Reload this Page >

Bern's steak house in Tampa

Old Nov 2, 04, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: statusless these days

Was at this outfit for a business dinner last week. I won't say anything about the $4k bill for 20 but..... is the reputation really deserved?

The waitstaff are said to spend anywhere from 1-3 years in the kitchen before they're even allowed to become serving trainees. Food cost is supposed to be 2x the industry average for comparable restaurants. Some of the basic choices can be very good value but I am not sure if it's worth it (I wasn't the one who was paying!)

www.bernssteakhouse.com ?
Old Nov 3, 04, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by terenz
Was at this outfit for a business dinner last week. I won't say anything about the $4k bill for 20 but..... is the reputation really deserved?

The waitstaff are said to spend anywhere from 1-3 years in the kitchen before they're even allowed to become serving trainees. Food cost is supposed to be 2x the industry average for comparable restaurants. Some of the basic choices can be very good value but I am not sure if it's worth it (I wasn't the one who was paying!)

www.bernssteakhouse.com ?
Some people love the place some do not. I fall firmly in the latter group.
Only eat at the place when out of towners visit and want to go there ( and I am unable to convince them to do otherwise)
Decent steak, rest of menu uninspiring.
Excellent restaurant next door though, inventive American fare = SideBerns.
mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Nov 3, 04 at 1:59 pm
Old Dec 18, 04, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO, they used to be good about two years ago, but there quality has drastically decreased.
Old Dec 18, 04, 3:58 pm

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
I know eight people that will never go back.
Old Dec 18, 04, 7:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
My wife and I go to Bern's occasionally. But we usually go the bargain route and sit in the bar and order special items not on the menu (PM me for more info). I'll take out of town guests and clients/colleagues for the full Bern's experience in the dining room.
Old Dec 18, 04, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Gold, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, SWDgold, Choicepl, HYgld
Overated, outdated, over priced. That being said the service is very good and its like a trip to Disney; everyones gotta do it once. IF you go you have to take the kitchen tour and to go upstairs for some coffee and dessert. Hope you got the full tour for the price of that check...

Last edited by coplatua1k; Dec 18, 04 at 7:54 pm

Search this Thread