrival day and you are not leaving very early next morning, and are willing to spend few extra bucks, forget airport hotels. Instead, catch a cab to South Beach and grab a hotel there. It's only about 15-20 minute ride and you can actually enjoy Miami the way it was meant to be enjoyed :D , unlike the airport area.

lesenok Sep 14, 2006 1:32 pm

I am also in a similar situation this Friday. Flying in LAX-MIA on the redeye right after work and connecting to SCL at 11:20 pm that evening. I plan to rent a car for the day and enjoy South Beach. Any good restaurant recommendations in that area also ?

thx

gemac Sep 14, 2006 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by lesenok
I am also in a similar situation this Friday. Flying in LAX-MIA on the redeye right after work and connecting to SCL at 11:20 pm that evening. I plan to rent a car for the day and enjoy South Beach. Any good restaurant recommendations in that area also ?

thx

I like Joe's Crab Shack, but a lot of people go there.

I agree with those who say don't stay in a hotel at the airport. The hotel is in a neighborhood that is not the best Miami has to offer.

nickvora Sep 14, 2006 1:55 pm

That's Joe's Stone Crab... [and it's closed - it's only open 'in season' and that's starting round mid October... www.joesstonecrab.com]

Plenty of nice restaurants... best advice, go to Ocean Drive and just walk it (you can go from South Point).. There's some great restaurants with outdoor (but shaded) patio areas - good food and great atmosphere/view.

And as far as nice Airport Hotels... Marriott/Residence Inn is nicest, there's a Hilton and a Homewood Suites and Staybridge nearby... definitely NOT recommended - if you can go further (South Beach)... I'm a Miami native, and I'd never tell my friends or family to stay near the hotel - not that it's not safe, it's fine - just NOTHING to do.

Blumie Sep 14, 2006 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by nickvora
Plenty of nice restaurants... best advice, go to Ocean Drive and just walk it (you can go from South Point).. There's some great restaurants with outdoor (but shaded) patio areas - good food and great atmosphere/view.

I've never understood advice like this. How is one supposed to find the restaurants with good food by looking at a place?

gemac Sep 14, 2006 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by nickvora
That's Joe's Stone Crab... [and it's closed - it's only open 'in season' and that's starting round mid October... www.joesstonecrab.com]

Thanks for the update. Obviously, it's been too long since I was there. :D And I guess I always went in winter, so I didn't know that they closed for part of the year.

I agree on the restaurants. If it is pretty full, has a good view, I've always gotten decent food.

ricktoronto Sep 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by chippy63
Greetings from a refugee from the BA board. I will be in transit at MIA on Oct 8, arriving on AA from NAS and leaving on AA domestic on the 9th.

Would appreciate any ideas for a cheapish place to stay overnight.

Thanks in advance.

Cheapish being undefined, go to www.quikbook.com, pick Miami and the aairport as the neighborhood and you can see what they offer, ususally the MIA Aiport Hotel in Terminal E for around US$120. Not fancy but you cannot beat the location since it is in the terminal itself.

fishee Sep 14, 2006 2:14 pm

thx

Hi - I'll also be flying into MIA and renting a car in mid-December and I can't find anything under $26/day. Any car rental suggestions as well?

I would try priceline for a MIA hotel.

MIA-SAT Sep 14, 2006 2:16 pm

There is a Fairfield Inn on the same grounds as the airport Marriott. This will be closer to your budget expectations. Avoid the MIA Airport hotel, not really clean, badly needs renovation. The five minutes in the shuttle to the Marriott / Fairfield is worth it to avoid the airport hotel.

Also keep in mind, that if you do not want to wait for a hotel shuttle, you must use the special local cabs, not the general cabs. There are two different cab services at MIA, one for close in trips and one for trips further out. If you have any doubt, tell the dispatcher where you are going.

lesenok Sep 14, 2006 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by fishee
Hi - I'll also be flying into MIA and renting a car in mid-December and I can't find anything under $26/day. Any car rental suggestions as well?

I would try priceline for a MIA hotel.

I just rented a car from Avis for $21 per day. You can use the AA Avis AWD for 25% discount. I think its K817125 (good until 12/31/06) or search in the Avis forum

And thanks for the Restaurant suggs. I will check out Ocean drive. Looks like there are lots of selections

fishee Sep 14, 2006 2:45 pm

I just rented a car from Avis for $21 per day. You can use the AA Avis AWD for 25% discount. I think its K817125 (good until 12/31/06) or search in the Avis forum

And thanks for the Restaurant suggs. I will check out Ocean drive. Looks like there are lots of selections

Thanks -- it's still quite high. I think the problem is that all the rates jack up in December in Florida. maybe I should re-plan this one...

chippy63 Sep 14, 2006 5:05 pm

Thanks very much for the advice - I will probably head to South Beach, as Plini and Andrzej mention since my onward flight isn't until noon.
A nice weekend to all.