Favorite BBQ - anywhere in the South

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, UA
The Bar-B-Q Shop Memphis

Fiery Ron's Home Team BBQ Charleston, SC
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Any recommendations for Nashville? I'll be there for a conference in July and desperately need BBQ.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
Any recommendations for Nashville? I'll be there for a conference in July and desperately need BBQ.
Will you be downtown or out at the Gaylord?

Downtown has the famous Jack's. Pretty good. I liked Rippy's across the street a bit better.
They have opened up a Martin's BBQ downtown as well. I have not been there, but the original is great. But you never know, as they are expanding....

Most important downtown. While most bars will have 1 or 2 decent beers, Broadway Brewhouse has a great selection. A bit further down the road is a Flying Saucer. If you have never been to one, worth a visit. Read the quotes on the saucers (awarded to a person who has had 200 different beers at a Saucer).

If you are out at Gaylord, you are screwed without a car.

If you are driving, Peg Leg Porkers in the Gulch is good. The Gulch is a new area with some good breweries (Yazoo & Jackalope) and bars with good selection of beers. I really liked Hops & Crafts, but I might have just hit it on a good day. Nice folks there.

A bit further afield, there are a few locations for Edley's which is good.

In addition to BBQ, try Hot Chicken (there are a couple places) and a "meat and three", southern cooking. A meat (order fried chicken) and three sides, order collard greens as one of the sides.

Last edited by pbiflyer; Jun 27, 2018 at 9:28 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer

Downtown has the famous Jack's. Pretty good. I liked Rippy's across the street a bit better.
They have opened up a Martin's BBQ downtown as well. I have not been there, but the original is great. But you never know, as they are expanding....

Most important downtown. While most bars will have 1 or 2 decent beers, Broadway Brewhouse has a great selection. A bit further down the road is a Flying Saucer. If you have never been to one, worth a visit. Read the quotes on the saucers (awarded to a person who has had 200 different beers at a Saucer).

If you are driving, Peg Leg Porkers in the Gulch is good. The Gulch is a new area with some good breweries (Yazoo & Jackalope) and bars with good selection of beers. I really liked Hops & Crafts, but I might have just hit it on a good day. Nice folks there.

In addition to BBQ, try Hot Chicken (there are a couple places) and a "meat and three", southern cooking. A meat (order fried chicken) and three sides, order collard greens as one of the sides.
I'll be at the Convention Center. I'm up for Uber if necessary. I think I have Thursday night for dinner and Sunday for lunch free, so I can try two.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Let me look when I get a chance.
BTW in terminal C there is a Yazoo beer kiosk, if you have time to kill at the airport.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I'm a big fan of Corky's BBQ in Brentwood!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:42 pm

Let me look when I get a chance.
BTW in terminal C there is a Yazoo beer kiosk, if you have time to kill at the airport.
Thanks. I will probably have some time to kill at the airport.
Originally Posted by Madone59
I'm a big fan of Corky's BBQ in Brentwood!
Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:53 pm

Looks like I'll be about 5 minutes away walking from Jack's. It's an 18 minute walk to Peg Leg Porker's. Or, a quick Uber drive.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Home - Bad Brad's
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
The pictures made me very hungry. Is it still just 9:45 in the morning? Too early for ribs?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BamaVol
The pictures made me very hungry. Is it still just 9:45 in the morning? Too early for ribs?
It's never too early for ribs, just ask Frank Underwood
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:36 am

Adding The Smoke Pit in Concord, NC. It's attached to The Stock Yard meat market and oh my god it's great. If it isn't the best I've ever had, I can't remember what is!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
Adding The Smoke Pit in Concord, NC. It's attached to The Stock Yard meat market and oh my god it's great. If it isn't the best I've ever had, I can't remember what is!
I had a very good lunch there a little over a year ago. It's definitely worth a visit.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:17 pm

Orlando - 4 Rivers (Texas style) the most tender and flavorful meats generally a long line which is a sign.
Memphis - Central BBQ - Made a video from recent trip and marked the BBQ segment with link below - advance to 3:25 for Central BBQ.

Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:15 am

What's good in the Jacksonville area? I'm heading to Amelia Island for work next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.