FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   Memphis Munching – suggestions for eats in Memphis (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/309349-memphis-munching-suggestions-eats-memphis.html)

Sweet Willie Sep 12, 2002 6:15 am

Memphis Munching – suggestions for eats in Memphis

Search in the Flyertalk South Dining Forum yielded a few Memphis eats:

Paulette's grilled catfish

and

the BBQ places of: Bozo's, Corky's, Neely's, Rendezvous,

Any other suggestions?

gsw Sep 13, 2002 7:43 pm

Here are some of my favorites:

Southern Food: The Cupboard (1400 Union Avenue---across the street from Methodist Hospital Central)

Burgers: Hueys - There are several locations, but I prefer Midtown (1927 Madison Avenue). They used to have good R&B there on Sunday evenings...the last time I was there (several years ago), I think I spotted Billy Gibbons (of ZZ Top) in the audience.

Basic Beer and Burgers Dive: P & H Cafe
(1532 Madison Avenue) You never know who will show up there.

Frank Grisanti's in the Embassy Suites, out east. The Grisanti's are one of the "first families of food" in Memphis. I like Frank's best, at least since Big John died.

For steak: Fowlkes Follies (spelling?)

Pam Sep 18, 2002 5:47 pm

Close; it's Folk's Folly. We have a Ruth's Chris, too (my favorite).

The Peabody has a couple of nice restaurants; Chez Phillipe is the really "uptown" one. It's been a long time since I ate there, so I don't know if it's still wonderful.

In the eastern part of the city, J. Alexander's is good.

Sweet Willie Oct 14, 2002 5:51 am

bump....

Sweet Willie Jun 11, 2003 7:07 pm

Mestizos – Memphis (near U of M.) – Venezuelan

Like a childhood riddle, Mestizos Venezuelan Restaurant is black and white and red all over. That is, Mestizos took over a spot on South Highland near Walker once occupied by a Subway sandwich shop whose interior featured those basic colors. Owner Louis Garcia made no attempt to change anything inside, not even the hyperbusy (and sort of witty) black and white wallpaper on which cartoon characters cavort with sub-type sandwiches in various circumstances and contortions.

The one element that tells you something different is going on here is the menu board over the counter.

No restaurant in Memphis, and certainly no sub shop, ever served a patacon, a "sandwich" made of two slices of smashed thin and fried plantains enclosing shredded lettuce with chicken, pork or beef enlivened by a "mestizo" sauce made of green onions, parsley and cilantro. Not surprisingly, the sauce is a beautiful pale green color. It comes with just about everything at the restaurant. It's a terrific dish, earthy and tasty and absolutely unique.

Other Venezuelan items are available.
One is a version of the familiar empanadas, made from what manager Jorje Garcia (Louis Garcia's brother) calls "corn-wheat flour." These are larger than the usual plump pocket and are deep-fried but come out fairly light and delicate. They can be filled with beef, chicken or cheese. My advice is to try all three.

Also good, though denser and a bit heavier than other fare at Mestizos, are arepas, bunlike sandwiches made from that corn-wheat flour and stuffed with cheese, onions and tomato and then with a choice of beef, chicken or pork.

Resembling a Cuban sandwich is the monocho, a long thin sandwich - they like to press that bread - with lettuce, tomato, a bountiful supply of sliced ham and, of course, mestizo sauce.

Finally, on this roster of Venezuelan treats, comes mandocas, little oval shapes of fried dough made of flour slightly sweetened with brown sugar. These are, interestingly, served with shredded mozzarella cheese and butter.
Mestizos serves a few Mexican dishes, of which I tried only the well-made, corn husk-wrapped tamale, filled, in this case, with beef.

This is not a fast-food restaurant, though service is all on plastic. After placing an order at the front counter, you'll have to wait a few minutes as the cooks actually prepare everything fresh.
And the wait isn't bad. Not when you can listen to the infectious rhythms of South American music or puzzle through that frenetic wallpaper.

Mestizos
East Memphis
546 S. Highland, near Walker
Memphis, TN
327-9808

Review from Gomemphis.com:
http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/restaur...878272,00.html

hhonorman Jun 12, 2003 3:31 pm

It's a bit touristy, but you could go to Presley's on Beale Street and have a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. I went in for lunch when I was in Memphis, just to try it. I had heard about Elvis eating this kind of sandwich that sounded disgusting. I figured if it was good enough for the King, how bad could it be. It was actually much better tasting than I had expected. It is like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, with the banana taking the place of the jelly. The restaurant has a 50's style decor, and they play Elvis songs while you eat. Not a high brow establishment, but quite fun nevertheless.

Starwood Lurker Jun 12, 2003 6:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hhonorman:
It's a bit touristy, but you could go to Presley's on Beale Street and have a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. I went in for lunch when I was in Memphis, just to try it. I had heard about Elvis eating this kind of sandwich that sounded disgusting. I figured if it was good enough for the King, how bad could it be. It was actually much better tasting than I had expected. It is like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, with the banana taking the place of the jelly. The restaurant has a 50's style decor, and they play Elvis songs while you eat. Not a high brow establishment, but quite fun nevertheless. </font>
Yeah, but did they fry it in bacon grease like the King liked his? That would make all the difference in the world. http://www.flyertalk.com/dining/ftdining_forum/wink.gif

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

willie--wonka Jun 14, 2003 9:37 am

Would somebody please fill in the name of this place for me?? You get there by going south on Highland, past Memphis State(I know it's been renamed) then west by the RR tracks. The place is a cafe with a small counter and two large rooms with formica tables. The cooks and waitresses all look like someone's grandmother, but they make the best fried chicken and chicken and dumplings you have ever had. There are something like 14 vegetable choices, including purple crowder peas, and I'm making myself hungry just writing this. If no one can remember the name, I'll even call my brother and ask. OK, the name is the Buntyn Cafe and it has moved---no new address yet. But, there is a new, approved BBQ place called Central BBQ that he says is great for wet BBQ. It's on Central, near where KDIA used to be(the locals will know).
Give a report when you get back.

[This message has been edited by willie--wonka (edited 06-14-2003).]

volrichard Jun 15, 2003 10:42 am

Rendevous over Corkys. Can't go wrong with Neely's.

http://www.thenorthendonline.com/

------------------

FlyinHawaiian Jan 18, 2023 7:51 pm

I've been to two locations of Central BBQ (Midtown and Summer) and thought the food was good; not great.

Gus' Fried Chicken Downtown was good for a casual lunch; we ordered ahead on Caviar and walked back to our hotel to eat our meal.

Across from Gus' is the Gray Canary and was recommended to us. We were much happier with the small plates than the entrees and desserts. Cocktails were good as well as the service. https://thegraycanary.com/

Erling Jensen on the way to Germantown was an excellent find; very interesting menu with impeccable white linen service. Their $45 prix fixe dinner menu was a bargain. https://ejensen.com/sunday-special-menu/