FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   Savannah Seafood (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/309369-savannah-seafood.html)

GeorgeBurdell Jul 27, 2003 12:56 am

Savannah Seafood

Just got back from a weekend in Savannah, GA. Here's the highlights:

Saturday lunch at Williams Seafood. This is the oldest (1936) of Savannah's seafood restaurants. Like most all good ones there, started out associated with some sort of fishing operation. No lunch specials on weekend so it wasn't cheap. Food was good, had a nice fish sandwich with all the good stuff. Williams (to me) is not the best in Savannah but quite consistent and certainly not to be overlooked.
Williams Seafood
8010 Hwy. 80
Savannah , GA 31410
Phone: (912) 897-2219

Saturday dinner at Teeple's. Located in the fishing village of Thunderbolt between Savannah and Tybee Island (the beach), Teeple's is the for steamed (not boiled) seafood. Don't be shocked when you pull up, you don't go here for the decor. Tables are varnished plywood with holes in the middle where you chuck anything disposable (crab clawa, beer bottles, napkins, etc.) during the meal. Wife and I had the steamed seafood feast. At $29, it ain't cheap but you get your money's worth. Blue crab, rock shrimp, crawfish, snow crab legs and local white shrimp are heaped on a large platter with cole slaw and a baked potato. One thing Teeple's does right is properly cook their seafood. I've had many a meal where the crab legs were overcooked and/or rubbery. Not the case here. BTW, there are cheaper menu items.
http://www.marketplacenow.com/teeples/

Sunday lunch took place on the way out of town at Love's. Located on the Ogeechee river just outside of town, Love's is another really ancient (1943) restaurant. Some scene's from the movie Forrest Gump were filmed here. Specialty is catfish and fried seafood. I had the captain's platter for $18. Catfish, flounder, scallops, oysters, white shrimp and crab balls, along with a large tossed salad and Savannah red rice. I doubt this place owns a freezer because everything on my plate was super fresh. Love's is convenient to I-95 if you're passing through and want to sample some of the local seafood specialties.
(912) 925-3616
Serving the area's finest seafood since 1943. Located on the scenic Ogeechee River, just 15 minutes from downtown Savannah.
Hours: Tues.-Sat., 5-10 p.m.; Sun., noon-9 p.m.
Location: Located on Hwy. 17, overlooking the Ogeechee River.

In general, stay away from River St. and other touristy seafood restaurants. The greater Savannah area had some great places to eat seafood that are off the beaten path.

[This message has been edited by GeorgeBurdell (edited 07-27-2003).]

Duhey2 Aug 3, 2003 12:39 am

Thanks GB! I'm heading there Monday and will keep these in mind!

yorock Aug 6, 2003 3:40 pm

I have to add that I have really enjoyed the low coutry boil at Williams. However, don't go there looking for grilled menu items. A lot of their stuff is fried, and they don't have many vegetables on the menu.

yorock

ccna101 Oct 7, 2020 6:45 am

Bump- I do know this is 17 years old thread :p

Any update (even Covid-19) ?

Ocn Vw 1K Oct 12, 2020 11:37 am

ccna101, in closing the thread, I want to emphasize why the important reasons for not bumping up a very old thread are especially important here.

This is about several restaurants, and a larger commercial district. So many facets about the topics of this thread have likely changed since that time. We'd invite anyone interested in having a current discussion about Savannah seafood restaurant to start a current thread in the forum, where all of the discussion could be up-to-date, and thus far more helpful to members. We'll return this thread to its state of deep sleep. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.