Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite BBQ - anywhere in the South

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Monells is an inexpensive causal place downtown to get some quintessential southern fare served family style. More food will be served to you there than you could possibly eat.
I wish I’d seen your list a week ago! Shucks.

Not BBQ, but we enjoyed Monells at the Manor enough that the wife insisted we stop there for a meal before flying out. And then got a to-go meal for the plane. Fried chicken lost some of its crunch but still far outshined inflight catering.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Bar B Q House in Troy Alabama is fantastic!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Mr. Kipper and I are driving from Richardson, Texas back to BWI on Friday and Saturday. We'll be looking to do quick, take-out BBQ or places that have tables outside generally. Any suggestions along the way? We'll be taking I-30 to I-40 to I-81, so recommendations specifically in Tennessee along I-40 (Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and arguments for stopping there as opposed to other destinations), although we could be convinced to stop in Arkansas if there's somewhere along the way, and phenomenal.

We will have one or two dogs with us, and I'm uncertain of the weather, so quick (take-out, drive-thru, or tables outside) is greatly appreciated. My concern with a lot of the places listed here is how long a meal will take.

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
Mr. Kipper and I are driving from Richardson, Texas back to BWI on Friday and Saturday. We'll be looking to do quick, take-out BBQ or places that have tables outside generally. Any suggestions along the way? We'll be taking I-30 to I-40 to I-81, so recommendations specifically in Tennessee along I-40 (Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and arguments for stopping there as opposed to other destinations), although we could be convinced to stop in Arkansas if there's somewhere along the way, and phenomenal.

We will have one or two dogs with us, and I'm uncertain of the weather, so quick (take-out, drive-thru, or tables outside) is greatly appreciated. My concern with a lot of the places listed here is how long a meal will take.

Thanks!
Along I-40 in East Tennessee you may encounter a chain called "Buddy's". It's decent and ticks all your boxes - at some locations. A couple of the newer ones even have fireplaces inside. They are generally clean and have drive-through windows. I don't think most have outdoor seating. A pulled pork sandwich won't set you back much and the sides are excellent. I'm a big fan of their fries. And of course there's hush puppies, slaw and green beans. Not a huge choice of sauces but their standard sauce is fine for me. Here's a link. A work of caution - the smoked turkey is served cold and I find it dry. I also don't like their smoked wings. The baked beans aren't that special and the driver cannot be allowed to order the corn on the cob lest his/her fingers slip off the steering wheel.

We usually stop in Lenoir City on our way back south. I used to frequent Oak Ridge when I worked there and Morristown when I lived and worked nearby. Most aren't directly off the interstate and if you choose Magnolia Ave in Knoxville, keep the doors locked and your hand on your concealed carry.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Along I-40 in East Tennessee you may encounter a chain called "Buddy's". It's decent and ticks all your boxes - at some locations. A couple of the newer ones even have fireplaces inside. They are generally clean and have drive-through windows. I don't think most have outdoor seating. A pulled pork sandwich won't set you back much and the sides are excellent. I'm a big fan of their fries. And of course there's hush puppies, slaw and green beans. Not a huge choice of sauces but their standard sauce is fine for me. Here's a link. A work of caution - the smoked turkey is served cold and I find it dry. I also don't like their smoked wings. The baked beans aren't that special and the driver cannot be allowed to order the corn on the cob lest his/her fingers slip off the steering wheel.

We usually stop in Lenoir City on our way back south. I used to frequent Oak Ridge when I worked there and Morristown when I lived and worked nearby. Most aren't directly off the interstate and if you choose Magnolia Ave in Knoxville, keep the doors locked and your hand on your concealed carry.
Thanks. I'll look for that.

Unfortunately, we're flying down to Texas, and knowing that we'll end up in Maryland, I don't think we'll be taking our CCWs.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Thanks. I'll look for that.

Unfortunately, we're flying down to Texas, and knowing that we'll end up in Maryland, I don't think we'll be taking our CCWs.
rhere is a great place in Memphis that fits that bill. I’m racking my brain for the name. Shady part of town. Small strip mall. Bars on the windows. I carry when I’m there.
Can anyone else think of the name? I’ll post it when it comes to me.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX

Thanks!
Too bad you won't be in the Memphis area for MIM BBQ, I'd invite you to have some real competition BBQ from a grand champion team. But when the husband and I are in Memphis (outside of MIM BBQ competition) our go to is Central BBQ, the original on Central with a large outdoor seating area that is pet friendly. They have several other locations, including one in Nashville, that I've never been to, so not sure of setups.

For ribs, my husband thinks Silky O'Sullivans on Beale Street has the best ribs (which is the category we compete in with our tiny NC team and have won at some NC BBQ competitions). Huge outdoor dining area, not sure about pups but they have resident goats

Have fun on your road trip! We'll be doing (part of) the I-81 to I-40 portion in May for MIM
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by SJWarrior

rhere is a great place in Memphis that fits that bill. I’m racking my brain for the name. Shady part of town. Small strip mall. Bars on the windows. I carry when I’m there.
Can anyone else think of the name? I’ll post it when it comes to me.
Thank you!
Originally Posted by hipquest
Too bad you won't be in the Memphis area for MIM BBQ, I'd invite you to have some real competition BBQ from a grand champion team. But when the husband and I are in Memphis (outside of MIM BBQ competition) our go to is Central BBQ, the original on Central with a large outdoor seating area that is pet friendly. They have several other locations, including one in Nashville, that I've never been to, so not sure of setups.

For ribs, my husband thinks Silky O'Sullivans on Beale Street has the best ribs (which is the category we compete in with our tiny NC team and have won at some NC BBQ competitions). Huge outdoor dining area, not sure about pups but they have resident goats

Have fun on your road trip! We'll be doing (part of) the I-81 to I-40 portion in May for MIM
MIM BBQ sounds great, but our stop is going to be very quick. Central BBQ might work. My concern is that I don't want to leave the pup in the car, even if the windows are down some. Central BBQ sounds like it may work.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Found it. Cozy Corner restaurant 735 North Parkway Memphis Tn. It’s just north of I-40. Amazing Q
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by SJWarrior
Found it. Cozy Corner restaurant 735 North Parkway Memphis Tn. It’s just north of I-40. Amazing Q
Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:05 pm

Somewhere between ATL and Montgomery?

Next Wednesday I'll be flying into ATL and driving to Montgomery, AL. I get into ATL a little before 5, so if there's a particularly good place on the road between the two cities--basically anything within a few miles of I-85, I'd be game. I looked over the past few pages, and I saw @pbiflyer's recommendation of Dreamland in Montgomery, but also @Madone59's review. All the other recommended places are a wee bit off the route--don't think I'll hit Huntsville in this trip.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Next Wednesday I'll be flying into ATL and driving to Montgomery, AL. I get into ATL a little before 5, so if there's a particularly good place on the road between the two cities--basically anything within a few miles of I-85, I'd be game. I looked over the past few pages, and I saw @pbiflyer's recommendation of Dreamland in Montgomery, but also @Madone59's review. All the other recommended places are a wee bit off the route--don't think I'll hit Huntsville in this trip.
My recommendation was based upon it being the only one I found. I would not go out of my way. Sadly, I do not know of ones between, but would look at Auburn or Tuskegee. Bet there is one in one of those places.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:43 am

We ended up not stopping in Memphis, Nashville, or Knoxville, due to timing and not wanting to detour too far off of the interstate. We did stop in Bristol, TN at Baconland BBQ, which was very good.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
How can one not stop at a place called Baconland? I want to go to Bristol just to visit there now.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
@cmn.jcs when are you getting into Alabama and do you have time to go a little South of Montgomery? If you don't have the time Dreamland isn't bad, but you can drive a little bit south on 231 for some more authentic road-side BBQ.
pbiflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.