FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   Florida in end October? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/583679-florida-end-october.html)

dabee69 Jul 27, 2006 7:28 am

Florida in end October?

What's Florida like in end October? Are storms gone? I might be looking at Miami, Destin and Orlando end of October - beginning of November.

MoreMilesPlease Jul 27, 2006 7:41 am

Technically hurricane season ends Nov. 30. The end of October beginning of Novemeber is a great time to be in Florida. The weather is cooling down but you can still comfortably go to the beach.

The crowds are less. There does seem to be an influx of Brits around the end of October since they have a school holiday around then. Florida schools don't really have a break at that time but do have one later in November.

My realatives like to come visit us in October/Novemeber because they find the weather great and less crowds.

tfmpa Jul 27, 2006 9:17 am

It is a great time of the year. If you are considering Orlando for the theme parks, that is one of the least busy times of the year and during the Epcot Food & Wine Festival which is really fun.

USAFAN Jul 27, 2006 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dabee69
What's Florida like in end October? Are storms gone? I might be looking at Miami, Destin and Orlando end of October - beginning of November.

It's a very good time: Good weather, low prices in hotels, condos, restaurants. I recommend Nov. to friends etc.

MoreMilesPlease mentioned already that the hurricane season will end Nov. 30 ... mostly the weather is fine, but no guaranty. I still remember a storm hit Naples Pier Nov. 13, 1987 ... 3 days after I purchased a home in Naples :(

lykstyk Aug 6, 2006 1:58 pm

weather late oct

Hurricane Wilma crushed South Florida October 24, 2005.... so you never know, however the odds are on your side that late October is fine..

bigbadbuff Aug 23, 2006 9:21 am

How warm is the water that time of year? Pleasantly warm, slightly cold, etc? I understand it may vary dependent on location, I am speaking of south FL.

pbiflyer Aug 23, 2006 12:57 pm

South Florida wil very likely be warm and pleasant. Sometimes it gets hot, sometimes cold that time of year, but very likley nice. You will be able to be in shorts and spend time on the beach.
Enjoy.

tkey75 Aug 26, 2006 3:01 pm

IMHO, the best time of year. Less crowded, nice weather - still in the 80's. The water will be warm, as well.

Desirees Aug 27, 2006 6:42 am

Weather during Thanksgiving?

I want to take the kids to Florida during Thanksgiving, a beach somewhere, and thought St Augustine would be good...however I cannot find info anywhere for how the weather would be like. I am thinking of renting a beach house but do you think the weather will be usually too cold for being on the beach? If so, can anyone recommend any other beach. We live in Raleigh,NC and want to go somewhere within 10 hrs of driving...want to avoid flying with two small kids during Thanksgiving.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

D.

canes98 Aug 28, 2006 9:22 am

Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
How warm is the water that time of year? Pleasantly warm, slightly cold, etc? I understand it may vary dependent on location, I am speaking of south FL.

From 12 years of experience, I can comfortably say that the end of October is right when the water is around 80 degrees. This is true both on the Gulf side from Fort Myers down and on the Atlantic side from Palm Beach down.

Some years it'll be about 78, some years about 82, but generally, 80 degrees is the normal water temperature at the end of October.

robyng Aug 29, 2006 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Desirees
I want to take the kids to Florida during Thanksgiving, a beach somewhere, and thought St Augustine would be good...however I cannot find info anywhere for how the weather would be like. I am thinking of renting a beach house but do you think the weather will be usually too cold for being on the beach? If so, can anyone recommend any other beach. We live in Raleigh,NC and want to go somewhere within 10 hrs of driving...want to avoid flying with two small kids during Thanksgiving.

Thanks,

D.

I live about 30 minutes north of St. Augustine. Thanksgiving is "iffy" in terms of beach weather (but ideal for golf). Sometimes it's in the 70's or 80's - but it was a lot colder 2 years ago (I had dinner for 20 on my patio - and it was definitely sweater weather or worse after the sun went down!). On the other hand - pools in most nice places would be heated. To get dependable beach weather in late November - you have to go further south - 100 to 200 miles. Which means more time on I-95 (see below).

On the third hand - we used to travel to Southern Pines before my inlaws died. Thanksgiving Sunday on I-95 was the pits. On the fourth hand - if you can go home on Monday - as opposed to Sunday - you'll probably be ok.

Note that I really hate traveling on Thanksgiving - whether by plane or car. Perhaps it would just be better to find a resort like Pinehurst or the like - closer to home - which has a heated (perhaps indoor) pool. I'm not sure kids like the beach better than pools.

One place to look at in this area is the Ritz Carlton at Amelia Island (about an hour north of us - closer to you). I know there's an indoor pool there - a kid's program - and a beach too if the weather is cooperative. It's had a big renovation going on for about a year - and I'm pretty sure it will be finished by the fall. There is a big Thanksgiving dinner - a Christmas tree lighting - all the kinds of things kids would tend to like. Robyn

ZeppoX Aug 30, 2006 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Desirees

Thanks,

D.

If you are driving I-95 through SC and GA during or near a holiday, you will need a TripTik and a CB radio.

When the traffic comes to a stop or you hear the truckers talking about a problem, get off at the next exit and listen to the truckers until you know what's going on and whether you need to take an alternative route to by-pass trouble. Reference the TripTik (or a good map) for the mile markers, because that's how truckers navigate.

This strategy can save you hours -- on a trip to FL in 2005 there were several problems and the CB saved me a whole day. Don't talk to the truckers or ask them any questions, just listen. For under $100 Radio Shack can set you up with a basic CB, a power adapter for the ciggy lighter, and a small antenna that works by induction through the glass. No wiring and no drilling, just make sure your wipers don't hit the antenna.