Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

ANY Cuban restaurants on the gulf coast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

As the subject line says. The Gulf coast seems to be the exclusive domain of white bread america dining. Not much Cuban in evidence. Hoping to find some in Sarasota, Fort Myers, Naples...
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:53 pm

Only one Cuban restaurant (chain) in Zagat:

Columbia

Celebration,Clearwater,Sarasota,St. Petersburg,Ybor City
1241 Gulf Blvd. (½ mi. south of Sand Key Bridge) Clearwater, FL, 33767 (727) 596-8400
411 St. Armands Circle (Blvd. of the Presidents) Sarasota, FL, 34236 (941) 388-3987
2117 E. Seventh Ave. (bet. 21st & 22nd Sts.) Ybor City, FL, 33605 (813) 248-4961
800 Second Ave. (Beach Ave.) St. Petersburg, FL, 33711 (727) 822-8000
649 Front St. (Sycamore St.) Celebration, FL, 34747 (407) 566-1505

“If it didn’t exist, Hemingway would have invented it”: this venerable indoor/outdoor Ybor City Spanish/Cuban, the first of the Gonzmart family’s statewide chain, delivers a “festive”, “authentic” Iberian interlude (with flamenco dancers, even!) in a historic tiled building; perennials like the 1905 salad (so called to commemorate the restaurant’s founding), black bean soup, paella and sangria are strongest here, but St. Petersburg’s pier view and the people-watching at Sarasota’s St. Armands Circle are compensations.
Actually, we have some Cuban restaurants in Naples. One is at the "Bank of Naples Plaza" near Hilton on US-41.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, and MM, Marriott Platinum
I've been to the Colombia in Celebration and Ybor City very good but a bit pricey compared to the small mom and pop Cubana restaurants in Miami. I prefer the smaller ones.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I am indeed looking for the small mom 'n pops. Not sure I want to go to Columbia which is more Spanish than (down to earth) Cuban? I am hoping to find ones like El Siboney in Key West and Puerto Segua in South Beach. Any specific names most welcome.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, Marriot
I don't know how fancy you're looking for but there are many if you drive around. The Waters Ave area (west of Hillsbourough Ave) had a few cafeterias, which reminded me of when I lived in Miami. If you speak the language, a local can usually guide you somewhere. And there's always Ybor City, although it's gotten a bit too touristy.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
A little late jumping in here, but on my last visit to the parents in Naples, my dad and I got some quite tasty Cuban food at the World Bakery (or might be called World Bakery and Cafe). Mom and pop, not fancy, and cheap. My dad said he and my Mom also go there sometimes for dinner. It is a Cuban bakery with food in a small strip mall located on Golden Gate Blvd. (I think...might be Pine Ridge), slightly west of 951/Collier Blvd. Every Cuban and Puerto Rican in the area seems to be hip to the place, which is a good sign.

Last edited by MelP; Sep 20, 2004 at 12:55 pm
Old Sep 20, 2004, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Never too late. Thanks! How far a drive is this from the highway (I-15?) and how long would you estimate it'd take to get to from Marco Island?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
El Habanero in Sarasota is an excellent choice for Cuban food.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by terenz
Never too late. Thanks! How far a drive is this from the highway (I-15?) and how long would you estimate it'd take to get to from Marco Island?
World Bakery & Cafeteria
4075 Pine Ridge Road Suite 10
Naples, FL 34119
239-304-0333

It's on the corner of Collier Blvd., which leads/comes strait to/from Marco Island, so it's easy to find .. but a 25 +/- drive from Marco Island.

The I-75 is not far and has exits at both Collier Blvd. and Pine Ridge Road

I don't know the place, I believe it's at a newer strip mall ... on Collier Blvd. are some "real" Cuban places ... the area is called Golden Gate with lots of Cubans.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Updates for '08. ANy in RSW?

Just wondering if there are any in the Fort Myers area?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Just wondering if there are any in the Fort Myers area?
There's actually quite a few. My long-time fav. for 15+ years is Cachet Bar & Grill. It's restaurant by day and early evening, nightclub by night.

2245 Winkler Ave
Fort Myers, FL 33901-9161
(239) 277-7662

Please note that's Winkler AVE (just north of Edison Mall), not Winkler ROAD which is in S. Fort Myers.

In general, it's slow on Mondays and gradually picks up steam. By Friday it's often difficult to get a seat for lunch. Practically everyone who's someone in Ft. Myers eats there. Judges, attorneys, businessmen, and plenty of latinos.

For Naples, I'd recommend Fernandez de Bull. It's been around for many years as well (I know the first time I ate there was back in grade school). It used to be on US 41, now on Airport Rd.

Fernandez de Bull
1265 Airport Rd S
Naples, FL 34104
(239) 659-2996‎

Also, for those looking for Cuban food in Tampa, skip Ybor and head further north to Columbus Drive. Plenty of choices up there. Archo Ires is good, La Teresita's cheap and usually good (just don't look in the kitchen).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.