Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you think of Charleston

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2002, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Charleston SC, The Abbreviated Version

So I have business in Charleston this summer. I've never been there before but I have hear wonderful things. Unfortunately, I have a very short time to be there as I can only go to town long enough, essentially, for my meeting.

So, if you have only an afternoon, an evening, and a following morning to tour Charleston, what would you recommend for me?

My interests would particularly be historic sites (colonial and civil war) and neighborhood walks. I'd love to try some cooking that reflects the area (nothing $$$, just $ or $$).

And to do this, would you recommend I find a hotel in a certain neighborhood/area?

Many thanks for your tips.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
well, having just spent a few glorious muggy days in charleston I can only say...

I liked drayton hall, it was very interesting to see a house that has been preserved, but not restored. The gardens are not at their best right now, but you can get a general idea of what it was like to be in mid 18th century plantation house.

Middleton place is supposed to be nice too. It has great gardens,but really steep admission.

Good walking in CHS. I enjoyed the cemetery and walking around all the old row houses.

If you can stay until Saturday AM, be sure and the farmer's market. Its rather nice.

I stayed at the westin, it was okay. Good coffee shop on the corner. I didn't really eat downtown, but went out with colleagues in Mt. Pleasant.

CHS is a moneyed place, very interesting to see.

lala
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:23 am

What do you think of Charleston

I'm thinking about going there. I think I remembered hearing it was really nice to visit, but I want to get someone else to back that up.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Charleston is a very nice place to visit.

Don't know when you plan to visit or what your interests are but Charleston is a very interesting and almost unique in the US as a place to visit. Try the period around late March/early April to see the very best gardens. The historical houses and plantations are open year round. The Spoleto Art Festival runs for 17 days starting the Friday before Memorial Day.
Try Googling and you will get a taste of the whole range of things to see and do. Good luck!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:39 am

Thanks for the recommendation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.