Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Favorite BBQ - anywhere in the South

Favorite BBQ - anywhere in the South

Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Madone59
What's good in the Jacksonville area? I'm heading to Amelia Island for work next week.
Jacksonville proper is not near Amelia Island. There is a hole in the wall BBQ place on Amelia Island, called State Line BBQ. Haven't been in years, but had good pork sandwiches. https://state-line-barbecue-company.business.site/

That being said, make sure you try some seafood while on the island.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
My favorite (so far) is 12 bones in Asheville/Arden, NC. https://www.12bones.com/
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I'm a big fan of Corky's BBQ in Brentwood!
I am sorry (and to each their own I guess), but as a native Nashvillian and someone who has lived he my entire life I can't let this pass as a place I would tell visitors to eat at when visiting. I grew up 1 mile from Corky's and IMO its just average BBQ. Martin's is my personal Fav for Nashville which is pretty good, but even that is not in the same league to some of the BBQ I have had in Memphis and Texas. I don't think Nashville is all that strong when it comes to BBQ.

For those visiting my fair city here are a few local homegrown places I love to eat.

Meat and 3: Arnolds
HIgh End Steakhouse: Kanye Prime
Hattie B's for hot chicken
Fine dining Husk, Catbird Seat, Lockeland table
Joey's house of Pizza-be prepared to wait and its lunch only
Burgers: Brothers Burger joint and Burger Republic
Indian: Chauhan Ale and Masala House
Thai: Thai Esane and Bangkokville

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Sep 27, 2018 at 11:00 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I am sorry (and to each their own I guess), but as a native Nashvillian and someone who has lived he my entire life I can't let this pass as a place I would tell visitors to eat at when visiting. I grew up 1 mile from Corky's and IMO its just average BBQ. Martin's is my personal Fav for Nashville which is pretty good, but even that is not in the same league to some of the BBQ I have had in Memphis and Texas. I don't think Nashville is all that strong when it comes to BBQ.

For those visiting my fair city here are a few local homegrown places I love to eat.

Meat and 3: Arnolds
Hattie B's for hot chicken
Fine dining Husk, Catbird Seat, Lockeland table
Joey's house of Pizza-be prepared to wait and its lunch only
Burgers: Brothers Burger joint and Burger Republic
Indian: Chauhan Ale and Masala House
Thai: Thai Esane and Bangkokville
I really appreciate the list and will check some of them out next time I am in town!!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I could expand on that list quite a bit. The are so many really good options in Nashville now it would take me a lot longer than I want to spend to list them all. I do not look at this thread all that often so if anyone sees this and wants to inquire about specific spaces they have been told eat in Nashville, Brentwood, and Franklin area feel free to PM me. I have lived here my entire life so I know most all of them.

I will add Margo's in East Nashville. She was a real pioneer in the food movement here in town and was the first to open really nice option for East Nashvillians to eat.

Monells is an inexpensive causal place downtown to get some quintessential southern fare served family style. More food will be served to you there than you could possibly eat.

Tandy Wilson of the restaurant City House won a James Beard award (best southeast) a few years back so I would be remiss if I did not mention his establishment. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Sep 28, 2018 at 6:39 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Rendezvous in Memphis (maybe considered a tourist trap but I love that dry rub) and Iron Works in Austin (used to get the Junior Brown special: half rack/half chicken.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Rendezvous in Memphis (maybe considered a tourist trap but I love that dry rub) and Iron Works in Austin (used to get the Junior Brown special: half rack/half chicken.
While it is a tourist trap, their lamb riblets are awesome. Expensive, small portion, but awesome.

I like Iron Works as well. Solid BBQ.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:22 pm

Very last minute trip to Alabama. Into Huntsville tomorrow out of Montgomery Saturday. Where should I eat Thursday night in Birmingham, and where should I eat Friday night in Montgomery? Anyone want to join me??
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very last minute trip to Alabama. Into Huntsville tomorrow out of Montgomery Saturday. Where should I eat Thursday night in Birmingham, and where should I eat Friday night in Montgomery? Anyone want to join me??
I have no idea if there is better BBQ in Montgomery, but I ate here a couple years ago and it was good, Dreamland BBQ. Walking distance from downtown hotels. https://www.dreamlandbbq.com/
It is now a chain and this was not the original.
There may be far better BBQ choices, I've only been to Montgomery that one time.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
I have no idea if there is better BBQ in Montgomery, but I ate here a couple years ago and it was good, Dreamland BBQ. Walking distance from downtown hotels. https://www.dreamlandbbq.com/
It is now a chain and this was not the original.
There may be far better BBQ choices, I've only been to Montgomery that one time.
So I ended up at Dreamland and have to be honest it wasn't the best. Saw's in Birmingham was better in my opinion. It looks like I'll be back next week and have a chance to try a few more.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I ended up at Dreamland and have to be honest it wasn't the best. Saw's in Birmingham was better in my opinion. It looks like I'll be back next week and have a chance to try a few more.
Thanks for the update. Good to know!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Thanks for the update. Good to know!
I am heading back to Bama for work 10/22-10/24. Expect more delicious updates!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go

Rumor has it that Kanye Prime now wants to be called Ye Prime.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:16 pm

Miss Myra's in Birmingham!!!

Game over all, this is it. Also, Big Daddy's in Enterprise Alabama is amazing!

Last edited by Madone59; Oct 25, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Silver
Good choice with Saw's in BHAM. Next time you're up near Huntsville try Big Bob Gibson over in Decatur, AL. And if you ever get over to Florence, AL head over to Smokin on the Blvd for the ribs. Only open on Thurs, Fri, and Sat

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.